Author Topic: 75 TS FTE  (Read 864 times)

Offline kibbleking

75 TS FTE
« on: October 21, 2017, 11:10:21 PM »
Hi Gang,  Was out to the range for a dab of steel shootin action today. I decided to give a box of Winchester Steel Case 9mm a try. I won't be making a habit of it. I had 4-5 Failure to Eject situations today. I'm running the 9mm barrel from CZ custom and 9mm mags. According to all that I have read so far it sounds like thats all I needed to do. Barrel and Mags. I purchased it in 40 S&W configuration. I also had this same issue a week ago running some homemade 9mm. I blamed it on my ammo. I ran 100 rounds of federal Aluminum without a hitch. All toll I still haven't got 500 rounds through it yet. So maybe not broke in  ??  Maybe the Steel Case ammo ??
I really wonder if using the same Extractor and recoil spring are going to work out.  Wouldn't the Extractor be the first thing to look at in an FTE situation ?  On the next outing I'll run another 100 round of Fed Aluminum.. see how that goes..

Thanks
Clancy

Offline muncie21

Re: 75 TS FTE
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 07:03:39 AM »
The TS 9 and .40 definitely have different extractors. 
It could be that the steel case causes more drag than brass, making the .40 extractor a no-go.

Suggest either using brass cases or install the 9mm extractor.  Either way, let us know how this turns out, as I'm sure there are others wanting to use the same combo.

Offline kibbleking

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 10:47:30 PM »
Hi Muncie,
No more steel case..That was a test. I ran 50 rounds of 40 cal Federal Aluminum with no Issues.
Then 100 Rnd of 9mm Aluminum. No issues. Next outing I'll run another 100 Fed Aluminum.
And I have a lot of homemade 40 cal I want to try. Many folks have suggested the Steel case ammo
does not Expand in the chamber when fired so more yuk muk and soot leak back past the case and remain in the chamber.
They say the brass Expands and drags most of the yuk out of the chamber. Sounds reasonable to me.
They also say that the yuk build up will lead to Steel Cases becoming Sticky and difficult for the Extractor to remove.
Again..Sounds reasonable to me. There does appear to be some sort of a coating on the outside of the Steel cases.
I wonder if that might also lead to the Stickyness issue.  So test completed and the verdict is no more steel case ammo.
I also did see on the CZ parts page the different part numbers for 9mm  and 40 cal. Extractors.  I am also surprised " but pleased " that it runs with the same recoil spring. While I haven't tried it yet...I did load a few rounds of 9mm into one of my 40 cal mags. I didn't fire them, but they did cycle through by racking the slide. So now I really wonder if I needed to spend the $$ on the three 9mm mags I purchased. Another Hmm ?? ..
Just thinking the 40 cal extractor probably isn't getting ahold of much when running 9mm.. I wonder if thats the reason CZ included a spare Extractor in the pistol case. Another Hmm ?? 

Offline muncie21

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:31:44 AM »
With ammo being as cheap as it is now, I don't see a driving need/reason to shoot steel cased ammo, when brass is available at the same cost.  Good call on sticking with non-steel cases.  If they work why change.

Regarding the extra extractors- Tactical Sports & TS Orange include extra extractors, slide lock and a few different recoil springs, as shipped from the factory.  The slide lock and extractor are wear items.  However it is a subject of debate as to how long each lasts.  I've read varying round counts on both ends of the spectrum.

P.S. if you decide the 9mm mags are redundant, shoot me a PM.  I need a few extras :)

Offline TonyB

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
I bought a NOS (2006) TS in 40S&W a few months ago, the owner had ordered it back then for a customer that after seeing it said it was too big and he stuck the shop with it. It sat on the shelf for years with a $1200 price on it and the owner said he should have sent it back but didn't want to pay the restocking fee. Anyway, 11 years later I gave him $800 and a Ruger LCPII, I kinda feel like I gave too much but I really like and wanted the TS!

