Author Topic: New to me 75 SA  (Read 728 times)

Offline Model Citizen

Re: New to me 75 SA
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 05:56:04 PM »
My standard 75B SA has a 4lb 8oz trigger.
The problem (for me) is the slight creep & hammer camming to the rear just before sear release.
I will eventually need to do something about this as I really like the pistol.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »
CGW race hammer.  CGW adjustable sear.  Some polishing of the trigger bar. 

The above can make a big difference.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Ruber

New to me 75 SA
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 06:19:12 PM »
Picked this nice '01 made 75 SA a few weeks ago for a great price.  I bought a Sig 226 Legion SAO earlier this year, been liking it a lot so when I saw this 75 SA for a great price, and four mags I jumped on it. 
Congrats!  I’d love to get one made that early!  My ‘04 cz is my nicest by far.

I would like to know why many people think they have to immediately ship the CZ-75B SA off to CGW for a trigger job. Is the stock trigger that bad?

Thanks. :)
The 75B SA trigger can (emphasis on can) have the same feel as the the sa trigger on the standard models.  While the trigger is adjustable for travel, in my experience, the reset and hammer camming are the same as any other 75B series.

There are folks running CZ’s with CGW heartbeats with less than 3# sa trigger and super short resets (if they take the fpb out).  The SA is a great platform for that kind of a build.

Be interesting to see how it compares to the Sig.  The Sig I sent in to the Custom Shop for some work came back with the shortest reset of any of my non-1911’s and a crisp 3# trigger. :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:21:35 PM by Ruber »

Offline Mister Coffee

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »
My standard 75B SA has a 4lb 8oz trigger.
The problem (for me) is the slight creep & hammer camming to the rear just before sear release.
I will eventually need to do something about this as I really like the pistol.

"Hammer camming"? I don't like the sound of that. I gather that it is the norm on CZ-75s. How about the other models?
Colt 1911s, Browning Hi-Powers, other assorted noisemakers.

Offline boo2112

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 11:01:49 PM »
"Hammer camming"? I don't like the sound of that. I gather that it is the norm on CZ-75s.

Yes, hammer camming is normal with the CZ 75 design. Pulling the trigger in single-action mode pushes the trigger bar rearward, which rotates the sear and causes the hammer to move slightly rearward before it releases from the sear and strikes the firing pin.

Here is an outstanding illustration, courtesy of user romukom (from http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=73586.0 CZ Action Timing):

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:08:39 PM by boo2112 »

Offline Ruber

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 09:08:15 AM »
"Hammer camming"? I don't like the sound of that. I gather that it is the norm on CZ-75s. How about the other models?
Its a feature found only in the California approved models....

Kinda kidding, but the competition based models (Shadows, etc) feature different hammers/sears that don’t cam in SA.  Fortunately we have CZC and CGW. :D

Offline Mister Coffee

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 10:14:10 AM »
@ Ruber: Thanks for that further clarification. :)

Offline boo2112

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »
Hammer camming is not a flaw, it was intentionally designed as a safety feature.

Here's a good summary from another forum:

The backwards camming of the hammer during trigger pull is there as a safety feature. As someone once explained to me, its there so that the catch doesn't accidentally slip off and release the hammer. Basically, the hammer camming can be broken down into three types, hammers that cam slightly back on trigger pull, hammers that do not move, and hammers that begin to creep forward with trigger pull. The last condition is very dangerous and can be called a hair-trigger, since it can discharge spontaneously from rough handling of the weapon, and may also give an inconsistent release, as the hammer slips off the sear.

Furthermore:

1) if the hammer moves forward, then the hammer/sear is said
to have negative engagement. (this is BAD).

2) if the hammer remains motionless, then the hammer/sear is said
to have neutral engagement.

3) if the hammer moves rearward, then the hammer/sear is said
to have positive engagement.

"Positive engagement" is the preferred and safer condition. This is because the hammer will tend to want to remain on its full cock notch until overcome by the effort of moving the sear.

Neutral conditions are less safe than the positive condition but not necessarily a dangerous one.

Negative condition is dangerous as the hammer has, essentially, already begun to "let off" and will finish doing so with very little vibration or effort (hair trigger). If the negative condition is severe enough the sear can slip causing an inadvertent and unexpected discarge at any time.

So reducing hammer camming also reduces the safety margin built into the gun. This is mitigated somewhat if the gun has a firing pin block. However, many people choose to also remove the firing pin block, and several CZ "competition" models don't have a firing pin block (e.g. CZ 75 Shadow). It is up the owner of the gun to determine what trade-offs are acceptable between safety and performance (i.e. shorter/lighter trigger pull).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:22:44 PM by boo2112 »

Offline Mister Coffee

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 01:16:15 PM »
Muy interesante, boo. Thanks. :)

Online Morbid1X

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »
Boo, that is some excellent information, as someone who works on my own personal toys. I would rather learn this concept before an accident rather than after. Definitely something to think about.

Offline GBCZ

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
This one has a nice crisp trigger, I don't feel like modifying it at all.