Author Topic: What is the best 9mm pistol full size and compact?  (Read 13014 times)

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
Re: What is the best 9mm pistol full size and compact?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2018, 05:22:08 PM »
I'm with s0nspark on this one regarding why I haven't replied to this thread until now.  My favorite carry gun right now is the Rami, but it is playing the role of a full size gun, carried most often OWB at 3:30 to 4:00.  As far as range time fun is concerned, my current favorite by far is the CZ75 Matte Stainless.  I just don't carry it for SD often.

I don't think I have a clear favorite for subcompact SD carry.  For the pocket, Beretta Nano gets the nod.  Sometimes, the even  lighter .40 Charter Pitbull rides in the pocket, but more often as a lighter alternative to the Rami or PCR, etc. OWB on the hip.  I like the way it rides higher with holster combo and the nature of the revolver's ergos.  When my hips are acting up, it doesn't wear me down as much.  I carry almost always, even when relaxing in the domicile.  Bellyband works great in pajamas.  The pocket holsters work great in the robe's pocket, too.

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »
Full-sized: CZ 75B SA
Compact: SIG P229 or SP-01 Compact

In general, anything besides a polymer-framed, striker-fired pistol. A little over a year ago I got rid of three striker guns (PPQ, Shield, XDm Compact) because I was much less accurate with them than any of my steel-framed, hammer-fired CZs. I kept a VP9.

I hadn't shot any gun from September until about two weeks ago when I went to the range with my son. I shot my 75B SA, SP-01 Compact, and Rami as well as I had during the summer. I then shot my VP9, which I hadn't shot in over a year. At 10 yards on the same paper target I had already been using I couldn't tell where my shots with the VP9 were landing. They sure wen't landing anywhere near the 1" circle I was aiming at.

I think the metal-framed CZs fit my hand "naturally." Obviously I've lost whatever accuracy skill I had with the VP9 when I used to shoot it regularly. I don't see much point in keeping the VP9 anymore.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:11:11 PM by delphidoc »
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline Vinny

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2018, 06:22:02 PM »
OK, For those of us that like DA/SA Handguns.....Here's my suggestion for BEST 9mm Compact in the DA/SA category.  The new (not even on their website yet-probably SHOT SHOW official intro) Sig 229 Legion RX. A time-proven platform with the latest technological advancements. RDS sight system, co-witness night sights, Short Reset Trigger, Custom G10 molded grips, extended beaver-tail for high hand hold, undercut trigger guard, reduced size decock lever and slide release, etc. On my digital scale...32.0 oz with magazine. I don't buy into all the 'Legion' hoopla, but it IS one helluva handgun. Sold my 2nd to last striker a VP-9, and I just got #409  ;D

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 09:22:52 AM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Mccian

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
These ones........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“Life doesn’t have to be perfect......to be good”

CZ 75 Omega Convertible
CZ P01 Compact Steel SKU#99041
CZ “CWC” Edition
CZ P-10C FDE...shared
Other......M&P Shield .45, Browning Buckmark .22 (wife’s, but I have to clean it)

Offline jakjakman

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2018, 10:09:41 AM »
For compact I think It's a toss up between a Glock 19 and a CZ PCR.

Offline Chicago Dude

« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2018, 04:00:49 PM »
For compact I think It's a toss up between a Glock 19 and a CZ PCR.

PCR - Yes
Glock ?
The same one that cost $ 64 to make ?
The same one with recommended 5 years in service ?
No thanks.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2018, 04:47:51 PM »
How does how much anything cost to make determine if it is good or not?

I do not see a correlation.

I have not read all 4 pages yet and I rarely become involved in the "best and why" threads.

I will tell you my favorites

full size  -   CZ SP-01 Tac because in my hands and with my eyes the one I own performs admirably, never fails and makes holes where I think holes should be made.
compact  -  Sig 229 I also love the P-01 but the Sig has a feel to it that makes me smile. The P-01 is hard to beat if you like the steel frame, hammer fire gun and is as close to shooting the SP-01 as far as the setuo and manipulation of the gun go. But the Sig has the smile factor for me.
Subcompact carry gun......Kahr CW9 - accurate, inexpensive and easy to conceal. A real great carry weapon.

