Author Topic: Pin hole looks enlarged.  (Read 1050 times)

BRASMAN

Pin hole looks enlarged.
« on: August 19, 2006, 09:00:41 PM »
I took my 22/45 to a local gun smith to have him reassemble my 22/45 (long story) and Friday I took it out to shoot it and a pin had worked its way out of the hole and made the pistol malfunction. After field stripping it and looking at it the hole appears to have been hogged out and has plastic curls like it was reamed bigger and there is slop in the hole on that side of the frame. I did not do anything to open the hole up so could this be factory or did the smith screw my frame up. If it is screwed up is there a fix? I did not keep my receipt like I should have (Dumb). Here are some pics to help explain what I am talking about. The pin just walks out of the hole while shooting.

Offline NORMSUTTON

Pin hole looks enlarged.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:06:53 AM »
BRASMAN

I'd call RUGER  explaine the problem and send it back to them  

I had a problem with a celender pin on a 45 long colt RUGER  after about 6 months of shooting it it started to slide out  after fireing it  I called them  they said seen it back and they fix it at no charge  this was about 20 years ago but i don't think RUGER change that much they still make some of the finest guns in the world

NORM
LIFE MEMEMBER SINCE 1976

NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
http://olderthendirt.proboards84.com/index.cgi
http://p64.proboards67.com/ Global Mod & Resident Smith

Walt-Sherrill

Pin hole looks enlarged.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 04:45:03 AM »
Unless you had DETAIL STRIPPED the gun, the smith in unlikely to have even messed with the pins in the frame... as that's not necessary in reassembly.  

How far was it disassembled?

If you had detail stripped it, hard telling what happened, and what he might have done.  

(How well-regarded is this gunsmith in your community?)

You may have to send it back to Ruger and let them worry about it.   They're pretty good about solving problems, even when its not their fault.

BRASMAN

Pin hole looks enlarged.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 09:06:40 PM »
Walt every pin and spring was taken apart. The store I took it to does not have a bad name that I know of but I am calling them on manday to find out if the reamed it. The hole is oblonged and large for the pin and I know I did not do that. In fact I took it to the smith because I wanted to avoid this. I guess I should have just mailed it to Ruger from the get go. Every time but once that I have taken a firearm to a smith which is not a lot but about 4 times. Three of those times they did hack jobs. I wish the one smith was still in buisness but I think he retiered.

BRASMAN

Pin hole looks enlarged.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 01:18:59 AM »
I found out clark customs has an over sized bushing kit so I am getting it.

anything