Author Topic: 75B at 100 yards today. CGW 10x bushing still working well.  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Joe L

75B at 100 yards today. CGW 10x bushing still working well.
« on: October 15, 2017, 01:55:15 PM »
This slide was a dog with the factory bushing.  It has been excellent since I installed a CGW 10x bushing.  Here is a 15 round target from today's range trip, shot at 100 yards from a wrist rest, with a red dot sight.  This is my backup bullseye setup--I use this same frame with a Kadet conversion for my primary rimfire bullseye gun. 

Friends don't let friends shoot any 75 series pistol with a sloppy factory bushing!!

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: 75B at 100 yards today. CGW 10x bushing still working well.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »
Man, I'm lost, somewhere.

I was looking at the target and the first thing I "saw" was Red Dot and AA 115.  I'm thinking, okay, Red Dot powder, but who makes AA bullets.  I was already working through, in my mind, the understanding about why there was no charge weight, and then it hit me...Atlanta Arms and a red dot sight.  Whew!!  I need to go out to the garage and stain some more cabinets for the mud room.  I've been in the house too many days in a row over the rain and threatening rain.

Back to the world.  Whoever he was, he ain't happy.  All good shots.  You know there's some folks who shoot a rifle like that and are just happy as can be when most of them are in the black at 100 yds.

Question, about the red dot.  I keep reading on other forums about how the red dot helps you call shots you pull/jerk off the POA.  Did you do that before the red dot?  I did, I never thought about the red dot helping me call shots, I was already doing it with iron sights.  It just seems funny to me that people list that as one of the advantages of red dots on a handgun.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Joe L

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »
Question, about the red dot.  I keep reading on other forums about how the red dot helps you call shots you pull/jerk off the POA.  Did you do that before the red dot?

I can see irons move as well as a red dot if I am jerking the gun.  I saw it yesterday when shooting the P-10C (poorly).   At 100 yards,  and from a rest with the 75B, I have pretty good trigger control, so all that counts is where the dot was when the gun went off.  The Burris FF3 dot isn't as crisp as an Ultradot tube sight.  On a dark day, the contrast between the aim point and the red dot is reduced also. 

I see the gun moving slightly with pulse rate when using the red dot from a wrist rest.  Haven't noticed that with irons but I don't shoot 100 yards with irons very often, either.

Joe   

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 04:56:27 PM »
Nice!

Doesn't the red dot cover the whole target at 100 yds?  What are you aiming at to keep them on target; above or below it somewhere?

Offline Joe L

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:07:50 PM »
There is another B-8C repair center target with the bullseye center about 8" above the center of the record target.  Might try a B-16C with a larger bullseye (8 ring is black) next time when using the Burris sight.  A 3 moa sight covers a 3" bullseye at 100 yards.  But you need to see the bullseye with plenty of black around it, not just a halo.  The weather was just dark for me to see the aim point target perfectly for every shot.  Shooter age and vision problem, nothing wrong with the hardware. 

There are 8 holes out of 15 within a 3" group at the upper right, however, so I'm pretty happy with that.  I placed the dot in the same spot over half the time! 

Joe

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 09:40:32 PM »
Wow...@ 100 yds...impressive shots.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 12:10:48 AM »
Very nice shooting for a handgun!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 12:43:35 AM »
VERY nice shooting with several types of firearms let alone a 9mm service pistol.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 06:24:57 AM »
Thanks, gentlemen, but the point wasn't so much how good of a shooter I am.  My point is that, when the gun is mechanically tight, this is what can be done with it when the shooter is having a good day.  I have three pistols that can provide the shooter with tight groups at 100 yards if the shooter doesn't move the gun while pulling the trigger--this 75B with the CGW bushing, a P-09, and a 97B"E".  Every time I try this 100 yard scenario with any of these three pistols I am reminded of how good mechanically they are.   

What I've learned over the years with these three pistols is that when I have poor results at 25, 50, or 100 yards, it is always me that is the problem, never the gun or the ammo.  The zeroes do not change by themselves.  The group sizes don't get larger or move a few inches by themselves.  It is a grip problem or a trigger pull problem of some sort.  Or an eyesight weakness.  Or I am just not up to it.  When I am having a good day, the guns are never a limitation. 

I encourage anyone to try a 100 yards from a rest if you haven't already.  Or 50.    I've shot this pistol at 50 yards from a rest many times with 5 shot groups close to 1".  It is no surprise to me that the groups at 100 yards are pretty much dependent on how consistently I can place the dot.  Not at all. 

Joe 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:57:13 AM by Joe L »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 07:04:56 AM »
While it's not a good feeling to make a shot you know is beneath your skill level, it is nice to know it's not the gun or the load.  At least that way you know the cause and the cure.

I have an old M700 Remington like that.  I knew, when I missed a groundhog's head, it was my fault.  Not the rifle or the load.  It's a good feeling to know you can depend on the equipment.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 07:24:47 AM »
Thanks Joe - for the insight...
I'm going to order the bushing.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:00 PM »
Bushing ordered....
I'm hoping for at least the placebo effect.  ;)

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 04:46:14 PM »
I'm hoping for at least the placebo effect.  ;)

;D. One thing is very true.  The 10X bushing is a higher quality part than the OEM bushing. 

You should also be able to feel the difference.  Before replacement, put your finger on the end of the barrel and wiggle it around in the original bushing to feel how much play there is.  Do that again with the 10X and compare. 

Remember, it is harder to install and remove the barrel with the 10X bushing.  Once you wiggle it into the exact right spot it will drop in and out easily.  It takes some practice.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »
Thanks.

I'm really hoping it helps. I'm sure the sight radius is a big part of it - but I'd REALLY like to get my Tac to hit targets at 200 yds like my 5.25 Springfield does.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 08:38:57 PM »
Are these kind of 100 yard groups doable with stock sights?  When you say irons, what are are your favorite for long range?  How much easier does the red dot make shooting at these distances?  Slide milled for it?

anything