Author Topic: Replacing firing pin assembyou..  (Read 2410 times)

Offline dannyvi

Replacing firing pin assembyou..
« on: November 23, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »
Is the original firing pin from CZ really that unreliable that 95% are replacing them with CGW or CZ Custom ones?. Anyone had failures ?

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:32:11 PM »
The retaining pin is the weak link when dry firing IMO. A couple have even reported a broken retaining pin without dry firing.

I don?t think I?d say 95%switch them out, just mainly the people that do a lot of dry firing and like to  tweak things, especially the HS. IIRC, any thing below a 15# is recommended to have the extended FP for 100% ignition. So may as well install the newer retaining pin. From some threads it sounds like many run completely stock with zero issues.

I like to tweak my CZ?s so the extended FP and FP retaining pin are also switched out. IMHO, as long as the retaining pin is holding up, you?re good to go.

This was what I took out of a used SP01 Tactical. Unknown round count, dry fires, etc. Glad I had the parts to switch it out.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:41:27 PM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline dannyvi

Re: Replacing firing pin assembyou..
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 12:43:14 PM »
Good advice. I practically never dry fire,but when I do, I cover the part that is hit by the hammer with a piece cloth or something so the pin is not subjected to undue stress. I already have CGWs kit but will put it after firing the original some more. Thanks.

Offline C. Andrew Dunning

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 06:14:50 AM »

The retaining pin is the weak link when dry firing...

Same observation, here...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Offline cyberfish2

• S.O.B.'s (Seniors on Bikes)VRSCSE V-Rod '05
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 09:05:46 AM »
The retaining pin is the weak link when dry firing IMO. A couple have even reported a broken retaining pin without dry firing.

I don?t think I?d say 95%switch them out, just mainly the people that do a lot of dry firing and like to  tweak things, especially the HS. IIRC, any thing below a 15# is recommended to have the extended FP for 100% ignition. So may as well install the newer retaining pin. From some threads it sounds like many run completely stock with zero issues.

I like to tweak my CZ?s so the extended FP and FP retaining pin are also switched out. IMHO, as long as the retaining pin is holding up, you?re good to go.

This was what I took out of a used SP01 Tactical. Unknown round count, dry fires, etc. Glad I had the parts to switch it out.
I was not aware of this issue with the CZ RAMI? Will installing the longer FP and retaining pin totally cure the problem?
CZ-83, CZ-75D PCR, finally, a CZ Rami 9mm
Sure, I'd like to be young again, if it didn't come with such a big dose of stupid.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 12:22:19 PM »
It seems to be a potential problem in any FPB CZ, that is dry fired a lot without snap caps or an O ring.

The CGW extended FP and RP do allow for dry firing. The extended FP is meant to be used with reduced power HS to avoid puncturing primers. For those that prefer heavier HS, CGW can shorten the FP.

Offline dannyvi

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:56:04 PM »
Like I did with all my former CZS,  just changed to the Ultra lite offering from CGW and light,13 lb, hammer spring!

Offline Jrent

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »
Gentlemen:  Help firing pin stuck in forward position. How do I disassemble or repair?  Just got the Rami last month and <400 rounds, all mild 115 gr rn

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 08:49:06 PM »
Often this is caused by a damaged pin that obstructs the FP movement,  OR the FP spring could be damaged and do the same.

Just some thoughts without experience.  Some others may have better solutions.
Can you remove the pin?   
If the pin is badly damaged it may not be straight or it may even be broken.  If this is the case  then it can be a real problem getting it out. If damaged,  hitting it with a punch could bend it even more
 :-\ 
  You could try pushing the firing pin forward with a small punch and see if it's all the way forward.  If it moves a little forward,  it might take some pressure off the pin. If you can push or pull the pin out a little,  you might be able to get a hold of it with needle nose pliers.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 10:16:50 PM »
Gentlemen:  Help firing pin stuck in forward position. How do I disassemble or repair?
     This explains removal.

Firing Pin Removal in a CZ.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=23595&share_tid=14696&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eczfirearms%2Eus%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D14696&share_type=t

Offline Jrent

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 12:10:58 PM »
Thanks for all your help.  I was able to partially drive the roll pin out of the slide with a small punch, then depressed the firing pin block plunger and the pin moved back. I'll get to the range today and see if this fixed the problem.  If so will order another / new roll pin.  When replacing the roll pin should the notch face down towards the frame or up towards the slide?

Offline Jrent

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
Guys  thanks for the pictures of the roll pin, just realized maybe the notch in the pic's is due to firing pin slamming into it and the roll pin is just that a roll pin. I looked at the Cajun Gun Works pictures of their Pro Package and the pin appears to be solid with no notch!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »
Thanks for all your help.  I was able to partially drive the roll pin out of the slide with a small punch, then depressed the firing pin block plunger and the pin moved back. I'll get to the range today and see if this fixed the problem.  If so will order another / new roll pin.  When replacing the roll pin should the notch face down towards the frame or up towards the slide?

If your firing pin already got stuck in the forward position I think it would be futile to go test it out. The firing pin retaining pin is likely toast. If things work today I wouldn't bank on them working much longer. Snag a CGW firing pin and firing pin retaining pin and you are in business. If you have the money snag a kit like this one:
https://cajungunworks.com/product/54493-rami-double-action-ultra-lite-kit/

That will reduce the pull weight of your double action as part of your solution. Just realize that the OEM Firing Pins will eventually beat up even the CGW firing pin retaining pin. If you are really strapped for cash and the FPRP from CGW will max out your budget at the moment (and don't be embarrassed if that is the case, we aren't all made of money) then just let me know. I can show you how to work the OEM Firing Pin so it doesn't eventually wear out the CGW FPRP.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
Guys  thanks for the pictures of the roll pin, just realized maybe the notch in the pic's is due to firing pin slamming into it and the roll pin is just that a roll pin. I looked at the Cajun Gun Works pictures of their Pro Package and the pin appears to be solid with no notch!

You are correct, the FPRP does not start out with that damage. It is caused by the impact from the FP. It's in large part due to the angle of the cut out in the FP having a little too much of a curvature.
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 10:37:09 PM »

You are correct, the FPRP does not start out with that damage. It is caused by the impact from the FP. It's in large part due to the angle of the cut out in the FP having a little too much of a curvature.
    And FYI, the OEM pin is actually 2 pins, one inside the other. So like Scarlet Pistol said, your OEM pin is toast. Give CGW a call, they?re good people.

anything