Author Topic: Newbie to Rami  (Read 8891 times)

Offline 007_Bond

Newbie to Rami
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
Hey guys. I?m a newbie to the Rami but got to handle one at my LGS recently. I love it profile and grip with the extended magazine, and prefer the trigger feels compared to the 75 Compacts (P-01, PCR).

My main question before I buy is, are all the kinks worked out of this firearm since it is a new design (to my knowledge)?

Should I wait before I buy ?

wags68

Re: Newbie to Rami
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »
I have a RAMI I bought last year and I have probably 500 rounds or so through it with no issues at all. The RAMI shoots very well and is enjoyable at the range. Hope this helps.

Offline Firemanjones

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:03:42 PM »
There were never really any kinks in the RAMI except for the bulging in the polymer RAMI which is not produced any more.
Safety First
Living the dream, driving a Fire Engine RETIRED shooting my Guns in FL and the Mountains of NC and visiting family in Mannheim.

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:35:45 PM »
The Rami?s been out for quite some time now. Far from being a new design
   You?re good to go with a rami.

Curious about the trigger feel though. The BD version is exactly the same trigger and internals, etc as the P01/PCR
   But of course each pistol has its own unique tolerances.

Was the one at your LGS a safety or decocker?

Good luck in the search, love my Rami BD.

If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:14:04 AM »
Thanks for the advice y?all.

I?m a little confused though... this top portion of this whole section is filled ?problem threads?...

Failure to feed, misalignment, etc.

I have held and dry fired the Rami and liked it, but then coming to this section of the CZ forum makes me feel like everything is not wrinkled out yet.

Offline Ruber

Newbie to Rami
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:46:49 AM »
There is a certain level of finish and qc on the base CZ?s that allows them to have a competitive price point.  Many come out great, some, not so much. With a solid grip and good quality commercial ammo, those guns can still wear in very nicely. 

That can be costly, so to accelerate the break in process, many folks either do some polishing themselves, put in different springs/mag springs, or send it off to CZ USA for service.

Customer service does a great job at cleaning/polishing the action and gets it running reliably.

There are several threads on this and what CZ USA or CGW do to get them reliable in short order.  The same issues show up in the full sized CZ?s, and there is a great stivky in the SP01 section on break in issues, they are just exacerbated in a sub compact. I have asked that they be made into a sticky so folks don?t keep spinning their wheels.

For most folks, out of the box, they run really well.  When they don?t, the fixes are typically well known and easy.

My 2004 RAMI was my first CZ pistol, and it sold me on CZ performance and durability.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:58:11 PM by Ruber »

Offline SteveR2013

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 11:15:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice y?all.

I?m a little confused though... this top portion of this whole section is filled ?problem threads?...

Failure to feed, misalignment, etc.

I have held and dry fired the Rami and liked it, but then coming to this section of the CZ forum makes me feel like everything is not wrinkled out yet.
I have a RAMI BD which has been flawless from the get go. It has handled any ammo I have thrown at it, including (shudder) Russian steel cased.
Always remember that the folks with problems tend to post to the forum to ask for help and advice. Those of us (the silent majority) tend not to post. Be assured that the RAMI is a proven design, and CZ does have excellent support for those in need.

Offline cntrydawwwg

Newbie to Rami
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 08:54:29 AM »
If a person only bought a firearm that had Zero negative reviews, they?d never by a firearm.

Every pistol is going to have someone unhappy with it. The slightest hint of an issue will get posted, whereas if everyone that loved the pistol posted, they?d never get any shooting done.
    Yes, there has been a few issues. If you go thru the threads, a lot of the issues (for any CZ in fact) boil down to the OP not fully cleaning and then relubing the firearm. They take it out of the box and start shooting and have issues.

A lot of times those issues are fixed simply by cleaning the factory gunk, and lubing up the pistol

That?s why that?s usually the first thing anyone asks when trying to help.  JMHO
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:57:03 AM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline C. Andrew Dunning

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »
Back to the O.P...

I've now owned a RAMI for almost 7 months and have put around 3000 rounds through it.  While I really like it and would probably buy it again, there ARE a few things I've learned:

1)  Do NOT dry-fire w/o an O-ring in the firing-pin recess.  Not doing that will cause the firing pin to chew through the firing pin retaining pin.  While I can't speak to using snap-caps addressing the issue, yet, I DO know that laser trainers don't help.

2)  As an extension of #1, have replacement firing-pin retaining pins on-hand.  Not expensive and not difficult to replace.

3)  Have recoil spring assemblies on-hand - especially, if you shoot w. any regularity.  Not at all expensive.

4)  Be prepared for the possibility of having to have someone do some feed-ramp polishing to cored feed issues.  While not everyone has had problems along these lines, enough have that that should at least be on your radar.

