Author Topic: Failure to feed  (Read 5854 times)

Offline Pyzon

Re: Failure to feed
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2018, 06:04:51 PM »
This thread has caused me to dig the RAMI out to see why I lost interest in it a couple of years ago. About the time I was becoming frustrated with feed issues, I acquired an all steel 75 compact and never looked back. If I remember correctly, my feeding issues were only with the 14 round mags, especially with my favorite 147g Gold Dot carry ammo. So, today I started the process to get to the bottom of the problem.  BUT...try as I might I could not find the 14 round mags, anywhere.Eventually I even looked in the actual plastic CZ box and noticed the two plastic mag spacers......Ahhhh, no wonder I have way more mags for the Compact than I recalled. Memory is a funny thing as the years creep up....Not.

So, the verdict is that heavier mag springs help, especially with a polished feed ramp.  I admit I never really liked the looks of the 14 rounders with spacers anyway, but heavier springs will not hurt anything.  Thanks for the reminder.

Offline MattyD380

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 12:42:57 AM »
Sorry to hear you're still having problems.

Yeah, I'd say that was the right move to send it in. It shouldn't be doing that. Sounds like it might be more going on that just a week spring or a rough ramp. It's weird that the rounds don't make out of the magazine. I've never seen that before.

As mentioned in another thread, my Rami has been very reliable. I had ONE failure to feed, in the very first magazine I put through the gun (last round in the mag). Nothing in about 500 rounds since then. Shooting slow. Fast. 115gr, 124gr, FMJ, JHP, 10-round mag, 14-round mag.... everything works just as it should (so far).

Good luck with yours. Hope you get it working.

Offline ldryder

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »
I thought that I'd solved the Failure to Feed issues with the addition of Wolff springs in the magazines but they still randomly occurred whether I was shooting Gold Dot 135gr, Hornady 124gr or American Eagle 124gr. 

Rather than get rid of a randomly-unreliable handgun or continue to screw around with trying to fix it myself, I submitted a Warranty Claim to CZ and had a Return Authorization and FedEx shipping label within 30 minutes.  I sent it off yesterday afternoon and it's being delivered in Kansas City today.

When I get it back, I'll let everyone know if the CZ technicians fixed the problem.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:27:54 AM by ldryder »

Online Vinny

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2018, 10:05:16 AM »
Please let us know. IF they fixed and what they did.

I noticed on my '17' 2017 model RAMI it came with a polished feed ramp.  My '15' model did not and I had to polish myself to improve feeding, especially HP bullets.

But, I suspect that's probably only one part of a permanent solution.

I just measured the OAL length of the Independence JHP bullets my RAMI has issues with and they're a full 1/6" shorter than the S&B 124 my RAMI likes best. Hmmm. I wonder if the shortness and nose shape of those JHP's just don't quite catch properly.

Not unusual for a semi-auto to not like certain ammo.  But no matter what; you must be able to depend on your pistol 100% after you sort things out.  Please do let us know.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:21:22 AM by Vinny »
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Ridesafe

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »
Can someone post a like on where to buy the Wolf springs?  Also, I've seen +5% and +10% springs...is the 5% enough and is the 10% too much?  Thanks!

Offline Husky629

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2018, 02:54:35 PM »
Right, wrong, or indifferent; I went big to make sure I had plenty of tension.  I bought the Wolff 74261 which is +10% for a full sized CZ75 magazine.  I assume it's around +15% in a compact 14 rd magazine. My RAMI now feeds 124 +P Gold Dots without issue.

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=items&cID=1&mID=16&dID=91

Offline Esquilax

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »
Why did you go with the full size instead of the compact springs below that? I sent an email to Wolff for clarification/recommendation. I'll let you know what they say

Mine's still in the shop.

Offline Husky629

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2018, 03:39:28 PM »
I had read some where that  someone else had used that part number.  I also worried that +5% might not be enough since my RAMI would choke on every round with HST's.  The compact +5% is the highest available.

Offline Husky629

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2018, 03:50:50 PM »

Offline frogwalking

• Retired Engineer, Viet. Vet., (one of the 4%)
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2018, 07:08:29 PM »
I have one of those ordered from that URL.  In the end, it did not help, although it was noticeably stronger.  I removed it and reinstalled the original spring to send it to CZ as they do not want to see mods.  My gun was occasionally ( 1 out of 20) slamming Federal HST (wide hollow points) into the bottom of the feed ramp.  Polish does not help when the bottom edge cuts into the bullet nose.  Clearing was east; just pull the slide back and release.  It may have something to do with the recoil spring.  They can sort it out.

Online Vinny

« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2018, 07:13:17 PM »
I have one of those ordered from that URL.  In the end, it did not help, although it was noticeably stronger.  I removed it and reinstalled the original spring to send it to CZ as they do not want to see mods.  My gun was occasionally ( 1 out of 20) slamming Federal HST (wide hollow points) into the bottom of the feed ramp.  Polish does not help when the bottom edge cuts into the bullet nose.  Clearing was east; just pull the slide back and release.  It may have something to do with the recoil spring.  They can sort it out.

Please let us know results and what they said was problem.
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Esquilax

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2018, 08:24:56 PM »
Update. They had it for 4.5 weeks. They gave an update every Friday that it was still being worked on, though automated. They ended up sending me a brand new RAMI, so I got a free 10 round magazine out of the deal. Presumably that was because of the frame, though they didn't say. I don't know if the magazines will work with my secondary problem, failure to feed with HP. I guess I will shoot it and contact again if that doesn't work.

Offline frogwalking

• Retired Engineer, Viet. Vet., (one of the 4%)
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
I got my gun back from CZ and mods to the feed ramp were extensive.  They steepened the slope at the bottom of the feed ramp where the hollow points were sticking.  Their letter said they also adjusted the slide stop and several other things.  It failed to feed with the 14 round mag and a Winchester fmj on the 4th shot.  I have since written them twice from their web site, but have received no answer.  After the ftf, I proceeded to fire 125 rounds including 75 hollow points with no problems.  This apparently random, intermittent ftf makes little sense.  Could I be not holding the gun tight enough, especially with the 14 round mag?  Their mod to the slide stop made me think the slide may not have gone fully back.  This could be caused by not holding the gun firmly enough.  I will concentrate on holding tight and see what happens.  I am going to have to fire a number of expensive hollow points to prove the theory.  (I have not had an issue with this before, and shoot an aluminum frame commander size 1911 .45 often.)

Online Vinny

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2018, 08:51:06 PM »
Just one more suggestion. 

I got a really good deal on new brass S&B JHP's from SGAmmo.com  Like 22 cents/rnd.  They're really surprisingly good and I recently posted a comment about them on the CZ 'Ammo' forum section. Others posted some comments that indicated their 'expansion' characteristics are decent for SD.

These are cheap enough to shoot a bunch through your RAMI and feel certain it's working right. The shape of the hollow-point bullet nose is not radical or sharp edged or 'die-cut' and they've fed 100% through all my CZ's including my RAMI without a single FTF.  Makes sense I suppose because S&B is a Czech company; and most of the test-firing proof sheets included with new CZ's use S&B ammo. 

I feel your frustration. Just trying to help.  -Vinny
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Esquilax

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »
frogwalking: calling seems more successful than filling out their web forms it seems.

Vinny: thanks for the ammo idea. I like S&B and Prvi for cheapish but high quality ammo.