Author Topic: Trigger pull vs trigger smoothness  (Read 292 times)

Offline monadhclann

Trigger pull vs trigger smoothness
« on: November 04, 2017, 09:02:07 PM »
I got a Lyman gauge yesterday and could not wait to run all of my pistols through it. The DW Shadowback had a SA pull of 4.1 pounds. The Les Baer Commanche ranged from 3.5 pounds to 4 pounds.

The surprise came when I tested the CZ Shadow 2. The DA ranged from the mid 10 pound range to just over 11. The SA was right at 4 pounds. Both were very smooth. I expected lighter on the DA, but it feel good.

The surprise was complete when I tested a Beretta M9A3G. The DA was 8.5 pounds and the SA was right at 4 pounds. Not as smooth as the Shadow 2, but much lighter DA.

I may send the Shadow off for work by CZC. We'll see.

Offline wdbutcher

Re: Trigger pull vs trigger smoothness
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:50:23 PM »
I've had some pistols that the trigger had such a crisp clean break that I swore they had a lighter trigger pull than they really had. They're really a pleasure to shoot. I don't really like a SA trigger pull that is less than 3.5 lbs. I don't like those kind of surprises, but everyone has different preferences.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
As I've become more proficient with handguns - I've actually gone back up in trigger pull weight preference. 
But of course I still want it as smooth as it can be.

Online Joe L

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »
As I've become more proficient with handguns - I've actually gone back up in trigger pull weight preference. 
But of course I still want it as smooth as it can be.

Me, too.  I can and did run a near two pound SAO trigger in my 75B with a Kadet conversion, but I couldn't handle that frame with the 9mm slide on it--trigger was too smooth!!  I heavied up the 75B frame trigger pull to 3 lbs and all was well, with both the 9mm and the Kadet slides.  My P-09 has been right at 3 lbs for several years, and I have had it as low as 2-1/2, but didn't like it.  I have my 97 trigger at a little over 3.5 lbs.  So, 3-3.5 seems to be the sweet spot, with lots of engagement and not too crisp.

What the heavier pull with more engagement of the sear and hammer allows me to do is to put some pressure on the trigger to help me steady up the gun without worrying about letting the shot off too early.  I can "prep the trigger", put some pressure on it as the sights are lining up.  But this only works if the trigger is NOT gritty or rough!  A heavy trigger that is also rough is impossible to shoot.  My P-07 was that way, come to think of it.  CGW hammer fixed it. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 03:54:23 PM »
My P-09 after several cgw Springs a lot of stoning and polishing of various internal parts,
DA 7.5# SA 2.5# Smoooooth
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline monadhclann

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
I am more accurate with my Shadow 2, and there is no surprise in that. I love that pistol.

But the Beretta has grown on me.

DA results average:

SA results average:

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:48:23 PM »
You're right.  Sometimes a trigger can be so smooth it feels "lighter" than it really is.  I put a spur hammer in a project pistol last year (the CZ 85 Compact clone) and with the stock sear and that spur hammer the SA trigger pull was just amazing.  I put the gauge on it and it was 3 lbs. exactly.  Three lbs.  I would have bet a lot of money it was lighter than that.  It's just so crisp it feels lighter.  I had to test it about 4 times to convince myself it really was 3 lbs.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline dshoub

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 02:10:28 PM »
I've experienced this as well, and it is amazing how a very smooth trigger pull can feel lighter than it actually is.