Author Topic: CZ 550 FS scope rings  (Read 2786 times)

Offline sboone

CZ 550 FS scope rings
« on: October 29, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »
I?ve got a CZ 550 FS chambered in 308W, I bought the CZ 19mm dovetail rings for it.  All of the screws included in the rings seem to be very soft and brittle.  Today while shooting one of the heads actually popped off while zeroing the gun although this seemed to have little affect on accuracy.

I attempted to torque the screws down to 20in-lbs which didn?t seem unreasonable to me but on half the screws the heads became easily deformed before I even hit torque so I just got them good as I could without deforming more.

Alternatively can the skinny sling stud be changed out for a standard sling stud for easier use with a bipod?

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
Re: CZ 550 FS scope rings
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 07:35:19 PM »
While expensive, the Leupold CZ mounts are STELLAR!

I've busted CZ branded screws on a few 527's.  I think CZ only recommends them torqued to 15 in/lbs.  I snapped them off at about 18 with a Weaver torque wrench.

Your local dealer should have them about half the price of the website:

https://www.leupold.com/product-series/ringmounts

Offline sboone

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:44:19 PM »
I never did find a solid torque value for the ring screws, only 65in-lbs for the base screws.  Upon googling I found anywhere from 12-25 for rim fire to safari models so 20 seemed logical, I think I can pick up new screws from fastenal I?ll just need to use an easy out tool to remove the broken fastener

Offline sboone

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 09:07:12 PM »
Alternatively here were my results for today

Went to the range this morning to sight in my ?precision? rig, and I use that term lightly.

CZ 550 FS chambered in 308, mounted a PA 4-14 ACSS scope on it last night in CZ 550 rings (the 550 does not use a standard 1913 or weaver rail, it is a 19mm dove tail with a recoil lug on the rear ring)

It was 35F this morning and warmed up to about 50F? By the time I was done shooting.  This is the first time I?ve actually sat down and shot for groups for the sake of shooting for groups so I?d expect that same ammo and conditions someone else would shrink these considerably.

After this I can say that I like the CZ rings but the screws they use are extremely soft and fragile, I will probably have to remount the scope using new screws, they are M3.5x8 for anyone that may need that info

The PA scope seemed to have issues with tracking when we zeroed do to the cold but after adjustment we let go scope sit for a minute or 2 and seemed to track fine.

This is the first group with Winchester, I think these were 150 grain hollow points for hunting, the box was torn up a while back and threw it away but I remember it was a black box with a deer sillouhette on it and I?m lretty sure it said 150 grain on the box.  I wish I had more than the 1 box I used to get on paper because the rifle seemed to really like this ammo.  The 3 shot group was my last shots fired using the star as POA.  Those were also the last three I shot after adjusting the scope with that ammo.

Grouping was about 3/4? center to center.

This was American Eagle 168 grain OTM, this ammo was loaded as match ammo for M14/garand actions and I have some left over from my M1 A scout waiting to be used.  I only had 10 rounds of it to sight POI to POA unfortunately since I?m using the rest in a class in a couple weeks and have just enough left over to make it through.  With (2) 3 shot groups first using the star as POA then using the circle of the R as the next POA after adjusting a little.  Both were about 1? and wanted a couple groups from the 10 rounds to see what I could expect from the gun with my skill level.  This ammo is also about 6 years old but I don?t think that should be a factor in accuracy however it is the reason I dont want to buy more for the class as POI will likely be different after 6 years between manufacturing

This is some of the Malaysian surplus that came in earlier this year.  Lot 1 of 1-86, I assume this means the first lot manufactured in January of 1986.  There is a really nice group in there of 5 rounds that hovers at the 1? mark.  I think it?s impor that I shot these 5 shots in succession but overall this is a 10 shot group since I had plenty on hand.  The overall 10 shot had longest center to center of 3.625?

This is some ZQI I stockpiled from Walmart.  Still have a ton of the stuff.  I had some pretty severe horizontal stringing and I?m not sure whether it?s just how it grouped or do to being tired of shooting groups or some other change I didn?t take into consideration.  It?s a 10 shot groups with longest center to center being 4.875?.

Just interesting results I had and figured I?d share them since Malaysian surplus has been a hot topic lately and ZQI used to be once upon a time.

Offline painter

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »
What was the distance to the target?
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline sboone

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 09:54:53 PM »
100 yds, that?s where PA says to zero in there scope

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 12:39:10 AM »
Were you using the set trigger?
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline sboone

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 09:29:24 AM »
I did not, I forgot about the set trigger completely, that might have helped my shooting a little bit.

I?ll throw this out there as I was called out on it else where, with the Winchester and AE the groups look cherry picked and looked like I ignored any fliers.  The reason for this is I was zeroing the scope as I shot so i shot a string of shots then would adjust and if I took a single shot and adjusted I did not include that shot.  You can see that there are some single holes all over the place as those were farther from my POA so I didn?t bother shooting a group as I already knew I was pretty far off and what direction I needed to go.  Just the way shooting went I only ended up with 1 3 shot of Winchester and 2 3 shots of AE.  I shot the 10 shot groups for giggles and curiosity to see what happens and I had a lot of those types of ammo so I was able to do a larger round count for the group