Author Topic: P07 stock sights, point of impact  (Read 3219 times)

Offline OhioGuy78

P07 stock sights, point of impact
« on: November 04, 2017, 09:54:02 PM »
Does anyone know where the point of impact is meant to be in the stock three dot (glow in the dark) "night sights"?

I just got my P07 today and put 100 rounds through. It seems to be hitting high, but I'm used to the front sight covering the point of impact. Placing the front below the point of impact seemed to help.

Precision was no problem, I was keeping very tight groups, just the accuracy..

Do the stock sights place the point of impact above the front sight?

I was noticing this even as close as 20 feet. Out at 60 feet it was very pronounced. It's possible it's just me, since I'm new to this gun, but it was happening regardless of DA or SA. I'm pretty sure I wasn't pulling off target.

Offline wdbutcher

Re: P07 stock sights, point of impact
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 10:24:36 PM »
How much too high was your P-07 shooting at 60 ft. and at 20 ft? Are you shooting from a rest? That's the best way to determine whether it's you or your P-07 that's shooting high.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:21:16 PM »
I don't have night sights on my P-07 but do on my P-09.  My P-09 shoots point of aim at 25 yards.  My P-07 shoots about 3 inches high at 25 yards off of sand bags. 

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 11:35:02 PM »
What grain bullets are you using ?  I noticed a difference when I switch to 147 grain I was shooting about 5 inches higher at 50 ft
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline OhioGuy78

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 11:37:52 PM »
What grain bullets are you using ?  I noticed a difference when I switch to 147 grain I was shooting about 5 inches higher at 50 ft

It was all 115 grain federal

Offline OhioGuy78

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 11:39:19 PM »
I don't have night sights on my P-07 but do on my P-09.  My P-09 shoots point of aim at 25 yards.  My P-07 shoots about 3 inches high at 25 yards off of sand bags.

Funny, I rented the P09 and it was drilling point of aim bullseye's at 50', but my new P07 (same sights) was almost exactly 3" high at the same distance.

Hmmph...

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:29:52 AM »
I'd shoot the gun from a rest and make an honest assessment of how it's hitting and go from there. The front sight will have a number on the front of it and to lower the poi you would pick a higher number. If the gun is new you could give CZ-USA a call and let them zero it for you under warranty rather than working on it yourself.

Offline eastman

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 12:00:02 PM »
SIGs and some other brands use a combat sight picture where the front site dot is paced on the POA.

Try a sight picture with the top of the front sight at the POA (front dot below) and see if that works better.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »

Funny, I rented the P09 and it was drilling point of aim bullseye's at 50', but my new P07 (same sights) was almost exactly 3" high at the same distance.

Hmmph...
3 inch high at 50 ft you think the sights are off .holy crap even if the sights were perfect I'd be thrilled with a shot like that at that distance. If that's your self defense gun the guy is dead. If you're into Bullseye Shooting then yes it's going to be off.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline OhioGuy78

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 12:38:35 PM »
I confirmed from bench rest that the point of impact does appear to be behind the front sight at 15 feet, but out at 45 feet it was definitely shooting about 3 inches high. I repeated the experiment at 45 feet from rest, this time using a 6:00 hold with the Target area floating just above the front sight, and except for being a little bit to the right (which I'm sure it was my own fault), I was hitting much closer to where I thought I should. I have pictures of the targets but I cannot figure out how to upload them on this site. Do I have to reach a certain number of post before I'm allowed to add photos?

At 20' I'm not having any trouble keeping shots inside a 4" area when shooting quickly, so the gun doesn't have any trouble :)

I am very likely to replace these with Dawson precision fiber optic sights soon, so I'm not going to lose a lot of sleep over the factory point of impact, I'm just curious if this matches other people's experience

Offline FakeCZName

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »
OhioGuy, My P-07 POI is right above the top edge of the sights and I like it that way. If I aim directly underneath the bullseye or even a small dot--I can drill it. I very much prefer this to having to place your sights on or over the point you want to hit. I like being able to see and see hits on an unobscured point directly above the sights. This seems to be advantageous for self-defense too, since a high hit is usually more lethal than a lower hit. After you get used to it, you may like being able to see your target better while aiming underneath it. It gives you more immediate feedback without having to move your gun as much to get back on target.

Offline OhioGuy78

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 05:29:52 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

My front sight has a number 3 on it. I figure this is a code for the height? The manual says it can be replaced with other heights. Does anyone know this code and what effect a different number would have? I assume a #4 would raise the point of impact.

Although I do see the advantage to being able to see what you hope to hit...

Offline OhioGuy78

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!

My front sight has a number 3 on it. I figure this is a code for the height? The manual says it can be replaced with other heights. Does anyone know this code and what effect a different number would have? I assume a #4 would raise the point of impact.

Although I do see the advantage to being able to see what you hope to hit...
Looking on the CZ USA site, they say that a 3mm front sight matches the factory installed sight, if I'm reading it right. They also have #4 and #5 sight options. Does anyone know if these correspond to millimeter increments?

And, if I were to replace just the front with a fiber optic of the same height, then it should work fine with the factory rear...? Or should I order things in sets to avoid potential issues?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk