Author Topic: New CZ Announcements Soon, What Are You Wanting?  (Read 11716 times)

Offline huskerlrrp

Re: New CZ Announcements Soon, What Are You Wanting?
« Reply #90 on: January 04, 2018, 07:21:02 PM »
Looks like it was light R&D spending in the Czech Republic during 2017 as I find little really new offered. Maybe 2019?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2018, 01:58:41 AM »
I confess I am seriously underwhelmed with red dots on carry pistols. Probably just because I am a fat old man, grew up with irons or glass being the only choices. It seems like the red dot would complicate carrying the pistol, (more things sticking out), and you have to worry if your dot is going to work at that crucial, OMG moment...but modern stuff is probably good enough even for an old curmudgeon like me.
I doubt CZ would give up on the steel guns - the 75B is still in production getting closer to 50 years long. :)
I can hope that some of the R&D money went to the new factory...and yes, I agree, I certainly hope quality is the same high level.

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2018, 08:39:43 AM »
I confess I am seriously underwhelmed with red dots on carry pistols. Probably just because I am a fat old man, grew up with irons or glass being the only choices. It seems like the red dot would complicate carrying the pistol, (more things sticking out), and you have to worry if your dot is going to work at that crucial, OMG moment...but modern stuff is probably good enough even for an old curmudgeon like me.

FWIW, I was slow on the uptake with RDS-equipped pistols... I shared some of your concerns plus I was hesitant to invest the money in something I wouldn't know worked until I'd made the leap ;-)

Things I've learned since making the leap:

01. Acquisition with the dot is both faster and easier than irons - up close and, especially at distance.
02. Tracking the dot during recoil can be a challenge but no more so than tracking irons IMO.
03. The RMR does add a tiny bit to the carry footprint but I have had no issues with concealment carrying appendix.
04. Reliability has been a non-issue with Trijicon RMRs. I change batteries well ahead of schedule and make no effort to turn the dots down or off.
05. Some batteries are better than others. I've had best luck with Duracells. Energizers sourced in bulk from Amazon were, uh, weak.
06. The RDS is an incredible training aid during dry fire. The dot is mercilessly unforgiving when you move the pistol during the trigger press ;-)
07. With time you learn to live with "dot wobble". This is related to #6 - you will see movement in the dot when holding on target that you probably didn't notice with irons.
08. Smaller dot sizes may not be ideal. You see more movement with them in my experience and they can be harder to pick up at speed.   
09. There absolutely is a learning curve. The red dot "is just there" when your presentation is right - it is less tolerant of a sloppy presentation.
10. Cost can be a concern, especially for the CZ fan. I chose to have my P-07s milled because I wanted the lowest profile with irons that cowitness. Not cheap.

YMMV, of course.

I still shoot regularly with irons-only pistols - just to stay proficient - but I could not see going back to that by choice. The way I summarize for folks who are curious is that an RDS doesn't really help you shoot better - it helps you see better - but that does enable you to focus more on shooting and less on seeing ;-) It may not hold true for everyone but my shooting has improved tremendously as a result.
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline Vinny

« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2018, 09:37:18 AM »
s0nspark,
Excellent recap of the pros/cons of red dots.
For me, it's all about seeing. My eyes are aging and my 'readers' are now up to 2.50.  In low light with irons I struggle to see both the target and the irons and found a compromise of 1.50 safety lenses allows me to see both, sort of. Thankfully, my distance vision is still OK.

My defensive shooting instructor turned me onto a red dot. Yes, he did caution me that there's a learning curve. I can now shoot with both eyes open (no more squinting), focusing on my target, I've developed the muscle memory to bring the dot quickly into the sight picture. With both eyes open I also have more situational awareness.  The results are significantly faster TIMES hitting a string of multiple targets. Once I got used to the red dot, it was like an epiphany. A red dot is such an advantage, especially for those of us with aging eyes.

I'm also trying to ramp up my iron sights to TFX.  Ideally, a combination of TFX irons and Red Dot like the new Sig 229 Legion RX. IMHO it's a state-of-the-art handgun. It's so new it's not even on their website yet, but probably Shot Show intro.