5)  While I can't report any problems w. 14-round magazines (I don't use mine, at-all), enough people have that I'd either not use them or would replace springs.

6)  Replacing the front sight w. a Dawson fiber-optic sight has made a huge difference in the RAMI shooting experience (as compared to the stock white-dot).

7)  Others' mileage may vary but I've had the best luck (accuracy and dependability) with Sellier&Bellot 124g FMJ (for target) and Federal HST 124g (for defense) ammo.

8)  In addition to this forum, there are several Facebook groups dedicated to CZs and one to the RAMI.  So...lots of "user" help available.

About it for now.  I hope this helps...

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
Thanks so much for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

I understand about getting the gunk out and cleaning and lubing. And I also understand we usually post about problems or mods on forums not just the ?good performance stuff?.

I loved the way the RAMI felt in my hand with the extended magazine with grip. And the trigger felt amazing.

In the same day I directly compared the P-01 Omega and the 75D PCR. Both of those felt great in my hand as well, but I?m gonna he really honest here ... I hated the Omega trigger. DA was long, heavy, not smooth and the reset was long and the SA take up was long and stagey. The PCR was better in it reset length than this by a good amount but the take up for SA was still so not great and I still wasn?t comfortable with the DA.

The RAMI was a completely different experience for me. I could?ve easily walked away with that gun. Trigger is amazing, reset isn?t that long and no to very little take up on the reset and take up and wall was very clear and defined. Barrel is a little short for my liking but could definitely live with it. But then I came on here and saw a lot of issues and it scared me off. The normal size compact 75?s seem to have fewer reported issues.

This may gather some hate but honestly, I like the trigger on the Glock 19 much better than any of the compact 75?s.  And yes the P-10C trigger was even better than Glock (but I want time proven reliability with whatever I buy... which for me and what I?ve narrowed down my choices/preferences to leads to Glock 19 or CZ 75 compact of whatever sort).

I really wanna get the RAMI but issues here have me concerned and what you described above about having all those replacement parts on hand and being able to change them out... that?s honestly  something I don?t wanna have to deal with concerning a new gun. Really I?m ok with the recoil spring replacement and using O-rings or snap caps for dry firing, the firing in stuff would be unknown territory do me.
I also would really wanna use the 14 mags all the time as it helps get my pinky on the grip. Now for conceal carry I get it, ?might as well get the PCR then if I?m gonna use the grip extension all the time?. Yah of course but I couldn?t get comfortable with it?s trigger. RAMI trigger... immediately I was great with it. Sure maybe they should be that different, I honestly don?t really know - but somehow they were for me in my LGS.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:55:39 PM by 007_Bond »

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »
I also would really wanna use the 14 mags all the time as it helps get my pinky on the grip....

I had the same concern - until I found pinky extensions that fit the RAMI 10-round magazines.  You can find them on ebay.  There are also several threads, here and on Facebook, talking about hoe to modify Pearces to fit.  For me, a person w. larger hands, these extensions make all the difference in the world...

Offline PJCZ

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »
Subscribed. RAMI tops my list for next purchase. If performance, quality, fit and finish resembles that of it?s full size family, it will be money well spent.

Offline Ruber

Newbie to Rami
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 08:27:55 PM »
A lot of people on here are tinkerers and can?t leave well enough alone, me included.

When RAMIs run, they run well, and they usually do out of the box.  But if not, CZ USA is great at getting them to run well.

You don?t need extra parts.  If it isn?t perfect out of the box, and you don?t want to work on it (many of is do), CS will get you going.

Get a recoil spring set and replace when needed.  They don?t wear out all at once, you get clues (brass flys further, etc.).  I use the o-ring for dry fire practice, but also always drop the hammer on an empty chamber at the end of a range session and have had no problems with firing pin or retaining pin.

The rest is personal preference.

I like the factory sights and extended magazine for fun but practice with and carry the factory short mag and base plate.  No problems with extended mags as long as the rest of the gun is all in balance.

The RAMI is inherently different than the 75 series, it is based off the 40B, built for the 40S&W.  To me, it is more comfortable to shoot in 40 than my 75B in 40.  If it fits you, and your smitten by it, there is really little out there like it, run with it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:41:24 PM by Ruber »

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 07:24:06 AM »
Thanks guys for all the help. RAMI might be my next but still. I wanted to get a compact first before a subcompact so I just picked one of those up.

Does the recoil spring really need to be changed every 3000 rounds? I haven?t heard of another gun needing this so soon.

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 07:37:41 AM »
Does the recoil spring really need to be changed every 3000 rounds? I haven?t heard of another gun needing this so soon.

This seemed really odd to me, as-well, but recent experience has confirmed that.  See http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=93582.0.