Author Topic: Norma Tac-22  (Read 1761 times)

Offline copemech

Norma Tac-22
« on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:58 PM »
Went to Cabelas yesterday, got some Joe L. .22 for $32.50 per brick of 500, reg $64.99, so in my price range! O0

Offline viking499

Re: Norma Tac-22
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
His Kadet is already drooling...... ;)

Offline Roger Vick

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:38:24 PM »
They should come with degreaser, slippery little devils but they shoot good in my Kadet.

Offline Joe L

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
That's a great price!  I love the Norma Tac 22 ammo.  I've got a stockpile of close to 10k rounds here so I don't need any right now.  Looks like ammo prices are definitely coming down. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline copemech

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:31:32 PM »
I to have a good stock, but in the crunch I was taking what I could get. I want more of the GOOD STUFF now, and have mostly preferred CCI, however, if the Norma works well and is priced reasonably it may be my new pref as well.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 11:39:15 AM »
I want more of the GOOD STUFF now, and have mostly preferred CCI, however, if the Norma works well and is priced reasonably it may be my new pref as well.

I keep about 20 different brands and types of 22 ammo available. The first thing I do with a new 22 rifle is go fire groups of each type. My findings are that no 2 of my rifles prefer the same ammo.

They should come with degreaser, slippery little devils...

I've read and proved to myself that one of the biggest differentiators in 22 ammo is the lube. In the rush to make cheap 22 ammo, many manufacturers have dropped or really cut back on the bullet lube. Often times you can take average, low-cost ammo and add your own lube and make it the equal of the $8-$10 per box stuff. Try adding Alox (or other common wad cutter bullet lube) to Federal Auto Match and see.

? Both these responses work together. When you shoot groups with 22, it's VERY important that you fire 10 non-scoring rounds to allow the bullet lube to coat the barrel BEFORE shooting for score. Otherwise, the 5 shot group has benefited from the lube of the previous brand and your results will be skewed in ways that are not repeatable.

;)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:53:36 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 03:26:36 PM »
? Both these responses work together. When you shoot groups with 22, it's VERY important that you fire 10 non-scoring rounds to allow the bullet lube to coat the barrel BEFORE shooting for score. Otherwise, the 5 shot group has benefited from the lube of the previous brand and your results will be skewed in ways that are not repeatable.

;)
I also pull through the boresnake between changing the ammo. It takes less rounds of new ammo to settle.

Offline 86304

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 11:43:37 AM »
"Try adding Alox (or other common wad cutter bullet lube) to Federal Auto Match and see."

not to hijack the thread but how do you apply?
would like to give this a try.
thanks   Bob

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »
All .22 LR ammunition is "outside lubricated", which means the waxy material you feel on the bullet is the only lubrication between the lead bullet and the bore.  To add lube, you simply dip the bullet into the liquid Alox, only as far as the lead is exposed, and then let it dry.  Since the .22 Rimfire ammunition was invented by S&W way back in the late 1800's, they've never changed the heeled bullet to an "inside lubed" bullet.  It's always worked, so they haven't changed it.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline 86304

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 01:52:21 PM »
thank you very much.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »
Yeah, I found an old jar lid that was large enough and deep enough, which I fill with cast bullet lube. Then I take the 50 bullets, still in their plastic tray, and dip them to cover the lead (tray and all). Then I wipe the tips and leave the tray out of the box for a day to dry.

The stuff I'm using right now is something JamesLovesJamie recommended. It's X-Lox from LsStuff in the 16oz bottle. Wonderful stuff. Wonderful company to deal with.

http://www.lsstuff.com/

I run the youth program at my club. Had a young lady come in, first time shooter, using Fed AutoMatch coated just as I reported. Anschutz youth model 1903 with iron sights. Cold February day. This was her 3-shot group on a 3/4" office sticker at ~100 feet...

Her paper target is at a measured 50 feet. Zoom in and you can see the orange dot on the darker section of the backboard, just over her left shoulder....

And the gun and ammo...

;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:17:27 PM by Wobbly »

Offline copemech

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 01:24:01 AM »
My gun is not all that good. I do run a lot of Federal Automatch with fair results in my 10/22 as well as my pistols (Buckmark/ Ruger). Lately I have found the Aguilla to be quite consistent as well at long range, and the guns work as well.

Ringing 8" steel at 300 yds is not easy, but it is fun and challenging, yet the ammo variations show up a lot. Steel at 100 yds is not easy either, with pistols.

I am seriously considering a CZ bolt rifle as precision .22, but cannot decide which one.

Offline eastman

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 10:16:25 PM »
I saw the Norma TAC-22 at the Ft Worth Cabela's on Monday. Picked up two bricks.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Joe L

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 06:16:58 AM »
I am seriously considering a CZ bolt rifle as precision .22, but cannot decide which one.

Me, too.  A heavy barrel with a low drop stock for a scoped rifle. 
Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 07:58:00 AM »
CZ could have doubled their sales of the McMillian stocked 455 if they had simply cut the front of the barrel for globe sights to allow it to be used in 3-position shooting. That's a much better gun than the Anschutz 1903 Youth, which has no competition. Deeply discounted it sells for $1200.