Author Topic: Ultimate Hunting Rifle  (Read 426 times)

Offline dross

Ultimate Hunting Rifle
« on: November 25, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »
Just won a Gunbroker auction for one of these after years of lusting. Anyone else have one? I'm going to buy a Vortex 4x16 PST to put on it. Can't wait to get it.

Offline FrankW

Re: Ultimate Hunting Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
Hi dross,

Lucky you!  What kind of hunting/shooting are you going to do?  That's a lot of scope for a hunting rifle unless you have a specific application. 

Frank

Offline dross

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »
I know this might sound like a crazy answer to some. I have lots of rifles. I just like owning great rifles. I may hunt with it, I might just enjoy shooting it and having it. What I like about it is its ability to shoot accurately at long range. I want to have a scope mounted on it that can take advantage of that, whether I actually use it for long range hunting or not. I won't call myself a "collector," because it's not about that for me. I'm more of an accumulator, if that makes sense. I have an extensive collection. I have something for almost every situation, including situations I'll never find myself in - like hunting in Africa. It's just how I enjoy my hobby.

Offline The Guardian

• Always watching...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 08:30:25 PM »
Had to look that up, wasn’t familiar with that designation.......then I realized why, not really a 300 WinMag follower, kinda like having a 10 gauge shotgun, it’s a potent round  ;D.  Nice rifle to be sure, I live out west and that caliber is popular for long distance shooting.....it will reach out and touch something a mile away......congrats, I do the same with my collection, prly will never need it, but why not just have it if I want it...nothing wrong with that  ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:35:34 PM by The Guardian »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)

Offline AZ_CZ

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 11:04:24 PM »
Congratulations on the rifle. I love the caliber been shooting it for 35+ years - before it was sniper sexy. My wife calls me an accumulator also, but when the tiger got loose in Atlanta and was roaming the neighborhood I sent her the story as proof that owning heavy caliber guns like 375 H&H or 458 Lott was just about being prepared.
CZ Fanbot since 1996

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 12:56:16 AM »
Very nice, sir, very nice indeed!

Offline OldManMontgomery

• Job Description: 'Etc'
    • The Alternate Reality
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
I had to look up the rifle.  Found it.  Looks good!  I have an appreciation for rifles of steel and good wood. 

I suggest you ARE a collector; of hunting rifles.  No doubt you have some knowledge of the rifle, cartridge and potential use of the rifle.  If you don't like the title, I won't push it, but it sounds like that is your field of study and knowledge.  But it does look good, and useful.
History is important.  Firearms ARE history.

Offline FieldGrade

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »
I had to look it up too but I'm glad I did because I didn't know they existed.

A classic rifle and a proven cartridge.

Enjoy
The place smells like whores and gun oil.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
There is always a tradeoff.  4x min will be a detriment for a close up running shot that may present itself, being potentially suffered field of view.  Also, will you have to worry about "scope eye" on the bench at 16x when eye relief is sacrificed at the higher power?

Regardless... Congratulations!!!