Author Topic: What's the fastest way to prime brass?  (Read 503 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

What's the fastest way to prime brass?
« on: November 09, 2017, 06:44:48 PM »
I have a Hornady LNL Auto Progressive Press. When I press the arm forward to really seat S&B primers well it seems like the motion is torquing the press components to the side where the arm is located. My press is on a bench that is very sturdy, so play and movement isn't the issue. Now that I am reloading 10mm it seems like the primers are even tougher to seat. I would like to prime brass quickly and get the primers seated all the way, and avoid putting more wear on my press.

If still using my press to do this action is the best option then I can live with that... But if some of the other primer tools can do the job effectively then I am willing to do this as a separate step.

Thanks for all the upcoming help! This sub-forum is always, in the least, extremely informative.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline ReloaderFred

Re: What's the fastest way to prime brass?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:05:39 PM »
If you have a single stage press, I use either the Lyman or RCBS Ram Prime units.  You can set the seating depth very accurately with this tool and it's easy to use. 

Some are going to suggest hand priming, which may be OK for some, but as I get older, I can't use those "nutcracker" priming gadgets, and never really liked them anyway.

I also have a LnL, but I clean all my primer pockets prior to priming, so I do the sizing/decapping on one of my Rockchucker presses.  After cleaning the primer pockets with a machine I cobbled up, then I prime with the Ram Prime tool on the Rockchucker.  When I load on my LnL, I'm running sized and primed brass, which frees up one position for an RCBS Lockout Die.  This is my preferred method of loading ammunition, but it may not be for others.

With my primer pocket cleaning setup, I can clean 1,000 brass in about 45 to 50 minutes, depending on the brass and how easy it is to handle.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline snakeye

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 09:51:26 PM »
I'm with Fred use a ram prime. I have the Lee Ram Prime but any other brand will work. I use the small Lee single stage press I have had for years. I still use the Lee hand prime while watch TV but I too have old age issues. There are also some table top primers that might work for you also. Either way I feel your pain, I got rid of my primer system on my Lee Turret Press, it is so much faster to prime separately IMO than messing around with press installed systems all the time.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 10:37:46 PM »
Question... Is your LNL mounted to the bench top, or do you use one of those Ultra Mounts from Inline Fab ?

I had one of the RCBS Bench Prime units, which I though was very fast and gave a lot of "feel", but my son took it and I haven't seen it since.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/457599/rcbs-automatic-bench-priming-tool
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 11:17:20 PM »
YES!!! This Rcbs bench mounted primer tool seems perfect! Do you have u all know if I can use my primer tubes I have from my Hornady LNL?

Question... Is your LNL mounted to the bench top, or do you use one of those Ultra Mounts from Inline Fab ?

It is mounted to my bench.
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 07:26:57 AM »
I notice hard seating with S&B primers and a few different brands of brass in particular. I loaded up on Some&B primers last time they were on sale for $19.99/box. Haven't seen them that cheap in a while so will probably re-stock w/ Winchesters.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 10:16:26 AM »
YES!!! This RCBS bench mounted primer tool seems perfect!

Other than the press, I really dislike mounting things to the reloading bench for several reasons. I greatly prefer mounting items like the primer tool and separate powder measures to a short section of 1x6 board...
• On long runs I like to have the ability to change the item's physical position to keep my hands and arm from getting tired.
• Since these items are used only "part time", I like to move them into the background when not in use. This clears more room for ammo boxes, notebooks and other items needed at other stages of reloading.
• It makes them easier to use in front of the TV or to loan.... which in the case of my son is not always a great thing !  ;D

Do you have u all know if I can use my primer tubes I have from my Hornady LNL?

Since these primer tubes are precision drawn aluminum tubing, I highly suspect there is only one vendor that all the press makers buy from. So the tubing size will probably be correct, whether the plastic tips will be the same is the question.

It is mounted to my bench.

I sincerely believe that the larger footprint of the UltraMount will stop all your twisting and deflection issues. These type mounts allow the press to sit deeper (further back) on the bench top, where most benches are more stable. They also have an 11x11" bolt pattern into the wood, rather than the 3x3" bolt pattern of the press base. This larger engagement area greatly reduces bench top bending and the tendency to twist under loading.

If I were you, I'd start dropping Christmas gift hints in the very near future.  ;D

Ho! Ho! Ho!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:22:16 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »
Like Wobbly, I have several of my tools mounted on 10" x 10" squares that I've made up from 1.5" thick plywood.  I have 8 Star lube/sizers, and they're all mounted on these squares so when I need one, I just clamp it to my bench with large C clamps.  When I don't need it, it goes back on the shelf.  My motor driven primer pocket cleaner is also mounted to a wood base and when it's not in use, it's stored away. 

