Author Topic: Bullet mold for 527 in 7.62  (Read 230 times)

Offline Jesster

Bullet mold for 527 in 7.62
« on: November 30, 2017, 05:09:03 PM »
Hello all!  I have been trying to find a good bullet mold to start off making some hunting rounds  for a new 527 in 7.62x39.  I have found some suggestions but unfortunately the molds listed were either part of a special group buy order or have changed catalog names at NOE.  Id love to hear what you guys are having good luck with!  Thanks!

Jess

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
Re: Bullet mold for 527 in 7.62
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 10:56:59 PM »
For a cast hunting rifle bullet, you want about a 65-70% meplat.  I'd recommend the NOE TLC313-150.  It was designed for the 7.62x39 specifically as a hunting bullet.

For Sale at:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=30_324

Hogs taken at the bottom of the first page with this bullet:

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,585.0.html

Load Data:

http://ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC313150RF/data/TLC313150RF_762x39_LoadNotes.pdf

Offline Jesster

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:07:57 PM »
Thanks so much for that info!!  That looks like a great bullet!!  Im new to gas checks, would i get a standard .30 gas check for this or do i buy custom checks for this?  I was looking at checks at NOE but i think the closest i saw was a .32

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 11:34:11 PM »
Im new to gas checks, would i get a standard .30 gas check for this or do i buy custom checks for this? 

I believe so.  Mr. A. casts for 7.62.  He'll have the correct answer.  I believe as long as the gas check shank diameter is ~.285" then it should be fine.

Offline Jesster

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »
Ok great, hopefully he chimes in, I will order that mold right away as soon as i know what checks to grab!  Looks like a winner! those were some nice hogs too!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 01:22:41 AM »
Herro. I have an NOE 129gr spire point mold that casts bullets so sharp they can prick your finger. No joke. Incredibly accurate and reliable in my rifle, powder coated or traditionally pan lubed. I have also used the Lee 160 and 155gr bullet, with the 155s coming out better by a hair, but neither are worth writing home about. The NOE bullet takes standard 30 caliber gas checks, which I put on during the second sizing, after powdercoating, no issues. I size down to .311, as the NOE mold drops at .314, and have had nothing but good luck. Actually, good luck is what got me that mold - a guy on another board was no longer casting in the caliber and sold it for less than half it's worth.
If you want to try the one jameslovesjammie suggested, hey, it's an NOE bullet and mold, can't go wrong, really. One thing you could do is go to castboolits.gunloads.com and see if anyone casts that exact slug, and ask if you can try a few out. A lot of these guys will happily send you a few to experiment with. I will say I recommend powder coating as it keep my barrel clean. ;)

Offline Jesster

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 01:39:37 PM »
Herro. I have an NOE 129gr spire point mold that casts bullets so sharp they can prick your finger. No joke. Incredibly accurate and reliable in my rifle, powder coated or traditionally pan lubed. I have also used the Lee 160 and 155gr bullet, with the 155s coming out better by a hair, but neither are worth writing home about. The NOE bullet takes standard 30 caliber gas checks, which I put on during the second sizing, after powdercoating, no issues. I size down to .311, as the NOE mold drops at .314, and have had nothing but good luck. Actually, good luck is what got me that mold - a guy on another board was no longer casting in the caliber and sold it for less than half it's worth.
If you want to try the one jameslovesjammie suggested, hey, it's an NOE bullet and mold, can't go wrong, really. One thing you could do is go to castboolits.gunloads.com and see if anyone casts that exact slug, and ask if you can try a few out. A lot of these guys will happily send you a few to experiment with. I will say I recommend powder coating as it keep my barrel clean. ;)

Thanks so much for the input! I have been hearing/reading a lot about the powder coating.  Im going to have to look into that!!  When i was reloading years ago i didnt see much about it.  Is it an expensive process?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 10:42:43 PM »
Actually, it's about the cheapest thing there is. :) Harbor Freight has powder coat, but the stuff from Smoke over at castboolits.gunloads.com is the best, which I think is $18 a pound? It takes a LOT of bullets to go through a pound of the stuff! Drop it into a plastic container like a whipped topping tub with som high density airsoft BBs to build up the static, (a lot of the little buggers), powder, and do what we call "shake and bake". Shake the container, lid ON, (don't ask me how I know), for a few minutes to build up the static electricity charge to hold the powder to the bullets. Using some cheap forceps, pull them out and set them on the non stick aluminum foil covering the tray of your Goodwill $5 toaster oven, set on Toast, and bake for about 20 minutes. Dump off, size/gas check, and get ready to rumble! You can do shake and back for probably much less than $50 to get started. If you want to spray the powder, that's more money, but the finish is much cleaner and nicer. Look at the Coatings and Alternatives subforum at CB, and you will see pictures of all kinds of wild color combos! Goofy, since we SHOOT them, but still fun, and cheap. Only thing cheaper/easier is Lee Liquid Alox, and that stuff is so dadgum sticky...

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »
Just a heads up, but if you are thinking NOE they are running a end of year sale.  Through the 12/8, if you use the code a641ebe4 you will get 20% off all in stock moulds.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 01:42:47 PM »
Always when I'm broke!  :o :'(

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 02:38:09 PM »
Always when I'm broke!  :o :'(

Me too!  At least you're in good company!

Offline Jesster

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 02:45:32 PM »
I just used the code to buy that mold!  Thanks so much!!

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
I just used the code to buy that mold!  Thanks so much!!

Glad you got it!

Of course we are going to expect an in depth review when you get some loads worked up!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 11:20:57 PM »
Pictures too, video if possible. ;)

Offline Jesster

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 07:35:30 PM »
Definitely will report in!  I actually just managed to trade into a 30/30 contender pistol as well.  Will this mold work with that if sized properly?  Looks to be close in size.

anything