Author Topic: Weird magazine issue - MecGar 19 round for the CZ 85  (Read 552 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Weird magazine issue - MecGar 19 round for the CZ 85
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:06:42 PM »
Summer time.  Hot, nasty, the CZ 85 (Pre B) has been in the garage all summer.  I've been carrying the Compact clone for yard work, dog walks, car work, etc.

The garage is hot (seen it at 112 F on a good hot afternoon) and the CZ 85 has been in a pistol rug on a box under my reloading chair at the bench.  Not been shot or fiddled with as it's been too hot/muggy to be out there reloading.

I decided to clear out the path to the reloading bench and get my chair clean out/up and do some reloading.  I got some 9MM brass resized and sorted and had some time before it got dark - so I got the CZ 85 out of the pistol rug/case and carried it out to my bench in front of the garage.  I removed the magazine and then removed the chambered round.  For some reason (don't usually do it, no idea why I did it this time) I started thumbing the rounds out of the magazine.  I got about 5 out and they stopped being pushed up to the lips to be thumbed out.  I turned the mag. over and shook it and some of the rounds fell down to the lips (gravity feed).  I shook some out and then the follower snapped downwards under spring pressure and pushed the next round into contact with the lips.  Then next 7 or 8 came out by pushing with my thumb.

I've never had that happen with a CZ/MecGar magazine before.  I took the magazine apart and the inside walls and the blue follower had all kinds of black cruddy pieces on them.  Gritty, like sand.   I cleaned the follower, the spring and the inside walls of the magazine off and put it all back together and it worked as it should.  Not sure what the black stuff was, or where it came from.

I then grabbed the other two magazines (these are exposed, just sitting in the drink holder on the chair arm exposed to the everyday dust, dirt and pollen) and checked them out.  Both were unloaded, taken down and inspected.  Nice and clean inside.  Loaded them back up and put them in the chair arm drink holder

No idea why the two exposed magazines would be cleaner internally than the one in the pistol and also inside the pistol rug.

I guess I'll be checking magazines on the other CZ's for awhile, too.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Joe Allen

Re: Weird magazine issue - MecGar 19 round for the CZ 85
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:29:27 PM »
Gremlin poop in your magazine!

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 12:25:37 AM »
Not gremlins  but fairy poop!
Heat may have distorted the follower.
"1776" - Part II

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 06:36:56 AM »
If there was going to be an issue I'd have expected it in one, or more, of the back up magazines just sitting out in the open in the chair cup holder, not in the magazine inserted into the pistol lying in the pistol rug.  Just a "weird" thing for the circumstances, it seems to me.

Now, could be, if I were firing that pistol, the recoil would have bounced the bullets/follower past those rough/draggy spots and I'd never have known.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

anything