Author Topic: Painting magazines  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Asylum9

Painting magazines
« on: October 22, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
Anyone ever paint there mags? What kind of paint? I was thinking Cerakote but not sure how they'll hold up to the heat. I would only be painting the exposed part of the mag.
ApIII%

Offline akuser47

Re: Painting magazines
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
 Also if your not to particular just some good old rattle spray can paint you can always reapply to touch it up. Its best to be able to cure most spray paints but I have lots of magazines and stocks in the past that I sprayed let dry and used no issue just not as durable if fully heat cured.

Oldnslow

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 06:24:36 PM »
The mags are plastic so you should prep the surface first to get rid of the mold release agent and any other residue that is on the surface.  Then you would probably want to use a paint that is formulated specifically for plastic, like Krylon Fusion.  I've had good success using this paint on a number of plastic items and parts over the past decade.  I attribute that to meticulous surface prep and being very careful with my application methods.  Also, the ambient temperature and relative humidity can affect the output. 

On the other hand, I just mark my mags with colored electrical tape.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 01:40:54 AM »
duracoat works pretty good on plastics. on flexible rubber or plastic items like rail covers you can even add the dura-flex additive to it and it won't crack or peel even when heavily bending them.
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Asylum9

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 02:38:06 PM »
I ended up painting a 20rd mag and afg with some krylon (I think lFDE paint I got at Walmart. Did a very light sand and clean. Put down several light coats then stuck everything in the oven to cure.
Everything came out looking great just hope it holds up decent. In not the mag will eventually crack anyway lol.
ApIII%

Offline Matt101

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »
I've cerakoted TS mags before. Has held up reasonably well after a few years of regular use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 10:06:26 PM »
I've duracoated pmags and they've still got most of all their paint years later and 10000 "combined" rounds of use. AK-mags or steel mags cerakote works better. ck holds up better on sharp edges like feed lips and latch points. also painted a few bolts
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Bobert

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:41:12 PM »
I have used the "FUSION" on other gun parts. It holds up well. But I would never want to loose the "See Through" feature of the CZ mags.
USMC   Veteran

Offline Manticore_Arms

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 11:10:01 PM »
I have used the "FUSION" on other gun parts. It holds up well. But I would never want to loose the "See Through" feature of the CZ mags.

Just cut out out a piece of painter's tape and apply to each side of the magazine, or on the back spine, and spray the Krylon Fusion over it.  Remove the painter's tape when dry and instant windowed magazine in the color of your choice.   8)

anything