Author Topic: Old Pre-B stealth Cajunized - Back from shop  (Read 1183 times)

Offline dfernturtle

Old Pre-B stealth Cajunized - Back from shop
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
I'm a fan of well made old machines. But I thought a CZ 75 Pre-B in great shape would be hard to find, so I bought a straight up B back in May and put about 500 rounds through it. It's all broken in and shooting sweet - then I run across a Pre-B on consignment in a shop. It's been blued, had some sweet action work, and front sight replacement. I pick it up at a great price, take it to the range - and the front sight flies off on the 4th shot.

I wanted to have it looked over anyway, so I sent it to Cajun Gun Works with instructions - I just want sweet sights for my old eyes, a look over, and I don't want a gun geek looking pistol. After they get it, I get a call, some discussion, and I ask, "How about fiber optic in the front and Tru-Dot in the back like my RAMI." They did that, and a little polishing and action tweaking.

Today I get it back, and this old girl is gently Cajunized. what a gorgeous sight picture with that bright red front sight dot between the Tru-Dot in the back. Looks like a sweet old well made machine, and feels like it too. Can't wait to get it to the range. Here's my old new CZ 75 Pre-B, and the new CZ 75 B being replaced (I'll be selling it, but don't tell it - don'twant any feeling hurt).

Oh, BTW, I searched for a post to determine date of manufacture from serial number. Didn't find anything. Might be operator error. Anyone know?

Cheers!
--
Daniel

Offline Blackwatch

Re: Old Pre-B stealth Cajunized - Back from shop
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:11:20 PM »
From the overall features it looks like it was 80's manufacture, however, look at the date stamp above the extractor to be exact (I couldn't make out the digits in the picture).

Very nice looking pistol  :)

Offline Mister Coffee

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:31:39 PM »
Nice work. And I like those old spur hammers.  :)
Colt 1911s, Browning Hi-Powers, other assorted noisemakers.

Offline dfernturtle

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
...however, look at the date stamp above the extractor to be exact (I couldn't make out the digits in the picture).
Looks like 90, maybe.

Interesting stamp on the barrel too. Is that typical?

--
Daniel

Offline ernie_h

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 12:05:31 AM »
Looks great; interesting sight combination....works well down to low light? Be interesting to post up your observations. Also, how much of a gap (qualitatively) between the rear sight cut and the front blade?

Next question (sorry, but it's an interesting piece)....what grips are those, and what is on the front strap (can't tell if the same material is on the backstrap from the photos).

Thanks!

Offline dfernturtle

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 01:01:04 AM »
Is there a reason why you chose a tritium night sight in the rear instead of a standard white dot sight?
Odd choice, right? It has to do with the purpose for this pistol. I shoot for two reasons.
1. Practice defense tactics and reliable aim with my CZ RAMI 2075 BD concealed carry gun. I'm not Robin Hood, so I just want to know how to be the winner if I ever need to use it in defense of myself or my family. It has Tru-Do Tritium all the way round. I'm comfortable with the frame of the rear sight.
2. Marksmanship, focus, but not fancy, as a stress reduction from the job that pays my mortgage - on an indoor or outdoor range. That's what the CZ 75 is for. I chose this because it has the same rear sight I'm comfortable with on my CC gun, and a nice bright front sight that's kind to my 57 year old eyes (I told Micah at Cajun Gun Works, just my eyes are 57, the rest is much younger. Not sure he believed me.). So this arrangement gives me a frame I'm comfortable with, and a front sight that will pop, which should be good for open sunlight to low light.
I'll tell you, nice measured breathing and concentration on shooting well - without too much fancy assistance - is like meditation for me. I'm really relaxed when I leave the range usually. My side job is designing specialty beers for craft breweries. That requires no stress reduction. :)
I'm asking because at night, wouldn't you only see the glowing dots of the rear sight, since the front fiber optic sight doesn't work in darkness?
Yep, I'm assuming this sight arrangement would be pretty useless in a nighttime defense incident. That's why it's on my range/meditation pistol.

Cheers!
--
Daniel

Offline dfernturtle

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 01:17:33 AM »
Looks great; interesting sight combination....works well down to low light? Be interesting to post up your observations. Also, how much of a gap (qualitatively) between the rear sight cut and the front blade?

Next question (sorry, but it's an interesting piece)....what grips are those, and what is on the front strap (can't tell if the same material is on the backstrap from the photos).

Thanks!
I'm not sure how technical my observations will be. Some dry-fire practice today showed vertical gaps between the rear sight frame and front sight. But I'm usually focusing on the target, and the sight dots blend in a fuzzy pattern that I get comfortable with and know is right or wrong. The contrast between big white dots on the side and the bright red dot in the middle should be fun to put into practice. I'll comment on my impressions after I take it to the range.

I got this gun from an estate sale. The action work, blue finish, and grips were done a long time ago. The grips are Pachmayr tactical rubber grips, I guess you could call them heirloom. The backstrap and front strap appear to be manually stippled. It's not a cover - the frame was stippled before it was blued - it's pretty nice.

Thanks for your interest,
--
Daniel

Offline Psyop96

Old Pre-B stealth Cajunized - Back from shop
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 01:52:25 AM »
Nice looking 1990 Pre-B! Looks like the previous party had both the beaver tail and the spur hammer ?bobbed? (or a broken tip was refinished on the hammer). The N over the Bohemian Lion stamp and SN on the barrel are the normal Czechoslovak/Czech proof markings. Those appear to be Pachmayr grips.

Was the previous front sight staked in versus the nice milled-in CGW setup? Regarding rear sights for older eyes, I like the utility of the plain serrated black EZ/D rear sights from CGW but, in my eyes, they don?t quite flow with the profile of the pistol. 

You design specialty beers for small breweries as a side job? You ought to spend some time in the Czech Republic! One thing that?s sorely lacking in the States (and most everywhere) are finely made lagers as everyone goes for the zing that can be packed into ales. Congrats on the fine looking pistol.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:50:49 AM by Psyop96 »

Offline dfernturtle

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
Was the previous front sight staked in versus the nice milled-in CGW setup?
Whomever did the smithing previously did mill in the sight that was lost. They did not do a set screw like CGW - just a bit of scoring and a press fit, which didn't hold. Thanks for the information.

I've designed beers for breweries in Spain and the USA, and last brewed a collaboration with Brasserie Fant?me in Soy, Belgium. Mostly "specialty" means different process or ingredients like barrel aging, herbs, spices, cocoa, coffee, etc. Sometimes it means reviving old forgotten heirloom styles. I do like a well crafted traditional lager, and we have a couple local brewers that do them well.

Cheers,
--
Daniel

Offline dfernturtle

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
My wife and I took these four to the range.
? An old Smith & Wesson Model 27 6 1/2" Blue 357 Magnum (my wife's)
? An old (1990) Cesk? zbrojovka CZ 75 Pre-B 9mm
? A young Cesk? zbrojovka CZ 2075 RAMI D 9mm
? A young Springfield Armory XD 3? Sub-Compact .40 S&W (my wife's)

Happy to report the sight setup on the Pre-B worked pretty bleep fine for my old eyes. And it's shooting sweet and accurate.

Unhappy to report that my wife decided last night that she likes my RAMI better than her XD. She wants to trade... Hahaha  ::)

Offline exit plan

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 09:37:54 PM »
Very nice
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never

Offline Christophorus

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 11:02:34 PM »
sweet 75
CZ 75B Ω, 9mm