Thank you for your time today.

RCG

Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline Vinny

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2018, 07:00:10 PM »

I have not read all 4 pages yet and I rarely become involved in the "best and why" threads.

I will tell you my favorites

full size  -   CZ SP-01 Tac because in my hands and with my eyes the one I own performs admirably, never fails and makes holes where I think holes should be made.
compact  -  Sig 229 I also love the P-01 but the Sig has a feel to it that makes me smile. The P-01 is hard to beat if you like the steel frame, hammer fire gun and is as close to shooting the SP-01 as far as the setuo and manipulation of the gun go. But the Sig has the smile factor for me.
Subcompact carry gun......Kahr CW9 - accurate, inexpensive and easy to conceal. A real great carry weapon.

Thank you for your time today.

RCG
Fine choices!
+1 Have to say, we're about on the same page. All DA 1st round.
I've ditched all but one striker, and that (Glock 17 MOS) will undoubtedly fall by the wayside soon, as I'm liking my P-07 with RDS more and more. Love my SP-01 Tac Full-size, and P-01 compact, but just picked up a Sig P229 RX.

I wanted a pocket micro-carry 9mm but my LGS didn't have a Kahr PM9 to try, so I ended up with the Sig 290rs. No regrets, but I'm sure I would have liked the Kahr too. For carry or HD I prefer DA/SA or DAO to striker or SA/safety.
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Chicago Dude

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2018, 08:13:56 PM »

You don't ?
Interesting.
How about recommended life span of 5 years for these guns in hands of law enforcement ? Any correlation there ?

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
if the life span is longer then 5 years for a FN or a H&K or a 9mm 1911 with the exact same guidelines, then maybe yes.........without details, again no correlation .....none.

there are too many variables to "in the hands of law enforcement" to tell anyone anything.

How does that 5 years compare to in the hands of Military or in the hands of competitors or in the hands of range employees or in the hands of old guys that live up the street?

Round count is significant to me, when I am going to determine quality of a handgun and endorse its longevity.
Ammo type is significant in the same. Cost to produce it is insignificant if efficiencies or volume or both together are the reason for the low cost. If inferior product or procedures are the reason, it may be a very significant point. without knowing this however it is mute.

How it compares to other brands and other styles given the same circumstances is significant. A statistic alone has impact appeal, but is meaningless and sometimes incorrect without parameters and validation.

I probably shoot my hand gun more times in a summer then most handgun owners do in 3 years. So a gun with parts that fail in 5 years the way I shoot is to be expected.

I just don't resent a specific brand and back up my emotion with statistics that are leading and without a comparison baseline .

I only seek to explain my thought process.

RCG
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:07:29 PM by recoilguy »
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline jb1911

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2018, 12:03:32 AM »
Beretta 92fs and CZ75 PCR.
Because I said so.

Offline RustyM92

• Number One with a Bullet
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2018, 04:16:09 AM »
Top 3, in my opinion, in no particular order:

Full size:
H&K USP
SIG P226
CZ 75 (B/BD)

Compact:
H&K P2000
SIG P228 (/M11A1)
CZ 75C (/PCR)

Why? All are excellently designed and engineered, have proven track records in the hands of world militaries and police forces, and demonstrate excellent handling and reliability.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 04:23:19 AM by RustyM92 »

Offline kma!

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2018, 12:46:37 PM »
I'm a little surprised to see so many G19 votes and not more for the P10C... Especially on a CZ forum. :)

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2018, 01:28:09 PM »

Best should be thought of as "most suitable for a given person and purpose." Those details are often omitted, though, making discussions like this somewhat maddening. ;-)

That's right, and for me those are :
Range :  CZ 75 SP-01 or Canik P120
Full size carry : Glock 17
Compact carry : Ruger LC9s

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2018, 02:23:47 PM »
I'm a little surprised to see so many G19 votes and not more for the P10C... Especially on a CZ forum. :)

Same here... but it is a relatively new pistol.

Once I vetted my P-10C, I sold all of my other striker-fired guns. Mag compatibility with my P-07s was a small factor, but the main motivator was that I just no longer had any interest in other striker-fired guns. *shrug*

"A man's character is his fate."

anything