Author Topic: Kadet for bullseye and effects of asthma medication?--Thanksgiving update  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Joe L

I have asthma problems in the Fall in the past but never as bad as this year.  I had to use Albuterol four times/day through a nebulizer, and that drove me crazy jittery, so I went to twice per day and just wheezed some between treatments.  But shooting the pistol was a challenge, to say the least.  I could not hold the gun steady.  So I went back to the doctor and ask him about alternate medications.  I told him my asthma was under control but my bullseye target scores were down an average of 5 points/target!  (Note that albuterol is tolerated by most people very well...unless they are bullseye shooters.  It's not like I can't write or pour a soft drink in to a glass, or drive, or anything like that.)

So he prescribed another asthma medication and told me to try it out.  First doses were Thursday, and today I went to the range at noon, about 5 hours after the morning treatment, just to see if I could hold the gun just a little steadier.  Here are the two best targets out of nine.  They were consecutive, I just misnumbered them. 

I think I can live with this medication at the bullseye range.  It has been a couple of tough months medically, for me.  But I have been able to make adjustments to get back to where I can shoot well again.

What I've learned is that there is always a reason when I don't shoot well.  It is rarely the gun.  It is usually something physical that the shooter is doing, like grip or medication side effects, in my case.   I've moved on from blaming the gun or the ammo, since I rarely make changes to either.   Bullseye is so challenging that the shooter has to be calm, rested, and otherwise at his best to get good results.  Wheezing, hip pain, back pain, work stress, etc. have all affected my results at 25 and 50 yards, standing, single hand.  Today, however, was a good day, a very good day at the range. 

I needed that.

Joe
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 06:58:30 PM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C, P-10F, P-10S, MTR

Offline Joe L

Re: Kadet for bullseye and detrimental affects of asthma medication?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:48:38 PM »
Update for Sunday.  Still had some problems today on the new medication.  I was shooting this morning about 3 hours after the medication.  I think I have to hold off until 5 hours to avoid any jitters.  I did have some good targets today, but not like last range trip as reported above.  More experience needed with the new medication.

Joe

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 05:04:11 AM »
Taking meds and shooting especially for competition is a bear.
I find I have to concentrate a whole more to be average.
"1776" - Part II

Offline WVNed

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:15:16 PM »
I use Spireva and Albuterol.
Breathing well is more important than shooting well.
WHAHOOOoooooooooo

Offline Joe L

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 06:50:14 AM »
I think I have a medication schedule that will work for shooting now.  Will see on Sunday morning at sunrise.  What I really need is a good freeze here locally or a trip to New Mexico where the allergens are already weak. 

And some good news locally.  Our club is going to go to a full 2700 point match schedule to attract more bullseye shooters.  We've been doing 1800 only and that is not much interest to "real" bullseye shooters that would have to drive to our matches.  The competition will be significant increased when we go to the longer match.  And I'll get to shoot the 97 every match instead of having to decide whether to shoot 9mm or .45. 

Come on, CZ, give me a 5" plastic gun with a slide cut for a red dot for my centerfire bullseye gun!!! 

Joe

Offline Joe L

Re: Kadet for bullseye and effects of asthma medication?--Thanksgiving update
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 07:12:25 PM »
So today, I survived 12 hours without the asthma medication, and we had a very light freeze on Saturday night, so I went to the range at sunrise at 32F, but calm conditions. 

Here is the best timed fire targets (25 yards, standing, single hand, 5 shots in 20 seconds twice per target) out of three, but no scores less than 95. 

Here is the best rapid fire targets (25 yards, standing, single hand, 5 shots in 10 seconds twice per target), with nothing less than 96:

And here is the best slow fire targets (50 yards standing single hand)

Cherry picking the scores for a simulated 600 match, I got a 570/600 with 18 x hits.  That is a good practice session for me.  A very good session.  I was not able to clean a target, but I had two 99's. 

I'm glad I kept practicing even when I couldn't hold the gun steady over the last few weeks.  Today, I felt like I could actually work on trigger control and see some results if I was making progress.  Little details.   Side effects of the asthma medication were costing me roughly 5 points per target, or about 30 points per 600 match.  More later this week. 

I am thankful for every round I've gotten to put downrange this year.

This is fun.  This isn't easy. 

Joe
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:14:47 PM by Joe L »

Offline K3JB

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 08:44:55 PM »
Hey Joe, Nice shooting,take care of yourself. I shoot my Kadet on a PO-1.I am a big .22 fan shooter. A friend brought over to my range today a
 S & W Victory 22,
I shot it and it really felt good. His is stock out of the box pistol, pretty darn nice. Try one if you get a chance.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline Joe L

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:49:01 PM »
Good idea to try the Victory.  I've got a 22/45 but 75B+ Kadet fits me better.  I've got a friend who is bringing his Model 41 to town next match.

Joe

Offline Joe L

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 02:09:01 PM »
Another good day at the bullseye range today with the Kadet.  Today, I think I shot my best long line 50 yard standing single hand .22 target.  Here it is, a 94-0x, after the warmup target, first one of the day, at 86-2x.  I shot two more slow fire targets after this scoring inbetween this one.  I couldn't get close to the 94 again, probably because I was a little bit excited, as in as excited as when I clean a target from 25 yards.  I've struggled at the long line for years with the .22, but done pretty well with the .45 at 50.  I'm not sure why, other than a little less weight and I'm never 100% sure where to hold with the .22 since the ambient temp seems to be a factor with the Norma Tac22 and Match ammo.  No "bad" slow fire targets today, and that is an excellent result for me. 

This is fun.  This is not easy. 

Joe

Offline K3JB

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 09:50:50 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving joe.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

anything