Author Topic: Lower # Recoil spring on a P-09  (Read 3870 times)

Offline DOC 1500

Lower # Recoil spring on a P-09
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:10:29 PM »
Looking to the experts to educate me.
What are the advantages to a lower weight recoil spring in a P-09 ??
Have you done this and what are the results compared to factory?
I am also putting a Vortex Viper on the slide.
My pistol is for  self defense, I don't do any competition but may in the future.
I generally shoot for Target ,Factory loads 124 gr.
I carry Federal 147 HST.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:17:39 PM by DOC 1500 »
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline Winkel

Re: Lower # Recoil spring on a P-09
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:32:26 PM »
My P-09 functions great with the factory spring.  It would cycle weaker Perfecta ammo when my P-07 wouldn't. 
Others more knowledgeable than I should chime in soon but for my use, the stock spring has been fine for thousands of rounds.

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:35 PM »
My question wasn't whether the factory spring was any good , I just wondered if anybody went to a lighter spring and why.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:13:11 AM »
I have not.

I don't shoot any "target" ammo in mine so I'm afraid of damage, over time, to the slide/frame if I ran a reduced power recoil spring.

Lots of people do run reduced power recoil spring for target/completion shooting.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
As I understand it...if your second shot hits consistently lower than your first shot (with relatively low split times .20-.25 aka actually aiming) then you could try a lighter recoil spring.  Heavier spring will sling-shot the slide forward harder which causes the second shot to dip lower than needed. 

A lot of it depends on your grip and your load.  124gr target loads vs 147 HST defense loads would, I assume, recoil differently.  I went with the Cajun recoil rod and 15# recoil spring for my 132-135PF loads and it is perfectly reliable.  Cajun also has an 18# spring for that setup which I would guess goes better with the defense-type loads.

I'm not concerned with minor PF loads beating up the frame on a P-09.

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:04:20 AM »
15# spring: https://cajungunworks.com/product/15rs-recoil-spring-for-p-0709/   ($6)

18# spring: https://cajungunworks.com/product/18rs-recoil-spring-for-p-0709/  ($6)

Guide rod for P-09: https://cajungunworks.com/product/97060-fits-p-09/   ($25)

"TECH TIP:  There are 2 methods for selecting the correct recoil spring.  The most common method is based on the ejection distance of a fired case.  Ideally, the case should land 6-8 feet from you stance.  This  method allows your CZ to achieve the correct slide velocity that is critical for extraction, ejection, feeding, and slide lock.  The other method, for competition shooters, is how fast your sights re-align with the target."
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:06:47 AM by IronicTwitch »

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:32:46 PM »
15# spring: https://cajungunworks.com/product/15rs-recoil-spring-for-p-0709/   ($6)

18# spring: https://cajungunworks.com/product/18rs-recoil-spring-for-p-0709/  ($6)

Guide rod for P-09: https://cajungunworks.com/product/97060-fits-p-09/   ($25)

"TECH TIP:  There are 2 methods for selecting the correct recoil spring.  The most common method is based on the ejection distance of a fired case.  Ideally, the case should land 6-8 feet from you stance.  This  method allows your CZ to achieve the correct slide velocity that is critical for extraction, ejection, feeding, and slide lock.  The other method, for competition shooters, is how fast your sights re-align with the target."

mine easily eject 6 to 8 ft.
 so what I'm understanding is, special guide rods and lighter springs are mainly for competition shooting. But can be used in a self defense firearm. Thanks for the info guys.

Offline Rick53

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 03:48:38 PM »
Lighter recoil springs with lighten triggers and hammer springs makes the timing of the gun change. The only way to know for sure what benefits there are would be to learn the gun enough to ride the trigger reset. You may find a different spring works better for whatever ammo you use. Obviously there would be some benefit if lightened loads weren't cycling the gun or a Suppressor changed the gases some.

It's not an open the box answer . Ammo trigger reset etc are all variables that you have to learn yourself. Most people change guns so often they never truly learn the one they have . Same goes for learning a RDS. Really learning it.

Offline Earl Keese

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
What the others above said,  summary.
Reducing a recoil spring weight "speeds up the slide cycle speed.  This can improve ejections tha land short and speed up the reset and the second shot speed

Iif your are shooting weak/light load ammo,  a lighter recoil spring will improve the ejections and more reliably feed the next round.
If you are shooting hot/.strong load ammo, a lighter recoil spring can some battering of the slide and slide release. 
It will also toss the brass into the next time zone.

Ironic witch is right in the a lighter spring will give more felt recoil by speeding up the slide,  tending to string fast shots UP.  The stronger springs can reduce slide speed and felt recoil,  tending to string fast shots DOWN. The shooters grip also plays a part in these results

This seemingly small  one spring change can effect a lot of the pistols characteristics.  Some are useful.
Reloaders can make use of this by tailoring the ammo along with the spring for optimum effectiveness for " that" pistol for THAT shooter.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 11:06:26 PM »
My question wasn't whether the factory spring was any good , I just wondered if anybody went to a lighter spring and why.
No, I have not.  I don't recall anyone else mentioning it here on this forum either. 

Offline Rick53

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 10:31:11 AM »
No, I have not.  I don't recall anyone else mentioning it here on this forum either.
It's mentioned : If you lighten your hammer Spring I am pretty sure Cajun and CZ Both recommend lightening the recoil spring to keep the timing correct. I didn't look but I'm sure if you buy the competition Spring kit from Cajun the lighter hammer and recoil spring are sold as a set. I use the yellow recoil spring with no issues

Offline Raining_Brass

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »
It's mentioned : If you lighten your hammer Spring I am pretty sure Cajun and CZ Both recommend lightening the recoil spring to keep the timing correct. I didn't look but I'm sure if you buy the competition Spring kit from Cajun the lighter hammer and recoil spring are sold as a set. I use the yellow recoil spring with no issues
....yeah, no...
Recoil spring and main spring have nothing to do with each other as far as ?timing? is concerned...
They have no relation to each other as far as how the gun operates at all.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
I should have said, I don't recall it being much of an issue with folks and their P-09.  My P-07, yes.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 06:17:24 PM »
....yeah, no...
Recoil spring and main spring have nothing to do with each other as far as ?timing? is concerned...
They have no relation to each other as far as how the gun operates at all.
^^This^^

anything