Author Topic: RCBS Lockout Die and Hornady ERGO Lever  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Boris_LA

Re: RCBS Lockout Die and Hornady ERGO Lever
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 08:42:44 PM »
I think I will eventually upgrade to a micrometer seating die. In the meantime, the Hornady taper crimp seater will work as my seater!
This upgrade will cost you the same as a separate seating die for another bullet. Once you tune your seating die it will stay there. No need for frequent adjustments.
Here is my setup for your enjoyment

replacement seating die /feeding die combo for different bullet

Another press

replacement dies for different bullets

Overall view of loading benches.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:35 PM »
Wait. Those are Hornady Taper Crimp Seater dies you have for each bullet no?

I wish I had a backboard to mount things. I want to remove my powder measure so I can process all my brass, but all of Inline's offerings are wall mounted.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »
Wait. Those are Hornady Taper Crimp Seater dies you have for each bullet no?

I wish I had a backboard to mount things. I want to remove my powder measure so I can process all my brass, but all of Inline's offerings are wall mounted.
Yes, I have dedicated dies (HDY and Lee) for each bullet profile. Have you missed the explanation few posting earlier?
I love peg boards for organizing tools.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 09:19:12 PM »
Ahh whoops. I keep confusing them :P

I was just surprised to see so many practice round bullets! I plan on just having one bullet for everything. Perks of not really needing accuracy :D

Thanks for all the help!

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 09:41:47 PM »
Hornady bullets are excellent, but expensive and reserved for matches. Cheaper alternative that closely match profile and weight, but (close) second in accuracy are for practice. With volume i shoot it makes substantial difference on the long run. In less than two years of reloading, I have made and shot ~15K of reloads and 2-3 cases of factory ammo to make brass.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 10:56:25 PM »
Hornady bullets are excellent, but expensive and reserved for matches. Cheaper alternative that closely match profile and weight, but (close) second in accuracy are for practice. With volume i shoot it makes substantial difference on the long run. In less than two years of reloading, I have made and shot ~15K of reloads and 2-3 cases of factory ammo to make brass.

Ah gotcha. Yea, I have the rebates for Hornady bullets, but I haven't sent them in yet since I want to shoot 147gr FPs, and I'm not a huge fan of 115grs, but maybe I'll do it just to give it a shot!

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2017, 12:42:12 AM »
I standardized on 124-125gr bullets. Lighter recoil feel. 115gr HAP are also very accurate, but on the longer distance POI is different. Changing sights settings for different bullets is a hassle for me.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »
I forgot to update this thread. I got a Lee FCD, and all of my OAL problems went away. I am able to load much longer now easily passing plunk test! However, I've lost a station :(

I am considering getting a better seater die (Redding Pro or Competition) since I only load 9mm and a single load. I think I may forego the Lockout Die and keep the bullet feeder, but I will see how the bullet feeder works out.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2017, 06:27:57 AM »

If you have any pals in the firearms distribution business, you may be able to buy Hornady bullets in bulk. I was offered Hornady HAP bullets in 6000 count cartons. This is the same container that certified reloaders buy from Hornady at substantial price reductions.

In my particular case, my contact needed a small slice of the "action", pre-payment, and me driving 40 miles for pickup, which made it simpler to simply order the same quantity from PD or RMR.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »
If you have any pals in the firearms distribution business, you may be able to buy Hornady bullets in bulk. I was offered Hornady HAP bullets in 6000 count cartons. This is the same container that certified reloaders buy from Hornady at substantial price reductions.

In my particular case, my contact needed a small slice of the "action", pre-payment, and me driving 40 miles for pickup, which made it simpler to simply order the same quantity from PD or RMR.
Thanks for suggestion, but unfortunately I don't have connections and access for this bulk pricing. I'm just waiting for sales and coupons from Cabelas and such.