Author Topic: CZ P-01 as your HD gun  (Read 4683 times)

Offline dshoub

CZ P-01 as your HD gun
« on: November 13, 2017, 05:17:10 PM »
Title says it all, what do you folks think about using the CZ P-01 as a home defense gun? Essentially filling the role of a "nightstand gun'.
Yay? Nay? Alternate recommendation? I'm curious what the CZ community thinks about it.

Offline bcj128

CZ P-01 as your HD gun
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:27:07 PM »
That?s the role mine is filling now with a TLR-1HL on it.  I carry almost exclusively striker fired weapons at work, so this works better for me as a home defense gun until such time as I can get practice time to transition to a double /single action system.

Great gun, just used to my striker fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: CZ P-01 as your HD gun
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 05:33:21 PM »
Mine is in the wicker basket right beside my recliner.  Seventeen rounds in it and two more 16 round magazines in the basket with it.

Mine is the Urban Gray model so it has a flashlight on the rail as well as night sights.

Bone stock.  It's not the most accurate CZ I own, but it's fine in the house.

My nightstand pistol in my 9MM P09 with a light, an RMR and 22 rounds in it with some more 21 round magazine beside it.

Nothing wrong with the P01.  Mine really feels good in my hand, too. 
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline john seeley

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 05:38:14 PM »
P-01 has the picatinny rail to mount a flashlight. There's more sights available for the P-01 because they're more standard than say the PCR which has snag free sights which are good for carrying. If you're not going to carry, the P-01 would work great.

The PCR has a loaded chamber indicator that you can feel in the dark.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:42:55 PM by john seeley »

Offline DWARREN

• Old & Tired
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 07:18:08 PM »
Sure, good gun.
"1776" - Part II

Offline christak

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 08:49:23 PM »
Absolutely! Personally, I'd add night sights and a weapon light. I have Meprolight sights on my P-01 now. Nice night sights...

Offline Montesf1030

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:25:32 PM »
That?s the role mine is filling now with a TLR-1HL on it.  I carry almost exclusively striker fired weapons at work, so this works better for me as a home defense gun until such time as I can get practice time to transition to a double /single action system.

I have the same set up !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline bcj128

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:26:40 PM »

I have the same set up !!!

Great minds think alike...

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 06:34:30 AM »
My usual nightstand gun is a P09 in .40 with a TLR-1 and +2 mags.  But, I've used my P01 as a nightstand gun and really can find nothing wrong with using it in that role.  If used as a nightstand gun, consider getting night sights for it as well as a light.  The night sights let you see exactly where the pistol is and how it's laying, so there's less chance of knocking it off and behind the nightstand in a sudden encounter.

Offline KME

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »
I bought my P-01 intending to make it my HD gun. Under 10 yards I am just as accurate with my P-01 as I am with my SP-01. Like the SP-01, the P-01 has a rail to accommodate a light or a laser. For me an ideal HD gun. But then I had the CGW Pro Package installed so I am using my stock Glock 43 as my HD gun until I get around to buying a Glock 30SF (.45 ACP). Undoubtedly unnecessarily worried about legal ramifications of using a modified weapon in a HD scenario, but I am concerned about it because I live in California.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:05:40 PM by KME »

Offline DJ45

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 10:57:08 PM »
I have a higher capacity P-09 with a few more mags, than I have for my P-01.  So the P-09 gets more bedside table time than my P-01.  BUT, my P-01 is my most carried gun so it gets a lot of use also.  I have them both set up the same way, with the thumb safety. 

I often have my P-01 sitting right next to my P-09 on the dresser next to the bed.  My wife likes to complain about the arsenal I have sitting on our dresser.  I always just smile and nod, as if that's a BAD thing?!

If I didn't have my P-09 my P-01 would probably pull a lot of double duty for carry and nightstand.  It's a great platform for both.

Here's a pic of my P-01 complete with my Olight PL-Mini Valkyrie along for the ride (the Valkyrie is an outstanding weapon light if you're looking to get one):

Offline Montesf1030

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »
I have a higher capacity P-09 with a few more mags, than I have for my P-01.  So the P-09 gets more bedside table time than my P-01.  BUT, my P-01 is my most carried gun so it gets a lot of use also.  I have them both set up the same way, with the thumb safety. 

I often have my P-01 sitting right next to my P-09 on the dresser next to the bed.  My wife likes to complain about the arsenal I have sitting on our dresser.  I always just smile and nod, as if that's a BAD thing?!

If I didn't have my P-09 my P-01 would probably pull a lot of double duty for carry and nightstand.  It's a great platform for both.

Here's a pic of my P-01 complete with my Olight PL-Mini Valkyrie along for the ride (the Valkyrie is an outstanding weapon light if you're looking to get one):

Bad to the bone !!! Congrats

Offline Genin

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 02:45:33 PM »
My P-01 is my carry gun.

My SP-01 is my HD gun with a streamlight TLR 1-HD

Offline steel

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 04:30:10 AM »
The P-01 will serve you well.  My Compact L (P-01 with a safety serves as my nightstand gun and my EDC during the winter miponths.