The only other alternative for guys like me may be learning how to point-and-shoot better without using any sights. A hit-or-miss proposition.

Doubtful that CZ will take the lead on any of these technological advancements; at least not until the USA factory is operational. Meanwhile..good thing for us there's CGW, CZCustom, Primary Machine, Springer, etc. to help us turn up the wick on our own.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:44:08 AM by Vinny »
"Fear is a reaction, Courage is a decision"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Vinny

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2018, 10:44:05 AM »
P.S. For anyone wanting to try a Red Dot/with Iron Co-Witness on their CZ...... pictured above is my SP-01 that I added a JPoint Red Dot with tall (.275) Dawson FO front co-witness that I did without milling for just over $300. I posted a detailed DIY with part #'s  in 'Club CZ 75's' on Dec. 31st. It sits nice and low directly atop the slide w/o an extra metal plate, the rear sight notch is built into the JPoint optic, and it can be added to any 75 Full or Compact series like PCR,P-01, or full-size 75's. It uses the rear dovetail, so if you don't like it you can easily remove and return your rear iron.  -Vinny
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 11:17:06 AM by Vinny »
"Carpe Diem"

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2018, 04:10:07 PM »
P.S. For anyone wanting to try a Red Dot/with Iron Co-Witness on their CZ...... pictured above is my SP-01 that I added a JPoint Red Dot with tall (.275) Dawson FO front co-witness that I did without milling for just over $300. I posted a detailed DIY with part #'s  in 'Club CZ 75's' on Dec. 31st.

Excellent tip, Vinny - that is a great way to dip the toes in the water! :-)
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline Vinny

« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »
BTW-  Here's an article from American Rifleman that really covers the topic of handgun RDS for anyone interested in learning more:  https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/11/20/optics-ready-handguns-and-mini-reflex-sight-round-up/ 
"Carpe Diem"

Offline captainspaulding

« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2018, 05:06:52 PM »
I want a Polymer rami!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2018, 05:12:53 PM »
I love my RDS on ARs. I have tried them on a few handguns, and just cannot get comfortable with them. Open iron sights it is for me.

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2018, 05:56:52 PM »
I want a Polymer rami!!

They already made one years ago and it didn?t do so well. Not sure of specifics, but sure someone else here knows.

Offline captainspaulding

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2018, 06:00:28 PM »
I want a Polymer rami!!

They already made one years ago and it didn?t do so well. Not sure of specifics, but sure someone else here knows.

Yes sir, I?m meaning I want an updated one that the Polymer isn?t prone to cracking/bulging.  I would even take a subcompact P10 or a subcompact p07/09

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »
You and I both on the subcompact P-07!

Offline Vinny

« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2018, 06:54:33 PM »
I love my RDS on ARs. I have tried them on a few handguns, and just cannot get comfortable with them. Open iron sights it is for me.

Everyone's different, and good that we have many options for upgraded sights. If CZ continues to shun offering an optic-ready pistol, there's plenty of aftermarket options available to us, albeit at extra cost.

A good read on Primary Machine's 'Knowledge Center' page cites a couple of reasons for RDS.
1. Aging eyesight.
2. Faster and more accurate competitive shooting.
An RDS also helps in poor light conditions. However, everyone agrees that there's a learning curve; and if your eyes are good for irons, why bother? I get that.

I wish I was 30 years younger when I had sharp eyesight.  ::) 

But admittedly, I'm still not ready to trust RDS on my carry or HD gun.  However, I can see what direction my eyes are going, so I want to practice with RDS to be ready to remain able to shoot quickly and accurately.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline sparks701

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2018, 09:59:29 PM »
I?m with a few others. I would love a p10sub. Size of my XDS but double stacked.
Doug

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2018, 10:58:24 PM »
  8) What?  Did you say that there will be a HUMUNGOUS release of compact stainless steel options for us regular folks?!!! 8)

anything