Author Topic: 9mm Revolvers and Ammo  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
9mm Revolvers and Ammo
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:06:39 AM »
I've recently started considering a 9mm revolver as a bridge between my love of the 9x19mm cartridge and revolvers. Just wondering if anybody has had any positive or negative experience in that area, with the guns or ammo ?

Are my SP-01 loads going to reach the same PF when used in a revolver ?

;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:08:46 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
Re: 9mm Revolvers and Ammo
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:58:25 AM »
I shoot USPSA with two guys shooting Smith 929's.  They haven't had any issues.  I shoot a 627 Pro with .38 Short Colt brass and use 9mm data.

As far as keeping the same PF, maybe but most likely not.  You will lose velocity with the barrel to cylinder gap, but may pick up velocity with a longer barrel (a 4" revolver has a longer barrel than a 4" pistol because revolvers don't include the chamber in the measurement).

I seem to remember a test done by Handloader magazine about 20 years ago on the topic.  IIRC, it was completely dependent on the load being used.  Some picked up more velocity, some lost velocity.

Clear as mud!   :o

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 02:05:09 PM »
May loose a little but it will be fun!
"1776" - Part II

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »
I don't have a 9mm Revolver,  but did some research.
The 929 was my pick because of barrel length and Miculeks demonstrations.  (500 yard first shot hit using Hornady +P ammo). :o ::). See U-Tube.  It's also pretty. :)
The inch or more additional Barrel length likely compensates for the gap jump.
A revolver A-class shooter I used to shoot with had no problems with his 929 and ran with the big dogs shooting Semi-Auto.

Offline robert1804

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
I have a 929 and a 986 but I don't shoot any competition. They both are excellent range and plinking guns. I like "gadgety" stuff sometimes and a 9mm revolver is all that. They are really best if you reload. You can shoot light 9mm loads that won't cycle an auto, load without much concern for OAL, and shoot most any 9mm bullet. A 9mm revolver is handy for using up ammo that doesn't do well in your autos. You might be surprised at how snappy lots of factory ammo is.

The main caveat in 9mm revolvers is adequate bullet tension. 9mm ammo can have bullet creep in a revolver. A heavier gun like a 929 or 986 is usually ok but bullet creep is a real problem in light weight revolvers, even with factory ammo.

I think the main advantage of a 929 or 986 is fast reloads in competition. They really don't do much that a good 38/357 revolver won't also do. The fun factor, though, is pretty high!

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 05:05:22 PM »
I think the main advantage of a 929 or 986 is fast reloads in competition. They really don't do much that a good 38/357 revolver won't also do. The fun factor, though, is pretty high!

So tell me about the moon clips. Do you consider it a PIA or what. Do you use a tool to load the clips or how does that work for a non-competitive shooter ?

;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 05:06:54 PM by Wobbly »

The Guardian

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »
I've recently started considering a 9mm revolver as a bridge between my love of the 9x19mm cartridge and revolvers. Just wondering if anybody has had any positive or negative experience in that area, with the guns or ammo ?

Are my SP-01 loads going to reach the same PF when used in a revolver ?

I had a S&W Model 547 9mm K-Frame revolver.....I wasn't a huge fan, the 9mm round made the recoil pretty "snappy".....wasn't what I would consider a "fun" shooter but was a novelty of sorts.  I did end up selling it off.  It had a 4" barrel (they can be found in 3" also), and six shot cylinder.....

Link to the a 3" version that HICKOK45 reviewed

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 05:39:49 PM »
My son told me about the 547. No moon clips, but no target sights either. And they now sell for as much as one of the brand new S&W 9mm's. Then there's the Ruger single action at about half the price of both those. But who wants to practice with single action ?

Offline eastman

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 07:34:55 PM »
... But who wants to practice with single action ?

anyone who grew up (or at least older) having watched "The Lone Ranger" on TV when they were a kid
I don't look like my avatar!

The Guardian

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 07:53:37 PM »
... But who wants to practice with single action ?

anyone who grew up (or at least older) having watched "The Lone Ranger" on TV when they were a kid

I'll chime in with.....the Spaghetti Western Genre al la Clint Eastwood  >:(

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 12:17:41 AM »
So tell me about the moon clips. Do you consider it a PIA or what. Do you use a tool to load the clips or how does that work for a non-competitive shooter ?

Nearly everyone at our club uses the B.M.T. Mooner tool, as shown here by the ever-so-awesome Julie Golob.

No, it isn't cheap, but it works and will keep you from bending your clips when loading and unloading them.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 01:18:59 AM »
.....and that's why the revolver competitors have a bucket full of loaded moon clips ready for the match.
Let's see,  If I take 200 rds to the match for my Shadow,  then the 929 shooters have (nought from nought is nought) 25 moon clips?? :o :o

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:21:39 AM by 1SOW »

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 06:16:26 AM »
I enjoy my SW 625.   It's a moon clip 45 ACP.   I have a 4 inch barrel.  PF is within a few percent of my DW Heritage.   I keep looking at 929s as a fun way to go.
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »
That's some neat info, guys !

Keep it coming.

Offline robert1804

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 08:19:22 PM »

;)

I like moon clips for regular range/plinking. If you're considering a S&W 929 or 986, moon clips are absolutely necessary for them to work. With a good tool like the BMT or TK Custom, the clips are easy to load and even easier to unload with a simple de-mooning tool. TK makes great clips but they're pricey. Ranch Products make good metal clips and are much cheaper.  If you use metal clips, some type of tool is necessary. i've not tried plastic clips.  Even though I don't compete, it's still fun to grab 7 or 8 rounds at once and shoot out some dots right quick. It's possible to load moon clips at the range, but I much prefer to load them beforehand. A good 9mm revolver isn't cheap and the loading tool and clips add to the cost. Have a close look at a 929. Prices for new ones aren't too bad and there's good aftermarket support for them.