Last week I had a CZ custom shop 9mm barrel fit to it  and took it out and shot it for the first time yesterday; 50 rounds of Federal 115's and 50 of my hand-load 147's.  Every thing extracted fine and dropped almost right next to me like it does shooting 40's; it ran perfectly except the slide locked back with 1 round still in the mag ... did it every time so I attribute it to the smaller 9mm cartridge in the 40S&W mag and it didn't do it when shooting 40's. The 9mm round sits so high that it and almost looks like it could pop out of the mag but so far no problems.

I'm on the hunt for the correct mags, I'd like to find some less expensive aftermarket mags but it doesn't appear that there is such a critter. Mine came with 3 40S&W mags a couple extra extractors and 2 snap caps IIRC ... its the only gun I've ever bought that had extra extractors with it; the shop owner said it was so you could tune it to your preference.  Could that be right?

Along the same lines but with a different gun ... the Glock 19 and 23 have the same frame but are 9mm and 40S&W respectively. My G23 sometimes does double duty as I bought a 9mm threaded drop-in barrel (for use with my suppressor) and I had the same problem when I put 9mm's in my Glock23 mags. I've since picked up 9mm Glock mags. It appears that 40 is on the way out since military didn't pick it up, and now with police departments trading in their 40's and going back to 9 ... I'm sure 40S&W will still be available for a long while but 9 always has been cheaper to shoot, which is why I picked up the threaded barrel in the first place ... but of course I now have a 19 as well ... it's a sickness.

I've only tried anything steel cased in a Colt Mustang and the previously mentioned Ruger LCPII ... the steel case stuff I have is filthy but at the time 380 was in short supply so I took what I could get and I still have a couple boxes of it. Now380 is cheap but now I reload for it too.

Offline kibbleking

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 08:14:17 AM »
Hi Tony,
Congrats on the TS.  800.00 plus a trade seems ok to me. Did it come with a fibre optic front sight ?? If not...Are you planning on getting one. Makes a huge difference. It sounds like you can confirm 9mm rounds will feed out of the 40 cal mags. I suspected they would. I'm going to the range this afternoon to do some paperwork at various distances, I'll run a dab of 9mm through a 40 cal mag. I got my 9mm mags from Greg Kote. Just over 40.00 each. I got 3.  Can you say ouch..I did.. I got an Extra extractor in the box as well. Might be just in case you break one. Just my thoughts on extractors........ If I were sure I was only going to run it as a 9mm I'm thinking I would order the 9mm Extractor. And a tad lighter recoil spring.
Hope your enjoying your TS. I really like the trigger. Takes a bit of getting used to after spending almost all my range time with a Glock 17 in hand.

Offline TonyB

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 03:04:35 PM »
It doesn't have a fiber front sight and the factory sight is a bit difficult to pick up. I'm thinking I will get the fiber optic front when I get the mags along with a 9mm extractor ... Like you mentioned these mags aren't cheap!  I need to free up some cash first as I don't like paying 15-22% interest on a CC when my bank only pays .05%. So I don't like keeping a balance on my CC, especially not for a hobby. 

When I first heard of and saw this model on line I was a bit smitten. I wanted the 9mm and started "shopping" but when I found this 40 locally, held it in my hand and the shop owner told me the story I knew this was the one and she'd just been waiting for me  8)
I thought I could run 9 in it just like my Glock 23 ... Change the barrel and mags and its gtg. When I called the custom shop and asked, they told me I'd need a slide with the 9mm chamber face, and they don't sell a slide ... I mentioned the Glock conversion and he basically said if I wanted a 9, I needed to buy one in 9. 

I decided to take a chance as the new CZ barrel was just $145.  I was hoping to find 9mm mags for around $20 ... but, it is what it is ... a TS that shoots 9 & 40 is worth the extra expense. 

Offline kibbleking

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 01:47:26 AM »
Tony,
Yes its worth the Extra Expense. Love my 75 TS.. Its so accurate I shot out a 2 inch hole in a paper target at 7 yards. For me thats an accomplishment.  Did that on my first trip to the range with it.. Sure wish I could take it to a Glock match..heh heh....

anything