Author Topic: More Witness Hunter 10mm practice  (Read 282 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

More Witness Hunter 10mm practice
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
Last night I loaded a work up with some coated 180 gr bullets over BE-86 for my Witness Hunter. I was supposed to go shooting with a big group of friends (it had been planned for a while), but it fell through. So I went out on my own.... Goals were testing the loads and practicing accuracy, and then work on draws for speed.

Here's my groups at 30 yards, standing 2 hand grip, as I went through the work up. I seem to average around 3.5" and my smallest group today was 2.75". Im feeling more consistent and the groups are having more shots tighter together. I need to get the fliers pulled in for consistency in getting 2" groups.

The draw and first shot got down around 1.16 seconds, but I have a lot of work to do on that. Dry fire is slowly resuming and what I did this week paid off.

To end on a fun note I decided to shoot at some clay pigeons people left behind. I set them up at 40 yards and threw 2 rounds into my SP-01. First shot went low and I broke one with the second. I decided this was pretty cool and I'd go for the other 4 clay pigeons. I loaded 5 rounds into my SP-01 and broke all 4 clay pigeons in 5 shots! My practice is paying off, I never would have expected this just a few months ago. Too bad I didn't have a friend there to take video... At that point I had to run to make it back on time, but I was pleased with some good practice and fun!

As a side note there was an Antelope just hanging out about 150 yards away when I arrived. I was sure it would run away when I started shooting, but it just watched me the whole time. It's between the trees in the first pic, but my phone has terrible zoom so I didn't zoom and it is hard to see it. When I drove out it was just hanging out still, so I snagged a picture from my car.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:41:30 PM by Scarlett Pistol »
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline John1125

• Leaving a carbon footprint one round at a time .
Re: More Witness Hunter 10mm practice
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 11:23:45 PM »
Good shooting ! Looks like beautiful country .

Life is too short to live with a sorry trigger............

You shoot 250,000 rounds figuring out your mistakes , you shoot the  next 250,000  trying to correct them........

CZ75B
PreB 75
Transitional 75 X 2

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 11:29:11 PM »
Good shooting ! Looks like beautiful country .
Thanks! Purposeful practice pays off. 300 or so 10mm rounds all with the intent of longer range accuracy and I'm seeing my groups shrink and my consistency improve. It has helped with all my pistols too.

We've had a pretty wet late summer so the green patches of grass were unusual for right now. It sure was a beautiful spot though. 5 minutes of extra driving and I found a gem of a spot!

"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline Evolve13

• Para Bellum, then be good at 1000 yards.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:50:43 AM »
At that distance that's darn nice groups buddy.  Sweet pistol as well.  Love the grips!! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The best defense against evil men, are good men who are skilled at violence.

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »
 Very nice groups. And NOT shot at 7 or 10  yds...like so many I see posted.  ::)

"Purposeful practice".  You have made a brilliant discovery there. So many shooters simply put rounds downrange, seldom evaluate a paper target, if they even use them, and reinforce bad habits.  One needs to be critical and reflective...even if it hurts. IF You want to improve.  I think You have figured that out. Congratulations.

I use BE-86 in my .380 reloads...need to take a look at it for my tens.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »
I used to carry a .357 magnum revolver when I was out in the woods at home (black bears).  Never had to use it.

But, looking at your groups the thought hit me, "How fast can a bear cover 30 yards (from your target to you)?"  And the second is, "How fast can you put those 5 rounds on the target?"

Trees may be your friend, if you can keep one or two between you and him/her.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 05:31:17 PM »
At that distance that's darn nice groups buddy.  Sweet pistol as well.  Love the grips!! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks! I need to get my GoPro out and record. I think that will be more helpful for me now and then its proof I'm not making these up. Even though it is of no benefit to me to do so, but I'm sure there will be people who say something at some point.

It sure is pretty. The blue finish is pretty awful. Not durable at all and it shows everything. Eventually I may refinish it if I go on a lot of hunts with it.   ;D I'm a fan of the thin grips and the red drew me in. Glad someone else likes how they look too!

Very nice groups. And NOT shot at 7 or 10  yds...like so many I see posted.  ::)

"Purposeful practice".  You have made a brilliant discovery there. So many shooters simply put rounds downrange, seldom evaluate a paper target, if they even use them, and reinforce bad habits.  One needs to be critical and reflective...even if it hurts. IF You want to improve.  I think You have figured that out. Congratulations.

Thank you! Truth is I don't think I have the hunting skills right now to stalk any animals up to 7-10 yards. So I have to be able to shoot accurately further away to compensate haha. There's definitely some great research and books on the science of how people learn and improve. It has been slower going without a coach or mentor, but things are coming together with enough books, videos, podcasts, and so forth (to compliment practice).
This one is my favorite general purpose one that has some of the foundational research:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0544456238/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Musicians really have the principles of practice, learning, and development down well (as that book points out from their research). Ironically, Steve Anderson came from a music background and built his practice and training on those principles, just applied to shooting. I really like his books and it turns out they have a lot of very solid principles that I don't think he initially realized were so scientifically valid - he just saw that they worked. His podcast is unique but I really appreciate the content.

Brian Enos' book is a must.

The American Warrior Podcast has some really good nuggets. He has some pre-determined beliefs and I think that holds him back in his interviewing depth with the incredible guests he has. I'll rephrase that... Having done research interviews in my career he definitely lets his pre-existing ideas and knowledge hamper the questions he could ask his guests. Since that isn't his initial livelihood, he probably has no idea and I should be decent and send him some helpful resources.

Tim Ferris has some great information on the process of learning new skills. His best outlines about this are in his book, "The Four Hour Chef". Anyways, enough of the resources. Stuck in an airport waiting for a flight and I have nothing else to do.

I use BE-86 in my .380 reloads...need to take a look at it for my tens.

Ooh, how is it in .380? I initially got it for 9mm and boy oh boy are those some stout 9mm loads. It has a lot of energy without going beyond the load data and creating excess pressure. I was going to use it for USPSA loads before they release Sport Pistol (which is another awesome powder). It doesn't push loads out as fast as Power Pistol... but the loads are working well and they are pretty powerful. I am going to work up some loads with some Long Shot that I have on hand. It will likely be more dirty and smokey, but it seems like will push those 10mm rounds to just about their limit (at least from what I can gather and read).
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »
I used to carry a .357 magnum revolver when I was out in the woods at home (black bears).  Never had to use it.

But, looking at your groups the thought hit me, "How fast can a bear cover 30 yards (from your target to you)?"  And the second is, "How fast can you put those 5 rounds on the target?"

Trees may be your friend, if you can keep one or two between you and him/her.

Good point! I'm pretty sure my Underwood Extreme Penetrators are pushing more Energy than 357 Magnum rounds, or at least equivalent. Around Utah this will just be for hunting. No real bear protection here, at least Grizzly Bear. Once I order a big batch of bullets for my reloads I'll have to practice groups at speed though, because you're right. I may just make another pistol in 10mm with a muzzle brake so I can shoot full power 10mm loads even faster. I was actually looking at a Witness Compact last night for this exact reason. With the intent of then getting a longer barrel and having it threaded. Ugh, I am going down a path of more spending...
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline radny97

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »
Nice pistol, nice groups, nice country. Great post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 01:08:40 AM »
Nice pistol, nice groups, nice country. Great post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks!

2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm