Author Topic: SP-01 factory USPSA recommendations  (Read 4286 times)

Offline sothoth

SP-01 factory USPSA recommendations
« on: November 01, 2017, 12:39:57 AM »
If I want to use my SP-01 in USPSA, what do you recommend I do in terms of legal modifications?  I am a newbie so guidance is helpful. 

It?s been suggested that I get a trigger with a shorter reach and crisper reset asap so I don?t get used to shooting the stock trigger and then change.  If you recommend the trigger mod, what trigger do you think is best?  I don?t want to start smithing so if I do change the trigger I?ll pay a smith to do it,

It was also recommended that I change the sights.  Fiber optic?  Something else?  Or not necessary until I decide if I want to keep it up or not?  Personally I don?t see why he factory sights need to be messed with.

Hammer?  Someone recommended I change to the CGW factory legal hammer.  I?m not sure I see any logic in doing this right away.  Any thoughts/suggestions?  I don?t know what advantage that hammer gives you in shooting so any info is helpful.  I upgraded my hammer on a mil spec 1911 because the spur hammer was an issue and cut my hand a few times.  No issue like that on the CZ so why would I change it?

Thanks in advance!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: SP-01 factory USPSA recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 12:55:37 AM »
JMO:  The CGW "Race Hammer"  or the CZC "Competition hammer" will make a big improvement in the trigger pull and break.  This makes the pistol "easier" to shoot fast and accurately in USPSA.  Changing the hammer hook geometry with one of these hammers is likely to require fitting the safety to the sear.  This can be done manually OR by getting the CGW "adjustable sear" makes it easy to do with a turn or two of an allen wrench (provided with the adj. sear.)
  The short reset disconnector makes the SA trigger pull "very" much closer to what you have with a good 1911 trigger pull.
  These upgrades with the hammer spring of choice is a really good package for USPSA,  AND can be done by anyone familiar with using common tools.  Look for the videos that detail "how-to" process.

Let others who have done these mods for USPSA Competition comment on the results.

Offline sothoth

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 12:15:34 PM »
Do you recommend sending this to CGW?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
Just my opinion not knowing your situation.
CGW will do a superior job.  Same great job with The CZ Custom Shop with their upgraded parts.
You can save money by DIY the parts.  If you gain the confidence to remove and replace the hammer linkage and the Short Reset Disconnector parts (drive out and replace pins),   install the CGW  adjustable sear with one small spring  or "Fit" your sear to the new hammer (videos here show how to do all),  and install a new hammer spring ( 15# or 13#,  try both...this is simple to do);  then DIY.

If not,  then contact and talk to CGW or CZC about what you want,  and they can give you a price and approximately how long it will take to do the work.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 12:12:20 AM by 1SOW »

Offline sothoth

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 11:51:03 PM »
I?ve done a bunch of simple pistol stuff like replacing an M&P trigger, fitting a competition bushing on a 1911, upgrading the mainspring housing on my 1911 to one with more aggressive checkering, etc.  Never did any fitting on parts with critical functionality.  I think I?d prefer this to be done at CGW or CZC but I?ll look at their price list before making a final call.  Often high prices for mods make me more brave :)

Offline Mutt208

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 12:56:04 PM »
all The cajun parts !

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 12:18:44 AM »
I?ve done a bunch of simple pistol stuff like replacing an M&P trigger, fitting a competition bushing on a 1911, upgrading the mainspring housing on my 1911 to one with more aggressive checkering, etc.  Never did any fitting on parts with critical functionality.  I think I?d prefer this to be done at CGW or CZC but I?ll look at their price list before making a final call.  Often high prices for mods make me more brave :)

No  hand fitting will be needed if you buy the CGW "Adjustable Sear"  With this,  the fitting is done by simply turning a hex screw.

Offline sothoth

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:48:01 PM »
Just emailed with CGW, I decided to send mine in for the pro package.  Thanks for sharing all your advice on this!!

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 04:04:25 AM »
Good move. CGW are great to work with. Fantastic customer service too. Let us know how awesome it is when you get it.

Offline JLla84

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 10:35:21 PM »
Are shadows with competition hammers and tuned triggers legal in production and limited divisions?
Visit my IG for USPSA and other shooting videos!
https://www.instagram.com/jlla84/

CZ Shadow 2 Cajunized
CZ P10c Cajunized
CZ Cajun PCR
CZ Scorpion K SBR
Sig P365XL RX
M&P Shield

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 11:49:54 AM »
Yes

Offline MoRivera

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 04:29:11 PM »
I am also setting up a SP-01 Tactical for IDPA SSP and USPSA Production.  I'll include a list below of what I'm 'adding', and hopefully some will provide feedback as to whether I'm staying within legal specs for both.  Thanks.

1. CGW 75205 Production Legal Kit, which includes the CZ 10035 factory competition hammer
2. CZ 85C trigger (which has overtravel adjustment screw)
3. Dawson Precision competition CZ sight set, fiber optic front/black rear

If I gather correctly, since the hammer and trigger are OEM CZ parts, I should be fine.  Am I correct?

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 09:31:56 PM »
Are shadows with competition hammers and tuned triggers legal in production and limited divisions?

Yes to the hammer in Production.  April 5, 2017 ruling update allows aftermarket hammers provided they function identically as the OFM hammer, regardless of external appearance.  Its listed on the NROI updates in the rules section of the USPSA website. 

Tuned triggers are also legal in Production div, however the trigger itself (the shoe) must be an OFM part on another gun in the company?s production line.  For example a lot of people like the trigger on the CZ85.  That can be intalled on the CZ75 series guns and be legal to shoot in Prod. 

As far as Limited Division, you can do a lot of aftermarket changes to the gun and still be legal short of adding a red dot sight or compensator. 

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 10:34:00 PM »
It was posted here that the CGW race hammer is now legal for USPSA Production class . 
As long as a pistol model's safety equipment is still in place you're legal for most any internal changes for USPSA.

anything