Author Topic: Milspec primers, who uses 'em?  (Read 1607 times)

Moken

Milspec primers, who uses 'em?
« on: November 03, 2017, 03:34:06 PM »
 I was wondering about the collectives thoughts on auto loading rifles using the heavier primers? So far I've just used standard primers on many thousand rounds through my Mini 14 and AR15.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
Re: Milspec primers, who uses 'em?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »
I use 41s on my ARs just to make sure there are no auto fire problems. Always have so I can't tell you there is actually a need.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 06:51:02 PM »
When I first started reloading for my M1A I was still using Federal LR Bench Rest primers.  Never had an issue.

I used lots of regular CCI LR primers over the years, too.

I did buy some of the MilSpec CCI LR primers when I first started reloading for my M1 Garands.  Didn't see much difference in them and standard CCI LR primers when it comes to group size.

I've never used anything for the AR15's but standard/commercial SR primers from Federal, CCI an Tula.  No issues with slam fires.  Did have about 3 duds with the Tula primers about a year or so back.

I do believe in keeping my rifles clean.  I routinely disassemble the bolts/carriers on the AR15's and clean/lube the parts before I put it back together.  I only rarely disassemble clean/lube the M1A/M1 Garand bolts.  I do routinely drop some oil into the firing pin channel from the rear and the front when cleaning the rifle.  Then I work the firing pin back and forth in the bolt and wipe off the excess.

I also don't single load (drop a shell into the chamber then let the bolt slam forward on it.  I load from the magazine.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 10:25:03 PM »
I used Wolf mil spec primers to load maybe 1K of 223 for my AR with zero bad incidents, but that's all I used so I have no basis for comparison.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 07:56:25 AM »
I don't believe it matters on the Mini, but in an AR I would definitely run a milspec, or at least a magnum primer.  AR's have free floating firing pins, and even the act of putting a round into battery will cause the firing pin to come into contact with a primer.

Try this: insert a full magazine into your AR, then rack a round into the chamber with the charging handle.  Now drop the magazine and extract the round from the chamber and inspect the primer.  You will notice that it has a small indentation where the firing pin hit the case when going into battery.

It will look like this:

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
I've never shot my (40 year old) Mini 14 enough to warrant a bolt disassembly and cleaning/lubing but if it's like the M14 or M1 Garand then it also has a floating firing pin.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Moken

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 01:52:23 PM »
I've never shot my (40 year old) Mini 14 enough to warrant a bolt disassembly and cleaning/lubing but if it's like the M14 or M1 Garand then it also has a floating firing pin.
I took my Mini 14 bolt down after 2k+ rounds and the firing pin was clean as new. Shot some Remoil in er and went shooting. I love that gun.

Offline vaglocker

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
Nothing but milspec primers for my 5.56 ammo

Offline Son of the Gael

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »
When I started out with my M1A, I used just whichever standard primers I had on hand for my .308's.  Then one day I squeezed the trigger and two rounds fired.  This was most disconcerting.  I switched to CCI 34's and never had another issue with it.  Since getting into the AR game I use 41's; wouldn't be afraid of Rem 7 1/2's, CCI 450's or other magnum primers since they have the thick cups.  I have a bunch of S&B which are supposed to be fine too, time will tell.

For the record, I my 527 is fed different rounds than my AR's, mostly Federal just now.

Offline Augie.Cooper

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »
I don't run "milspec" primers in my 223 reloads, I don't push my reloads hot enough as well as I don't repeatedly rechamber a round, at most a round is going to get chambered 3 times including the time it is shot. The myth that you need to used a special primer for the AR is busted by the fact that their are hundreds of companies loading 223/556 for the AR-15 and few if any of them are going to have access to CCI primers.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
I don't run "milspec" primers in my 223 reloads, I don't push my reloads hot enough

Being pushed "hot" has nothing to do with it.  The issue isn't about the pressure of the cartridge, it is about the free floating firing pin colliding with primer cup.

as well as I don't repeatedly rechamber a round, at most a round is going to get chambered 3 times including the time it is shot.

Think of this.  If you've chambered a round in an AR 3 times...your firing pin has hit the primer three times before you have shot the round.  Every time the round is chambered, it has hit the primer.  EVERY TIME.  Why wouldn't you want a harder primer there?

The myth that you need to used a special primer for the AR is busted by the fact that their are hundreds of companies loading 223/556 for the AR-15 and few if any of them are going to have access to CCI primers.

Most companies loading .223 are not loading them with the intent of being shot in an AR.  They are loading them for use in bolt guns.

I'll guarantee that any company producing a load that has 5.56 on the box has a harder primer in it.  Not necessarily a CCI 41, but a magnum primer of some variety.  Why?  Because it is assumed that it will be used in a firearm with a free floating firing pin.

Keep shooting your standard primers if it makes you happy, but there is no "Myth" that you need a harder primer in an AR.  It's a fact.

Moken

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 08:51:52 PM »
So you would "guarantee" all .223 is loaded with harder primers because AR 15s and Mini 14s have free floating firing pins. If that's true why would all the reloading supply and reloading manuals demand harder primers?

Offline painter

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 09:09:24 PM »
So you would "guarantee" all .223 is loaded with harder primers because AR 15s and Mini 14s have free floating firing pins. If that's true why would all the reloading supply and reloading manuals demand harder primers?
That isn't what he said.

He said if it has 5.56 on the box

<snip>
Most companies loading .223 are not loading them with the intent of being shot in an AR.  They are loading them for use in bolt guns.

I'll guarantee that any company producing a load that has 5.56 on the box has a harder primer in it.  Not necessarily a CCI 41, but a magnum primer of some variety.  Why?  Because it is assumed that it will be used in a firearm with a free floating firing pin.

Keep shooting your standard primers if it makes you happy, but there is no "Myth" that you need a harder primer in an AR.  It's a fact.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Moken

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 10:00:40 PM »
So why do many AR makers say you can run .223 or 5.56?

Offline painter

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 06:16:35 AM »
Because the chamber will accommodate either spec, just like my CZ bolt action rifle will.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

anything