Author Topic: Removing carbine hand guard, any advice ?  (Read 515 times)

Offline kyron4

Removing carbine hand guard, any advice ?
« on: October 09, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
I just got done welding up my 21mm socket tool to remove the hand guard nut on my EVO carbine. In addition to the 1/2" drive on the end I made the tool as a "T"  handle tool to keep even torque on it. I've been soaking the nut threads down with Kroil twice a day for a week in hopes of soften the Loctite. The idea of clamping a poly receiver in a padded vice and torqueing on that nut is unsettling to say the least.  My fear is I apply to much torque and twist the barrel trunnion in the poly receiver and ruin the gun. Would a impact wrench set on 60-80 PSI work better than brute strength and a breaker bar ?  Do I leave the bolt in or remove it ? Any advice ? -Thanks

Offline OpusXJ

Re: Removing carbine hand guard, any advice ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:10:36 PM »
Leave the bolt in and clamp it around the trunnion area.
I haven't had any issues doing this with hand tools.

Offline John A.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 08:11:01 PM »
Kroil doesn't really have much effect on Loctite, but sounds like your tool will work fine.

The nut itself is just a nut that tensions on the handguard.  It's not like it really holds the gun together or anything.  It threads on and butts up against the little flange inside of the handguard.

Loosen/remove the nut and the handguard will slide straight forward and off of the gun.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 11:34:25 PM »
PB Blaster eats loctite pretty good. or just take a torch to your tool before going after the nut. a 700 degree socket should work quiet well  ::).
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline kyron4

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
I got it !  Not bad at all , the nut broke loose fairly easy but dragged with resistance most the way off. They used blue Loctite on the nut, and only a dab. It turns out to put the pistol hand guard on I need the spacer that goes behind the nut. I'll start a new thread about that.

Offline biggerhammer

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:11:21 AM »
Use the same spacer that the carbine handguard uses. In fact, I used the carbine nut and spacer when I converted my carbine to SBR.

Offline kyron4

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 09:24:16 AM »
Use the same spacer that the carbine handguard uses. In fact, I used the carbine nut and spacer when I converted my carbine to SBR.

Duh ! it was stuck inside the hand guard and I didn't see it. I got now -Thanks !

Offline usmcvet

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »
I'm glad I found you guys!  I was trying to get the Mlock carbine handguard off my pistol last night! I just bought a CZ EVO3 SL1 pistol with flash can. I’ll be sending my form 1 in this week. I came here for Some Help removing the hand guard.

I was going to attach an HK Parts 3 Lug adapter to my bbl so I could run my suppressor under the habdguard  but I don’t think that’s going to work. I couldn’t tighten the adapter. Looks like I’ll be buying a micro bbl with a 3 lug from ILWT. They can engraved the bbl for me too. The  bbl and Trunnion get me two compliance parts for 922r right?

OP can you show us a photo or of the he tool you made?  Would a deep socket and long extension work? I was thinking a socket on a breaker bar. The biggest I have is a 19mm. I'll fix that tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:32:09 PM by usmcvet »

Offline OpusXJ

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 09:38:48 PM »
I'm glad I found you guys!  I was trying to get the Mlock carbine handfuard of my pistol last night! I just bought a CZ EVO3 SL1 pisrol with flash can. I’ll be sending my form 1 in this week. I came here for Some Help removing the hand guard.

I was going to attach an HK Parts 3 Lug adapter to my bbl so I could run my suppressor under the habdguard  but I don’t think that’s going to work. I couldn’t tighten the adapter. Looks like I’ll be buying a micro bbl with a 3 lug from ILWT. They can engraved the bbl for me too. The  bbl and Trunnion get me two compliance parts for 922r right?

OF can you show us a photo or of the he tool you made?  Would a deep socket and long extension work? I was thinking a socket on a breaker bar. The biggest I have is a 19mm. I'll fix that tomorrow.
On the flash can model a deep socket and extension will work.

