CZ LONG ARMS > CZF RIMFIRES

cz455 varmit evolution - fluted vs non

(1/1)

86304:
hey guys, looking for your opinions.
been wanting a cz455 .22 LR for a while for a bench rifle, non competition. Just for fun.
thinking the varmit evolution will fit the bill.
they are not all that common.
on line, there are some with the fluted barrel in the $400 range and non-fluted in the $500 range.
Think it's worth the difference ($100)
Thanks,  Bob   8)

10-96:
I personally can't get past old school thinking on fluting.  I know barrel making has come a long long ways in the past 40 years.  However, it still sticks in my head that the more that's done to the exterior of a barrel equates to more influence, heat, and working that has been placed on the barrel as a whole.  To me, turning a barrel to shape is a single point affair wherein the cutting tool's efforts evolve around the barrel (actually the barrel rotates against the cutting tool), and is spread evenly across the breadth and length of the barrel in a very uniformed manner.  Now, fluting is a singular attack to the metal where a cutting tool is placed against one linear area and walks a pre defined length, and this is repeated.  Granted, it's done in even increments around the barrel, but still, to me, it seems disruptive to the integrity of the barrel steel and it's inclination to remain as straight as it was formed.

I know, that's all probably just hooey and baseless worry.  However, mental confidence in all the components of a firearm plays an important role in my confidence in the rifle as a whole.

So that said... in my twisted and humble opinion- I would sleep better at night with a non-fluted barrel.

Blackwatch:
I'd go with fluted...use the money saved to buy nice ammo and have hours of fun!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version