Author Topic: Help me identify this Tanfoglio please  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Buickgsman

Help me identify this Tanfoglio please
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:01:57 PM »
Good evening, this is my second post here and I have a question on a Tanfoglio I recently purchased.  Can you help me identify it?  I purchased it as a TA90, but quite honestly there are so many variations of this gun I have no idea what I have.  Could it be a TZ95?  The letters in the square are AT so 1988.  It doesn't have a model name or #.  It does have a firing pin safety.  Here are a few pics.  In this post I'm just looking for info on exact model, large or smaller frame?  There are a lot of different possibilities with this gun from what I've read.  Is it a series 88 and what makes a series 88?  Thanks!

Offline Evolve13

• BANNED
    • It Will Come Back Ten Fold
Re: Help me identify this Tanfoglio please
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 07:59:43 PM »
Could you make the pics larger please.
The best defense against evil men,
are good men who are skilled at violence.

Offline DF_Hammack

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 08:03:07 PM »
Unless I am mistaken (entirely possible) that is a Tanfoglio TA-90, as issued by the the IDF. This is probably a police gun, sold as surplus...
I think I saw a lot of them recently on The Mosin Crate
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:15:42 PM by DF_Hammack »
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American - Congressman Tenche Coxe, 1788

Offline Buickgsman

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »
Sorry about the huge pics.  I'll try and figure our my problem with that.  I am using Imgur for pic hosting.  Any idea if this is a large grip frame?  Is there a reference for the various Tanfoglio models pre- Witness?  Thanks!

Offline DF_Hammack

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:40:22 PM »
OK, I did some legwork for you. Here is the sale page for an identical pistol on Guns America. It has a very informative write up....
https://www.gunsamerica.com/976289744/CZ75-Clone-Tanfoglio-9mm-TA90-Israeli-Cohai-Combat-5-in-Satin-Nickel-Polymer-16-Round-1988-Production-Very-Good-Uses-CZ-Magazines.htm

You're Welcome
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:58:15 PM by DF_Hammack »
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American - Congressman Tenche Coxe, 1788

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 01:55:52 AM »
It's an early series 88 Tanfoglio TA90 that was kept/used in an Israeli Combat Shooting Club arsenal and may have been issued to Israeli Police.  The Pics of that Pistol shown show minor signs of Holster wear, so condition may be NRA Very Good or better.  The Grips however, do look quite worn from handling.

Cz75B and Tanfoglio/Witness small Frame 9mm Magazines should work well in it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 01:58:57 AM by jwc007 »
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline Flibuoy1

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 09:17:24 AM »
Sorry about the huge pics.  I'll try and figure our my problem with that.  I am using Imgur for pic hosting.  Any idea if this is a large grip frame?  Is there a reference for the various Tanfoglio models pre- Witness?  Thanks!

Try this: after pasting address as you did, edit address and add an m after address before the .jpg
Have you ever seen a statue honoring someone who left well enough alone?

Offline Buickgsman

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I wanted to make sure on the model and the grip size and this helps alot!  I will try to adjust my pics by altering the pic links.  Much appreciated! 

Offline win308

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 12:15:37 AM »
Small Frame........

Offline Marauderx

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 11:36:40 PM »
Um, what about the difference in the dust cover on the frame, and the matching profiling of the Slide? My blued one is like the mystery pistol. SN E082xx.

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
Um, what about the difference in the dust cover on the frame, and the matching profiling of the Slide?

The scalloping on the Frame dust cover indicates that this is an early Series 88 Transitional model and pre dates the second Pistol shown in this thread.
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

anything