Author Topic: 75B Life Expectancy  (Read 5481 times)

Offline dominic135

75B Life Expectancy
« on: October 22, 2017, 09:41:32 PM »
I started shooting about 2 years ago and have owned my CZ75B for about 20 months. Still on a learning curve. The 75 is my favorite, and I've put about 8,000 rounds through her. Everything is tight, accuracy is great, no slide play or rattles, and she still looks new. How many rounds till I have to consider rebuilding her? I have replaced nothing but sights and grips. Love the standard trigger but I know there are improvements I could make, but I doubt I'll make changes until she's ready for service. Gun is cleaned, after every firing, deep cleaned every 2,000 rounds. Appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

Re: 75B Life Expectancy
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 10:22:06 PM »
My 75BD(same as B with decocker instead of safety) has over 20K through it now. I replace recoil springs at 3-4K rnd intervals. The ONLY issue my example has suffered is a worn out extractor at about 10K rnds and has been flawless since. Some have had slide stops fail and some have had trigger return springs fail. I'm still in the minority there as none of that has happened to my gun.That said it doesn't hurt to put together a small parts kit with a full spring kit and maybe a slide stop just in case you need it. ANY gun that I plan to keep around I also keep some spare parts for just in case.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
At 8k RDS,  your B should be well broken in and ready to shoot.
Ask again when you get up into 50k + range.   Small parts will eventually fail,  the pistol itself should run for another 20-30 years at your shooting rate. O0
My 9mm 75B has shot over 60k with only small parts failures and damage the owner caused. It still likes the light mainspring it got at around 10k (?) RDS.  It shot quite a few common commercial 115gr  9mm followed by a ton of my 124 gr reloads at around 1060+ fps_ mostly jacketted hollow points.
Read JoeL's posts and threads about his.  He's working hard to wear it out with no luck.
Failures can happen in any pistol,  but the 75b has been around for quite a long time and is known for it's durability if it's treated kindly and fed a healthy diet
  Enjoy it.  Shoot it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:31:05 PM by 1SOW »

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »
As you close in on 10K, a full re-spring wouldn't be amiss. Not that all the springs will need replacing, but it's relatively cheap and it gives the opportunity to inspect everything in detail and see if any of the other parts show signs of excessive wear.

To me, it's like spark plugs. They're so cheap, if I'm going to pull them to look at them, I'll just replace them and be done with it.

Offline dominic135

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:48:17 PM »
All great info guys, thanks!

Offline Tim_B

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »
I have a 2013 manufacture 75B that has over 30,000 rounds through it.  In reference to wear and tear I have observed the following:
- The slide stop which unfortunately is metal injection molded breaks just like clockwork every 8,000 rounds.  Easy to fix, just slide a new one in.  Interestingly enough the gun continues to run with the slide stop cross pin broken right in the middle and I don't notice it until I get home to clean the gun after a range session.
- The trigger return spring broke at 23,000 rounds and I replaced it with one from CZ Custom Shop.  The new spring is a little beefier than the original so it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.  It may last the life of the gun.
- The recoil spring seems to lose tension and the slide goes back into battery noticably slower about every 5,000 rounds so I replace it when I notice the slide getting slow to return forward.
- All other springs in the gun, except the recoil spring and trigger return spring I mentioned above, are still the factory originals and all seem to still work just fine.  I use the wolff replacement recoil springs which are slightly too long so I clip about one and a half coils off and I file the ends to flatten the wire at each end a little so it sits more flat on the guide rod flange on one end and presses more flat against the inside of the dust cover at the other end.
- The extractor is still the original and it still works fine but probably because I make an effort to keep it clean.  At every cleaning I spray gun scrubber in the space behind the extractor and in front between it and the slide.  I follow up with several drops of oil in the small space behind the extractor and I work the extractor to distribute the oil.  At a range session any powder residue gets dissolved in the oil instead of caking up on a dry surface and when I spray the gun scrubber during cleaning it blasts the muddy oil out from that area.  I then replace with new oil again.  I mix a little marvel mystery oil and automatic transmission fluid in with my gun oil because each of those chemicals has properties that make it dissolve the powder instead of letting it cake up.
- The two lumps at the top on each side of the trigger bar have worn down a bit and I don't know if this is what caused it but in double action mode the hammer would no longer go back far enough to get released and fall.  I could only shoot single action after that happened.  This was at about the 10,000 round mark.  So I went to this forum and found the answer was to slightly file down certain portions of each side of the disconnector.  I did that and the gun has run file in double action mode ever since.

So to sum it up after 30,000 rounds -
Recoil springs get replaced every 5,000 rounds, the slide stop cross pin that goes through the slot under the barrel breaks in half every 8,000 rounds, the trigger return spring broke at 23,000 rounds.  Would no longer drop the hammer in double action mode at 10,000 rounds but that was fixed by removing a little material from the proper places on the disconnector.

I wish that there were solid steel aftermarket slide stops available rather than those metal injected molded original ones.  Maybe Angus can have his people make some - in black and in stainless steel, pleeeease.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:33:33 PM by Tim_B »

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 09:52:54 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing that, Tim!  I take it you are from the camp of "why dry fire when you can live fire?"
 8)

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 05:21:31 PM »
Have a friend that used to work for CZ selling to cop shops. Went to 50k until spring broke. Did total rebuild and went to 80k b4 next failure. He recently passed so the test is over.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Mackay Sagebrush

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »
Tim B,

Thank you for the detailed write up.

