Author Topic: What most responsible way to dispose of spent primers?  (Read 254 times)

Offline Clint007

What most responsible way to dispose of spent primers?
« on: October 08, 2017, 09:34:35 PM »
Other than the trash, is there a more environmentally admirable option?

I have a full gallon jug now....

C
Huh?

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
Re: What most responsible way to dispose of spent primers?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 09:44:48 PM »
I've not done it yet.   I'm told they can be recycled.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 11:26:59 PM »
They ARE brass.  They are worth money.  Recycle them with the brass that's damaged or unacceptable.  I only recyled one  time,  but 5  gallons of brass AND spent primers bought some bullets quite a few years back. 

I donate mine to my practice range who sponsor 4H shooting with their recycled brass $$$.

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:39:32 PM »
I take them to the recycler's when I take in the brass.  The last price a month ago was $1.52 a pound at my recycler.  I'm due to make another run in a couple of weeks, since I've got 3 five gallon buckets full of brass to recycle, with another batch coming in at the end of the month.

So, in answer to your question, the most responsible way to get rid of your spent primers is to recycle them, but just remember to NOT mix in shotgun primers, since they're steel, so you won't get anywhere near the value.  Also, some recyclers won't take primers, as it depends on the individual owners.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs