Author Topic: Thinking of adjusting my trigger?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline randyflycaster

Thinking of adjusting my trigger?
« on: December 01, 2017, 07:22:33 PM »
I have a CZ 85b. I feel that it takes a lot of trigger pressure to break the shot. Because I use this gun only for target shooting, I'm wondering if I should adjust the trigger. I heard that target shooters like to break the shot with about 2.5 lbs of pressure. Any thoughts about whether I should adjust the trigger, and if so, can my local gunsmith do the job for me?

Thanks,

Randy

Offline 2morechains

Re: Thinking of adjusting my trigger?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 07:24:53 PM »
Have you tried a lighter weight main (hammer) spring to lower your trigger pull weight?  I went as low as an 11 lb mainspring and still had reliable primer hits using CCI and S&B primers but I also had an extended firing pin installed.  If you go to an 8.,5 lb hammer spring you may need Federal primers. 

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »
^^ Agreed i would start with a hammer spring weight reduction. Any gunsmthing who knows his way around a CZ pistol should be able to do it for you but you may want to explore doing it your self, it is a rather straight forward operation to swap a hammer spring.

Cajun Gun Works and CZ Custom Shop both offer different weight hammer springs for CZ pistols. Generally 15# is the low limit with out changing other parts while maintaining consistent primer ignition. But as 2morechains stated above there can be some leeway depending on what primmer you are running.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:52:21 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 08:11:03 PM »
What the others said:
You don't need a gunsmith to lower the trigger pull significantly.
A lighter hammer spring. (13# or 15# buy Both so you can choose the pull weight that works best for you) and an extended firing pin and lighter FP spring .  This is all you need for your stated wants. 
These are easy to change,   even at the range where you're testing the results.  Just Remove and replace with simple to do procedures.  Maybe  15 minutes the first time and faster the following times.  Trust me 'cuz you read it on the internet. O0 :)
There are videos here that include how-to for these two items.

There are other changes that "smooth" and  "shorten" the pull to the break and the trigger travel distance to the reset.  These require a little more detail work.  To eliminate the hammer camming back and make the break cleaner, a new hammer is needed. Either installing the CGW adjustable sear or fitting the new hammer to the safety is required.   These last improve the hammer pull,  but are not needed to "lighten" the pull force.  Read about these changes done by many members here doing a search.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:10:00 AM by 1SOW »

Offline randyflycaster

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »
Folks,

Thanks so much. I'm not sure what primers my ammo has. I buy the ammo from a small outfit in Idaho.

I just watched a video about changing hammer springs. It seems that by changing the hammer spring, fp spring and firing pin I can lower the trigger pressure - if that is the right word - from 5 lbs to 4 lbs. Is one lb really a significant change for target shooting?

Randy
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:03:29 AM by randyflycaster »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 10:08:14 AM »
If you're mechanically inclined you can disassemble and polish parts yourself.  There are youtube videos to watch and lots of threads, posts, pictures on the forum here to use for information/reference.

When it comes to changing springs it seems most people don't feel a spring change really helps on SA trigger pull, but changing other springs in conjunction with the hammer spring can help lower the double action trigger pull (polishing will make is smoother which helps it feel lighter).

Replacing the factory hammer and sear with a Cajun Gun Works race hammer and adjustable sear can really help the SA trigger pull. 

Pictures of the pistol, please.  We like pictures.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?