You can get 3 922r parts with barrel, trunnion and handguard.
https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-microk-conversion-kit/

Offline usmcvet

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 09:57:35 PM »
Thank of you!  This might be all I need to tighten that HK tri lug adapter. But with the price of this and the adapter I am about 1/2 to the price if the 5.3" tri lug bbl. I need the two points and would like the shorter bbl. My.45 Silencerco with the adapter is pretty long.

https://naahtoolworks.com/product/hk-3-lug-adapter-wrench/

This is cool too.

https://naahtoolworks.com/product/cz-scorpion-evo-carbine-barrel-nut-wrench/

Offline usmcvet

Removing carbine hand guard, any advice ?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 10:02:09 PM »
I'm glad I found you guys!  I was trying to get the Mlock carbine handguard off my pistol last night! I just bought a CZ EVO3 SL1 pisrol with flash can. I’ll be sending my form 1 in this week. I came here for Some Help removing the hand guard.

OF can you show us a photo or of the tool you made?  Would a deep socket and long extension work? I was thinking a socket on a breaker bar. The biggest I have is a 19mm. I'll fix that tomorrow.
On the flash can model a deep socket and extension will work.

You can get 3 922r parts with barrel, trunnion and handguard.
https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-scorpion-microk-conversion-kit/

I thanks. Their price is a little better than ILWT but his is in stock and they will engrave my info on the  bbl which I need for making my SBR. https://www.inleadwetrust.com/collections/cz-scorpion-evo-iii/products/scorpion-evo-micro-3-lug-1-2-28-tpi-custom-barrel-trunnion
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 02:46:17 PM by usmcvet »

Offline kyron4

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 01:48:14 AM »
I'm glad I found you guys!  I was trying to get the Mlock carbine handguard off my pistol last night! I just bought a CZ EVO3 SL1 pistol with flash can. I’ll be sending my form 1 in this week. I came here for Some Help removing the hand guard.

OP can you show us a photo or of the he tool you made?  Would a deep socket and long extension work? I was thinking a socket on a breaker bar. The biggest I have is a 19mm. I'll fix that tomorrow.

You only need to make the tool if your goung over the 16" carbine barrel, otherwise a deep well 21mm on an extension will work. As to the tool I made, I cut a 21mm deep well impact socket in half (used a wired EDM at work ) and welded each half to the end of a scrap piece of 11" pipe with 1/8" wall thickness.

Offline usmcvet

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 06:50:27 AM »

You only need to make the tool if your goung over the 16" carbine barrel, otherwise a deep well 21mm on an extension will work. As to the tool I made, I cut a 21mm deep well impact socket in half (used a wired EDM at work ) and welded each half to the end of a scrap piece of 11" pipe with 1/8" wall thickness.

Thank you.  I appreciate it.

Offline nova3930

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 10:13:34 PM »
Thank of you!  This might be all I need to tighten that HK tri lug adapter. But with the price of this and the adapter I am about 1/2 to the price if the 5.3" tri lug bbl. I need the two points and would like the shorter bbl. My.45 Silencerco with the adapter is pretty long.

https://naahtoolworks.com/product/hk-3-lug-adapter-wrench/

This is cool too.

https://naahtoolworks.com/product/cz-scorpion-evo-carbine-barrel-nut-wrench/
I offer 10% off to czf members. Just use coupon code "czf17"

It's not much but I know every little bit helps. :D

Nate Whitfield
NAAH Tool Works
Naahtoolworks@gmail.com
Naahtoolworks.com

Nate
NAAH Tool Works
naahtoolworks@gmail.com
naahtoolworks.com

Offline nova3930

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 10:22:55 PM »

Yep the long carbine wrenches are only necessary for the full 16" barrel.

And the shear simplicity of the carbine wrenches is why I keep my prices down where they are. No innovation to speak of. Although mine are about to get a minor design upgrade to allow you to use either a 1/2 drive ratchet /breaker or 1-1/4 wrench.

Nate Whitfield
NAAH Tool Works
Naahtoolworks@gmail.com
Naahtoolworks.com

Nate
NAAH Tool Works
naahtoolworks@gmail.com
naahtoolworks.com