Author Topic: WHAT'S in your CCW 2nd mag ???  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Evolve13

• BANNED
    • It Will Come Back Ten Fold
Re: WHAT'S in your CCW 2nd mag ???
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 08:56:10 PM »
Doc,
...2 shot quick at center mass, not really aiming just pushing out and letting go.  The goal being tight two shot group dead center.....

great tip.......one to really follow.  Setting up and aiming is ideal, but probably not realistic in many cases......

Guardian, I agree it would be nice to always aim, and I also do the three shot drill slower, all aimed but as we all know, if the SHTF you ain't got that extra half second. 

So I just pull the weapon, full push out locking my elbows and look at the center mass knowing from memory or hoping at least that those two will go where I'm looking.

I try for a 3-5" group.

Then for good measure in case the zombie is still moving forward I raise, sight and drop one in the nose!!

I try to do that each range trip. 

It's one of three drills that might really apply to a real life scenario.
The best defense against evil men,
are good men who are skilled at violence.

Offline Evolve13

• BANNED
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 08:57:49 PM »
Same Speer or Hornady 124 gr JHPs  in both or all three mags.
My sheet rock dust is at a minimum irritating to the eyes and the fmj penetration is irritating to my neighbors..

Hysterical!!!!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2017, 10:48:35 PM »

Quote from: MadDuner
While I DO practice shooting at 100 yards with a handgun - I know I'd have a very difficult time convincing a judge or jury that I felt threatened by a guy with a knife at that range....
Very sadly, Las Vegas proved that is no longer true, and we may end up taking longer shots with side arms in a terrorist attack. No, I could not have made a 400 yard shot into that window with my Phantom, but I do know I can hit a man sized target at 50 yards with little difficulty.
Also, all carry ammo is 135gr FlexTip Hornandy Critical Duty.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:35 PM »
I hope to never be in the wrong place at the wrong time....
But if it does ever happen - I hope my hundreds of thousands of rounds fired and hours of practice and training is of some use at that point.

I'll continue to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2017, 12:27:18 AM »
Amen.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2017, 06:05:47 PM »
Any good practice makes for good muscle memory that's what we end up relying on.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Evolve13

• BANNED
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »
I hope to never be in the wrong place at the wrong time....
But if it does ever happen - I hope my hundreds of thousands of rounds fired and hours of practice and training is of some use at that point.

I'll continue to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Agreed. 

The Guardian

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2017, 10:44:46 PM »
......I just pull the weapon, full push out locking my elbows and look at the center mass knowing from memory or hoping at least that those two will go where I'm looking.

I try for a 3-5" group.

Ditto.....  8)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2017, 11:51:45 PM »
Try this for a test.
Put a man size waist up silhouette about 6-8 feet in front of your position.
Use someone to call it or a shot timer on delay:  On signal Draw your handgun as fast you can draw safely then then as fast as you possibly can,  fire two to the body and one to the head. " Look ONLY at the chest" NOT the pistol OR the hits.  "Look" ONLY at the head NOT the pistol.  Don't try for groups,  Don't try for score or anything but shooting  speed.
Do this as fast as you can pull the trigger .  = very important part of the test. 
Do this with the pistol you shoot the most.

Offline Long_shot

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2017, 10:38:55 PM »
All of mine are defensive rounds if I am carrying them.

Why is the second mag not loaded with the same defensive rounds?
I'm just thinking what if, the bad guy is behind a wall, maybe in my house. FMJ would penetrate better. I guess I'm just thinking better penetration if I need it.
That?s why I switched to the Underwood Extreme Defender, good terminal ballistics with ability to d feat barriers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm off to do my research on these. Thanks!

Offline ranastas

WHAT'S in your CCW 2nd mag ???
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 01:39:32 AM »
No problem, expensive but very very nasty
Good info here and comparison to my previous choice the HST

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:54:53 AM by ranastas »

Ron M.

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2017, 11:46:56 AM »
Seeing as my EDC is a 357 revolver, I carry 1 or 2 speed strips with Buffalo Bore's 38 Special 158gr LSCWHP +P ammo. I've shot several trapped hogs with this ammo, deep penetration and usually expands to nearly double it's diameter.   

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2017, 12:57:01 PM »
RE Underwood:  I'll be sticking with my standard pressure 147gr HST!  Would have been nice if he could have followed up the actual pig shoulder with the heavy slowpoke to compare with the wonderwood round.  Federal HST, 147gr does a heck of job on a shoulder roast, bone and all!

Offline ranastas

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »
RE Underwood:  I'll be sticking with my standard pressure 147gr HST!  Would have been nice if he could have followed up the actual pig shoulder with the heavy slowpoke to compare with the wonderwood round.  Federal HST, 147gr does a heck of job on a shoulder roast, bone and all!

Can?t go wrong with any HST,  I carried them for years religiously.  I just feel more comfortable with not having to depend on a hollow point  expanding. At the end of the day shot placement will determine the day, but that doesent mean I won?t take any advantage I can get.

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
HMM???
 now I ask myself  why would I carry anything other than what I thought was the best self defense ammo?
 the one that runs flawlessly in my weapon, the one that appears to have the best ballistics, the one thats generally  the most accurate at self defense range (out to say 15-18 yards).
I personally don't see why I would do anything different regardless of how many magazines that I carry.
I am a  civilian not a law enforcement person so I am not  trying to stop  a car, truck, shoot through a door etc, I can run and hide in such cases and let the police deal with that issue.