Author Topic: Sight install help!  (Read 298 times)

Offline Bones741

Sight install help!
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:58:07 PM »
Hey guys. Installing a set of cgw night sights on my p01. Drove my rear sight out left to right. Came out hard,but got it out. Now I tried installing the new rear and it's about halfway in and is too tight I,kind of stuck. I'm going to bring it to work tomorrow where I have better tools and a vice. I'm thinking I need to releive the dove tail a bit.its a Dawson rear,should I remove some from the bottom or the front edge? The directions say to file the width ,not the height. But I've always taken material off the bottom of dove tails to relieve them. Also what do you guys use to touch up marks on your sight? Cgw provided  a nylon tipped and a non nylon tipped punch,after the nylon stoped pushing he sight I tried two taps with the other punch and it marked up the sight a little.also the new sight does have a set screw,and yes i backed it out.Advice appreciated!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 09:00:41 PM by Bones741 »

Offline snakeye

Re: Sight install help!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
Usually you have to take some off the bottom of the sight a tad bit at a time until you feel you can tap the sight into place. Taking it off the bottom will open up the edge distances.

As far as touch up on the sight i use either a black permanent marker or a gun blue pen made for touch up

Offline Bones741

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:27:48 PM »
Thanks. That's usually what I do. The directions from Dawson's said take it off the width,so wasn't sure what method to use

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 05:57:17 AM »
I haven't replaced a P01 pistol rear sight, but I've done several full sized and compact CZ 75's.

I think the rear sight moves out right to left and back in from left to right.

If I'm wrong, somebody please speak up and keep us straight here.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Bones741

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:12:46 AM »
Gotten finished up at work this morning. Some filing required! But they fit good and tight,proper vice made the difference. I put sharpie on the spots I filed . Any exposed spots I'll try some blue pen using a toothpick I guess. Thanks guys!

Offline Morbid1X

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:02:52 PM »
Birchwood Casey pen will fix that right up

Offline ProtectTheSecond

• His 'n Her 9mm-TS
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:52:51 PM »
I haven't replaced a P01 pistol rear sight, but I've done several full sized and compact CZ 75's.

I think the rear sight moves out right to left and back in from left to right.

If I'm wrong, somebody please speak up and keep us straight here.
...and before one starts, one should look carefully at the lower front and rear edges of the sight dovetail for witness marks which telltale the direction of the sight install at the factory...

ie if you see a scuff mark on the lower front right/rear right dovetail of the sight...the sight was installed left to right and should be removed right to left

CZ 527 American .223 / His 'n Her (2) CZ 75 TS 9mm / His 'n Her (2) CZ 75 SA 9mm / Kadet Kit

"The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding."  - The United States Supreme Court -[/b

anything