Author Topic: 75B at 100 yards today. CGW 10x bushing still working well.  (Read 823 times)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
Re: 75B at 100 yards today. CGW 10x bushing still working well.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2017, 08:38:57 PM »
Are these kind of 100 yard groups doable with stock sights?  When you say irons, what are are your favorite for long range?  How much easier does the red dot make shooting at these distances?  Slide milled for it?

Offline Joe L

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2017, 10:17:46 PM »
Are these kind of 100 yard groups doable with stock sights?  When you say irons, what are are your favorite for long range?  How much easier does the red dot make shooting at these distances?  Slide milled for it?

Yes, they are doable with stock sights, just not by me.  On the P-10C, I'm using the stock sights with .010" shims glued to each side of the front blade to widen it up to fit the notch tighter.  I did the same on the P-07 but added an adjustable rear sight also. 

For me, the red dot makes 100 yards much easier to aim the pistol at the same spot every shot.  I can do pretty well with irons if I practice a bunch with them, but, since I'm primarily a bullseye shooter and use red dots on all the bullseye pistols, and have some vision difficulty with irons, I have much better results with the red dots.   A 2 moa red dot is better for me than a 3 but a 3 will work.  An 8 doesn't work for me.

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 10:30:49 PM »
I use strips of vinyl sign material on the front sights of my Springfields to "tighten up" the gap.
I'll probably play with doing the same on the CZ also.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 06:55:00 AM »
Sorry to be a pest, but does the 75B or 85B require the slide to be milled to accommodate a red dot sight?  Does the firing block have to be removed?  What is your favorite red dot sight  manufacturer, anyone?

Offline Joe L

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 08:09:33 AM »
Tyerone--I use a Springer Precision dovetail mount for a Burris Fast Fire 3 with a 3 moa dot.  I don't have any milled slides. The dovetail on the 75B is different from the 85 but Springer makes mounts for both.  I have three of the Burris sights and they have been great.  Probably not the clearest glass or the sharpest dot or the greatest battery life, but I haven't tried anything else and probably won't until one of these fail. 

Joe

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 08:50:45 AM »
A ha!  Thank you so much, sir!  I didn't nec want to machine the slide just to experiment with a red dot sight.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 08:57:31 AM »
A ha!  Thank you so much, sir!  I didn't nec want to machine the slide just to experiment with a red dot sight.

Nor did I.  But the dovetail mounts work great and I don't want to spend the time and money to get one of the bullseye guns milled.  I might for the P-10C, as I can handle not having it available for a few weeks, since it isn't my bullseye gun.  Yet.
Joe

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »
Great shooting. 

Fifteen or so years back, I was still on the Hwy Patrol and one of the Firearms Instructors. I had two ranges to qualify Troopers one 6 miles from home,  a quarry that was really a nice set up. And a more official, proper Range about 45 miles away.

I liked doing Qual's at the quarry , as we could move cars where we wanted, use cars in scenarios, etc. Plus we could easily shoot to 100 yds if we wished.

NO idea how it started but at the end of the shoots we started shooting some LR pistol, like 50 yds. Losers bought the Winner lunch/pie & coffee.  Initially it was with duty weapons, SIG 229's in  .357 sig.

That quickly morphed to 100 yds, with any iron sighted handgun. We shot at a std size sheet of typing paper, in this case one of our bright yellow, gas/maintenance  log sheets. I used a Smith M-657 in .41 mag with some fiueld loads, not mag loads. 210 gr Keith slug over 7.5 of Unique. And usually won.  My best ever five shots were into 3", but it was more random luck than skill. I could almost always keep 5 on the paper though.

I liked the drill.  We started doing 50, 75 and even 100 yds shots  on our paper silhouette targets  we used for qualifying. I always felt it was good experience for them should they ever need it. The 229's were surprisingly accurate  and the .357 sig round was very flat shooting anyway.

LR with a handgun is a lot of fun, do it almost every trip to the Quarry to plink, or practice.

anything