Author Topic: I want a 44Mag revolver, Thinking of Taurus 444 UltraLite  (Read 13775 times)

Offline comviren

I want a 44Mag revolver, Thinking of Taurus 444 UltraLite
« on: March 31, 2007, 05:39:03 PM »

VS.

I'm currently saving for a Marlin 1894 in 44Mag and the thought crossed my mind that I could use a hunting sidearm in the same caliber.

Two six-guns are looking good to me right now: Taurus 444 UltraLite, and the S&W 329PD.

I favor the Taurus mainly due to cost, the Smith is over a thousand bucks, and the Taurus is less than half that.  Being a student means the bottom line trumps most of the time but if the Smith is worth it Ill go for it.

I have heard that smith quality has been going down recently and some one at my range shot out the cylinder of one of those PC scandium guns, so to say the least I have some reservations about S&W.

I've seen Taurus get repeatedly slammed on online boards about quality but word in the Gun Rags is that Taurus has improved in resent years.

Any other 4 inch 44mags I should check out?

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »
Unless you intend  NOT to shoot .44 Magnum rounds do not get the ultra light. Building ultralight guns in such caliber si criminally insane.  Get the regular steel framed .44 Magnum with the 4" compensated barrel from Taurus (M44cp4) instead. I have the blued version of it and it is great and I can shoot all magnum loads (including Remington 180 Gr JHP .44 Magnum Loads) one handed, doubt that would work with the Ultralight. Most people never practice with such a light weight gun in that caliber enough to be proficient due to the punishment of the recoil with full power loads. This means that if they ever have to use it under they will miss. An Ultralight .44 Magnum will only make you develop a terrible flinch in every gun you shoot. If you want  my advice, stay away from UltraLight Magnums and get normal steel models. Trust me on this.

Offline shadetreeb

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 11:27:01 PM »
I shot a smith and wesson airlite in 357 with full power loads once.......:eek    not fun.   Much more painful than shooting a super red hawk in 454.    If you want to shoot 44mag (and it is a fun round to shoot)  go with a heavier side arm and a good holster.   Just my $.02

Offline comviren

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 03:27:25 PM »
I only intend to shoot 44spl out of my possible 6-er. I have my brush rifle for Magnum loads.  Nobody makes 44spl revolvers anymore so the only way I can find a good 44spl revolver is to look for a 44mag revolver.

If I was going to go on the all steel route I run into cost and weight issues.

Just not as many options as I would like, again its S&W vs. some other firm.

And I know MIM is how most guns are made these days but it just strikes me as wrong that S&W would dare use MIM in the new Model 29 and other retro models they're coming out with.

I sort of like the new S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun:

Cons are that it might be too pricey and it has not been rigorously reviewed yet. So I know nothing about the quality.

Next possibility is the New Ruger Redhawk 4-inch

But yikes this thing is heavy! And a Suggested Retail Price of $780! Too much Gun, maybe?

Offline comviren

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:41:04 PM »
Quote:
Get the regular steel framed .44 Magnum with the 4" compensated barrel from Taurus (M44cp4) instead.

Was this the one you're suggesting?

www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=223&category=Revolver

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 07:11:21 PM »
Yes, that model. Mine is blued, but it is the same gun. I love it, very accurate and easy to shoot even with hot magnum loads. I use 180 Gr., .44 Spl loads in it for plates and 240 gr and 180 gr .44 Magnum loads to train and have fun with. It will fit any N frame holster for a 4" gun and the grips make it much more comfortable then S&W guns. If you do shoot the Remington 180 Gr. .44 Magnum loads you may be asked to leave the range or stop shooting as flash and blast can be distracting to other shooters due to the compensated barrel. It does get attention though, heheh. :D

Offline comviren

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 09:52:53 PM »
Which Taurus models are safe buys?  What year did Taurus improved its manufacturing processes?  I've read that the older models have some quality control issues.

What parts are forged, and MIMed?

Whats the stock trigger like?

If I need an action job, what gunsmiths work on Taurus guns?

Unregistered(d)

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 02:59:06 AM »
Well, considering this gun is new manufacture it should have good metallurgy in it. I have had no issues with mine and I had no work done either. I never get trigger jobs on any of my guns, the stock mechanism is good enough for me. If I don't like a gun I trade it in on something new. I know no gunsmiths that work on Taurus, but in my opinion it does not need it.

Offline Hellbound Train

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 06:39:04 PM »
I think the perfect 44mag is the S&W 629 Classic with a 5" barrel. I love mine and it's a TON of fun to shoot. JBL

Offline comviren

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:11:56 PM »
That Smith looks sweet.  

I'm scraping the compact size and D/A criteria for my search.

I looked at Ruger's line of single actions and they seem closer to what I want in a first revolver.  I shot a new Vaquero once and I liked the trigger on it. The Stock trigger was very crisp not that light though my guess was about 4.5 lbs but still good.

The New Model Super BlackHawk Blued 5 1/2 inch is almost ideal in that the price is right, its .44Mag, and its blued. Just wish I had the option of a scope mount for it.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 08:21:49 AM »
If you wish to mount a scope, then give a serious look at the Ruger Super RedHawk!

My Father had a old regular Super Blackhawk Buntline that had to be drilled and tapped for a Scope Mount.  I don't recommend doing that.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline mrgadget

Re: I want a 44Mag revolver, Thinking of Taurus 444 UltraLite
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 12:00:56 AM »
love my taurus 444 ULTI magnesium titanium
26 oz of pure and sure kill
it does NOT kick any more [or less for that matter] than my old steel 6" western {Hy Hunter Western 6}
but it is almost 3 pounds lighter
as carbines go look for a browning b92 {Winchester 1892 replica} same but better finish than rossi....
but it is actually made in japan....

Offline Dekkan

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 11:19:03 AM »
Buy S&W and you'll never look back - I have 3 including a .44. Great quality, great service.

If you want something more unique look at the new "Rino" (not a S&W).
CZ75B, CZSP01 Tactical, CZ Kadet, S&W 629 .44mag, S&W Bodyguard .380, S&W 617 .22, Sig Mosquito, Sig 1911-22, Kimber 1911 .45ACP

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 02:28:09 PM »
Buy S&W and you'll never look back - I have 3 including a .44. Great quality, great service.

If you want something more unique look at the new "Rino" (not a S&W).

I think you're a little late.  The first post was in 2007.

Offline Sancho

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »

Next possibility is the New Ruger Redhawk 4-inch
<!--EZCODE IMAGE START--><!--EZCODE IMAGE END-->
But yikes this thing is heavy! And a Suggested Retail Price of $780! Too much Gun, maybe?

The Ruger Super Blackhawk is single action and will shoot 44 Mags until you are old and grey and the Taurus has long since been recycled. They go out the door for $525. 

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=S458N-C&mfg=Ruger&mdl=All&cat=1&type=Revolver&cal=All&fin=&sit=&inv=Y&zipcode=83701

You can also buy the very slightly smaller Blackhawk in 44 Special that goes for $430.  It is also single action and will last three lifetimes.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=5232&mfg=Ruger&mdl=All&cat=1&type=Revolver&cal=All&fin=&sit=&inv=Y&zipcode=83701

And single actions are cool.  Ask several generations of Texas Rangers.

Sancho

I was already despicable, long before it was cool!