My benches are pretty sturdy.  One is made from 2x8 tongue and groove lumber and covered with 3/4" plywood, glued and screwed. Then it's cross reinforced with 2x10 lumber underneath for the front half of the bench, where presses are mounted.  Another is made from 3x12 planks and covered in a black plastic non-static 1/8" thick plastic that I got from one of the military bases I used to work near.  The third bench is made from a solid core door.  They all have 4x4 posts for legs and are cross braced fore and aft.  The first two are bolted end to end, and they don't move, period.  The third one is fastened into the wall, and half of it is covered with a 1/4" thick aluminum plate for the heavy duty stuff.

A solid bench is paramount to doing good work when operating the press and other tools.  That way, all your effort goes into the machine, and not in moving the bench.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 11:36:55 AM »
 I don't disagree at all with the value of using the strong mount. With my LnL, however, the twist/rotation I've noticed when priming is confined to the sub plate/ram.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 12:38:25 PM »
Thank you Wobbly and Reloader Fred, all very excellent points! Having things mounted on plates or squares so they can be removed is fantastic advice.

For the movement, I wasn't super clear... It if what Earl seems to be describing:

I don't disagree at all with the value of using the strong mount. With my LnL, however, the twist/rotation I've noticed when priming is confined to the sub plate/ram.

It's the components around the ram that are torquing. The bench isn't moving, and the reloader isn't moving/sliding where it is mounted.
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 01:42:26 PM »
I do my priming in batches, with a Lee hand primer tool.

The other day, it was decent (temp and sun) at the bench in front of my garage (not the reloading  bench, the sit in the warm sun bench) and I was waiting on the big dog to come back up from the woods/creek.  I sat on the bench and starting priming .40 S&W brass (already belled and just waiting on the primers to be ready to load) till I ran out of Federal SP primers (darn, reminds me I need to walk down to the shed and see if I've got some more in a box/shelf).  Then I switched over to Tula SP Primers to prime some 9MM brass that will be used for some 124 grain lead bullets I've got to try out.

Anyway, about 400 pieces of brass primed in a few minutes while not doing anything else.  To be charged with powder and a bullet seated/crimped at a later date.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 01:47:07 PM »
I do my priming in batches, with a Lee hand primer tool.

The other day, it was decent (temp and sun) at the bench in front of my garage (not the reloading  bench, the sit in the warm sun bench) and I was waiting on the big dog to come back up from the woods/creek.  I sat on the bench and starting priming .40 S&W brass (already belled and just waiting on the primers to be ready to load) till I ran out of Federal SP primers (darn, reminds me I need to walk down to the shed and see if I've got some more in a box/shelf).  Then I switched over to Tula SP Primers to prime some 9MM brass that will be used for some 124 grain lead bullets I've got to try out.

Anyway, about 400 pieces of brass primed in a few minutes while not doing anything else.  To be charged with powder and a bullet seated/crimped at a later date.

Do you feel like you can really seat the primers in good with the hand primer? That's my biggest worry with those, not have as much leverage to get the primers seated in there.
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 05:07:04 PM »
The only "dud" issue I've had since I started reloading was with the M&P pistols.  Everyone wanted to blame it on primers not being seated deeply enough, but those same rounds would go bang fine in other pistols.   It was eventually proven to be two issues at the same time.  A timing issue (striker block not being completely out of the way when the sear released the striker - resulted in a slight striker impact mark on the primer) and/or sear flutter (sear not catching the striker when the slide moved forwad - no striker impact mark at all on the primer).

I load .223, .308 and .30-06 - no issues, hunting rifles or military surplus/antique rifles.

I load .38 special, .357 magnum, 9MM, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, .44 magnum and .45 acp - no issues with the revolvers or the semi-auto pistols (other than those M&Ps and it wasn't the primers).

You can feel the primers bottom out.  I guess its' a learning thing, getting the effort and "feel" down.

I have two of the "new" Lee hand primers and both have issues with the primers hanging up/flipping over in the feed line from the tray to the ram.  One of them seems to be "wearing in" as it seldom hangs up anymore.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 09:26:42 AM »
I have 8 Star lube/sizers,

Fred...

I don't know if I ever told you this...

but...

you're my hero!

Offline CPTKILLER

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
I preferred a Lee Auto Hand Priming Tool albeit an earlier version.  It was fast and allowed better priming with my stuff.

https://leeprecision.com/new-auto-prime.html