MS.

Offline Tim_B

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 04:25:36 PM »
One more thing I forgot to add about my 75B with 30,000 rounds through it.  I noticed that one round in a thousand would misfire.  This was with various ammo of different manufacturers.  So by the time I got to 10,000 rounds I had ten misfires.  I noticed that the firing pin just barely sticks it's head out of its hole in the breechface.  It made me wonder how it ignites primers at all.  So I bought the slightly extended firing pin from CZ Custom Shop and installed it.  After 20,000 rounds with that firing pin I have not had another misfire ever.  So I bought some more of that extended firing pin and installed them on all my CZ's.

I also did not mention that I decided to replace the plastic recoil spring guide rods on all my CZ's with stainless steel guide rods.  The plastic rods got chewed up to a certain point then the "chewing" did not seem to get any worse after that point but I am a real stickler for mechanical things working correctly so I bought the steel guide rods and extended firing pins for all my CZ's.  Now if we could only get them to make solid steel slide stops instead of that MIM stuff then that would be a big improvement.  Since I shoot the hell out of all my guns I like to buy guns that have a reputation for longevity.  That is why I like 1911's and CZ's the best.  I know that almost all 1911's come with all their small parts MIM.  So when I buy a new 1911 I spend about another $600 to replace all the MIM parts with parts machined from solid bar stock.  There are people who will consider that excessive but those people don't shoot very often.  I have had multiple slide stops, two front sights, and one plunger tube break.  All were MIM.  After I installed steel parts they never broke again.  Except for the slide stops on the 75B.  I can't fnd solid steel aftermarket ones.  I wish CZ would offer a version of the 75B with all steel parts.

Offline exit plan

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 09:31:24 PM »
That's been my experience with mim but any time I bring it up all I hear is how good mim parts are.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 05:51:29 AM »
Tim_B's note about the dud in 1,000 rounds made me remember priming some brass yesterday.

I've got a fairly new Lee handprimer (don't like it as much as the old round ones) and yesterday I noticed twice in a couple hundred rounds the primer went deeper than they normally go into the primer pocket.  I could feel the difference in how far the lever moved when I was using my thumb to seat the primer.

I pulled the first one off the shell holder and sure enough, the primer was visibly deeper in the pocket.  These were Federal small pistol primers (just for info) and mixed brass (US military and foreign brass - military/commercial).  Later in the bucket I ran across another one that did the same thing.  After looking at both of them (and wondering about the firing pin setting them off it hit me that our CZ 75's have the CGW extended firing pins, so I tossed them into the "primed/belled and ready to load can."

I don't buy a lot of new ammo so I can't say I see deep primers in some of them, but it's a primer pocket issue.  Not every piece of brass is made the same (just like every pistol isn't made exactly alike).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 04:57:19 PM »
One more thing I forgot to add about my 75B with 30,000 rounds through it.  I noticed that one round in a thousand would misfire.  This was with various ammo of different manufacturers.  So by the time I got to 10,000 rounds I had ten misfires.  I noticed that the firing pin just barely sticks it's head out of its hole in the breechface.  It made me wonder how it ignites primers at all.  So I bought the slightly extended firing pin from CZ Custom Shop and installed it.  After 20,000 rounds with that firing pin I have not had another misfire ever.  So I bought some more of that extended firing pin and installed them on all my CZ's.

Keep in mind that the firing pin is "inertial".  It travels farther out of the hole when struck by the hammer and "launched".  If you " push" the firing pin all the way to FP Safety pin contact with FP Safety equipped 75s with stock springs,  it should protrude plenty far enough to ignite any quality properly seated primer. 

I also use the extended firing pins due to using the lightest hammer springs.

Offline nevada

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 03:45:13 AM »
I bought my 1985 pre-B in 1995, replaced the recoil spring. No other springs replaced until this year with a trigger return spring from CZC, just because I was hearing about them breaking. It's been cerakoted black, has wood grips. Came to me well broken in and the smooooothest trigger pulls of any gun I have. Still tight and accurate, though I can hardly see the sights now. Had a new barrel professionally installed for grins. The original is still tight and not worn out but the new one is really tight. I would opine that a 75B should be just as good for just as long. I'm sure that I still have decades of use to go. Oh, no clue to round count, I just plant lead back into the desert.

Offline billt

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 07:44:12 AM »
That's been my experience with mim but any time I bring it up all I hear is how good mim parts are.

They actually are. MIM is no different than any other metallurgical process. It got much better over time as it's development was better refined and perfected. Early welding, heat treating, plating, investment casting, were never perfect, or even good when they first came out. These processes develop over years of time invested in perfecting them. MIM is no different. Many times these processes are rushed into production before they are ready. Much like the M-16 rifle was in the early days of the Vietnam War. The result is unintended failure that gives the entire process or product a bad name, that unfortunately takes years to get rid of.

Today's MIM firearm components have been refined and perfected to be as good, or in some cases even better than expensive, time consuming machined components. Many parts in semi auto pistols are subjected to a lot of stress and shock every time they are fired. Over time this shock will fatigue the strongest of metallic components. I'm willing to bet if CZ introduced machined slide stops, in reality they wouldn't last any longer than a modern MIM slide stop would. The problem with MIM today isn't the quality level of the parts. It's getting people to realize just how far the process has evolved, compared to when it was first introduced.

anything