Author Topic: Done with the NRA -- NRA wants to ban bumpfire stocks & other near f/a devices  (Read 1272 times)

Offline IDescribe

Which problem are you referring to?  You completely misstated what I said.  Your statement is abstract, non-specific, devoid of context, and misstates the point of mine it actually quoted.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

For ANYONE who thinks banning ANYTHING will stop these types of attacks you are good little SUBJECTS and you are also Delusional. I've heard the rhetoric before and I'm sick of it. They will never stop until the private ownership of all firearms is at the very least so heavily regulated that the average person would not care to go through the process. Like NYC on steroids for example.
Consider this. A stolen tanker with 9K gallons of gasoline driven into a large crowd with the valves open and a simple road flare tossed into the mix. Makes an AR with a bump stock look like a rubber band gun.

Offline flattusmaximus78

Today a bill was introduced by MY PARTY from MY STATE.... wow.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Gentlemen, bring it down a few notches, or this will get locked.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is I don't believe any legal product should be banned due to one person's misuse. I also have absolutely no use for a bump fire stock, but what is happening is the left's favorite ploy - obfuscate, divide and conquer. Instead of focusing on the murderer, we are focused, with the Lefts eager assistance, focusing on firearms and for a first, firearm accessories. Even during the AWB, the lack of a bayonet lug didn't ban the sale of bayonets.
So, yes, we have a deliberate misdirection in play here, and the "slippery slope" argument is very plain and true. I have already heard the Left's favorite players talking about working in bans on semi auto rifles and standard capacity magazines, such as our beloved BREN and Scorpions. With the current Congress and President, it is unlikely, but absolutely nothing is impossible.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
A bump stock makes the rifle less accurate, and thus less safe, and ultimately less useful.  I would support the banning of such a product in any industry.  Factor in that the production of such a device is clearly intended to circumvent existing legal restrictions, in this case restrictions for fully automatic weapons, and banning them is not only perfectly logical, but also entirely predictable. 

They should be banned.

The way the new legislation is worded, any device that increases the rate of fire will be banned.  An aftermarket trigger that decreases the pre and over travel distance or decreases the pull weight of the firearm would make it illegal.  So Geissele, Timney, JP, CZCustom, Cajun Gun Works will all be gone. Resprang your gun to make it run flatter?  That's 5 years in the federal penitentiary.  There is no wording on what is an "acceptable" rate of fire.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
I would also expect binary triggers to be on the list. Another device I have absolutely no use for, but I have friends who enjoy them safely and legally.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
I would also expect binary triggers to be on the list. Another device I have absolutely no use for, but I have friends who enjoy them safely and legally.

Also, there is no mention of bumpstocks, slidefire, bumpski, etc. in it.  The wording is very open ended.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
I believe that is the idea, as they can use that to mean any type of trigger or trigger work, maybe force us all into bar triggers like on the Springfield M6, or just remove the ability to work on triggers, lightening pulls, faster rests, etc., everyone must have the equivalent of a New York Plus trigger in every semi auto firearm, and changing it would be a violation of law, complete with stickers like on the gas pumps, "Checked by Weights and Measures". Break the seal, go to jail.
I don't know if that is the ACTUAL intent, but things can be twisted far out of whack beyond where they were supposed to go, especially when worded as deliberately vaguely as possible.

Offline John A.

I also agree here.

As a gun owner, who had no involvement in what happened in Las Vegas, I refuse to accept the blame for it.

Millions of gun owners did nothing wrong when that happened, nor do "we" accept being punished for it by gov't.

Drunk guy wrecks and kills a family, people don't blame goodyear tires or champion spark plugs.

This should really be no different.

It truly pisses me off to no end that government would politicize this terrible act to further disarm and hinder millions of people who did nothing wrong, nor are inclined to.

I can only ask each of you who are parents to answer this question because I cannot think of another way to say it.

If you have  two children.  One walks over to the one sitting in the corner coloring in his book and kicks him over, are you going to spank both children because one of them did wrong?

Don't try to infringe my rights because someone else did something wrong either.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline flattusmaximus78

The bill is open ended and people are still backing the NRA and what they said.

Offline Tenbones

Don't try to infringe my rights because someone else did something wrong either.

I totally agree! 

But, as long as there are people who design and manufacture these ridiculous and useless accessories, we are going to have this problem of "damned if we do, damned if we don't.  Any responsible gun owner realizes that some of these accessories have no practical value yet, if we come out against them, we are giving up our 2A rights, and if we defend them, we come across as crazed, irresponsible gun owners and shouldn't be allowed to own guns.

We can control our destiny, but we must be wise in how we do it.

Offline John A.

Just because someone makes a bomb out of pressure cookers, doesn't mean that I'm going to.  And I don't recall any politicians trying to ban pressure cookers or even marathons for that matter.

I don't live my life being told what I should or should not do because of what someone else might do.  Nor should anyone else for that matter.  That is the stand I take.

If someone is going to do evil, they're going to do it regardless of what the other millions of people do or don't do.  And this is part of the problem.  Regardless of what lawful owners do, I refuse to let my ownership of something be determined from what some criminal  might do.

Murder is already illegal. 

More laws are not going to prevent or slow murder. Only harass the people who are not the problem or inclined to commit such acts.

When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

I totally agree! 

But, as long as there are people who design and manufacture these ridiculous and useless accessories, we are going to have this problem of "damned if we do, damned if we don't.  Any responsible gun owner realizes that some of these accessories have no practical value yet, if we come out against them, we are giving up our 2A rights, and if we defend them, we come across as crazed, irresponsible gun owners and shouldn't be allowed to own guns.

We can control our destiny, but we must be wise in how we do it.

So if you don't want one of these useless ridiculous accessories you have the right not to buy one. I have no use for one but if some dude wants to spend the afternoon in a field or at a range wasting ammo that's his RIGHT. Oh yea and if I do want one it doesn't make me an irresponsible gun owner just because you think you're on some moral high ground here.
By your logic then let's ban automobiles which exceed the posted maximum speed limits. These vehicles are dangerous and ridiculous and cause some of the most serious and deadly accidents on our highways. While we are at it these crotch rocket motorcycles that easily exceed 200 mph should be banned.No one needs such a dangerous machine for transportation. They kill people and those who own them are inherently dangerous people.
So many other useless and unsafe things out there in the world we need to ban so we can look brilliant, enlightened and, caring every time some lunatic misuses some item in an evil way.
Explain to me where it ends when you start banning things this way.
What if this looney in Las Vegas would have been using a run of the mill AR 15 without a bump stock? Would you feel the same if the anti's beat the assault weapons ban drum again? 
I'm not giving an inch to any one who wants to tell me what I can or can't have.

By the way remember the Virginia Tech shooter killed 32 and wounded 17 with just handguns.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:15:33 PM by SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM »

Offline Moken

For those that say, not one inch. Well that mule left the barn in 1934 (NFA). Get rid of NFA and we have no problems. That will happen right after the Pope becomes a Baptist. Just sayin'

anything