Author Topic: Training tools  (Read 3037 times)

Offline QuarterHorse

Training tools
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:25:58 PM »
What are you guys using for dry fire training? Just dry fire on DA or are you using a self resetting style trigger? Are you using a laser style ammo in conjunction with something like the L.A.S.R. setup?  Just curious what you all do

Offline cntrydawwwg

Re: Training tools
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:45:28 PM »
Just normal dry firing DA/SA, using an O-ring.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 12:25:02 AM »
#83 O-Ring to dry fire for me. A pack of 10 is only a few bucks at a big box store in plumbing.

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 03:54:14 AM »
What is this ?o ring? method you speak of?

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 09:29:27 AM »
You place the o-ring into the pocket where the firing pin and hammer meet. When the hammer comes up it hits the o-ring instead of the firing pin.

Offline Rick53

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »
You place the o-ring into the pocket where the firing pin and hammer meet. When the hammer comes up it hits the o-ring instead of the firing pin.
I've had my oldest P-09 3 years. I've probably dry fire it 10,000 times and live fired it over twice that.  I never heard of O-rings for dry firing . Apparently neither has my FP because she still works just fine. The only guns I know of that dry fire requires snap caps is the old style SA  1873 Model P cowboy guns. Even those the hammer strut is a pretty easy replacement at minimal cost. Maybe it's the era I grew up in. Cause I never heard of what you guys are speaking of in this thread. 

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:10 PM »
Yeah,I?ve not heard of any modern guns having issues. With dry firing. Of course snap caps probably help and I have a few but I only use them for the mag to make practice reloads more realistic.

I was hoping this o-ring thing would help with the transition from DA to SA trigger pull for dry fire.

Anybody got tips for that?

Offline Rcher

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 05:30:40 PM »
I'm using Tipton Snap Caps. They're pretty expensive, but you can find 5 caps for $11 sometime on sale. They are of good quality and will last long time. Pretty cool, that they have spring which protects your firing pin.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Tipton-303958-Gun-Supplies-9-mm-Luger-Red-Omniplast-Snap-Caps/530092060?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170706093515%26meid%3Df286dba0c8284fa89a27759a4de0e6da%26pid%3D100831%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26&_trksid=p2349526.c100831.m5025&iid=171150063436

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 12:19:06 AM »
I've had my oldest P-09 3 years. I've probably dry fire it 10,000 times and live fired it over twice that.  I never heard of O-rings for dry firing . Apparently neither has my FP because she still works just fine. The only guns I know of that dry fire requires snap caps is the old style SA  1873 Model P cowboy guns. Even those the hammer strut is a pretty easy replacement at minimal cost. Maybe it's the era I grew up in. Cause I never heard of what you guys are speaking of in this thread.

I can't speak for the P09,  but the Safety model CZs equipped with the Firing Pin Safety needs protection when dry firing.  The firing pin safety is a "pin" that rides in a slot in the firing pin.  When the firing pin is struck by the hammer,  with no cartridge in the chamber,  the firing pin slot "HITS" that safety pin.  Do this over and over again and the pin can be bent or start to come apart.  That can make it very difficult to remove and replace.  The O-Ring or snap Cap prevents the firing pin from hitting the safety pin.

Hope this makes sense.

The Shadow and other competition CZs don't come with a firing pin safety.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:21:22 AM by 1SOW »

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 09:47:14 AM »
Ah, that makes sense to use the O-ring or snap caps then.

Offline RocketRyan

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 10:58:06 AM »
Yeah I should have stated that I have an SP-01 safety model. I do have the CGW firing pin retaining pin in, but I still like to protect it with an o-ring.

Offline benq

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 11:31:03 AM »

Earlier this year, I picked up one of those laser training cartridges and using it with "Shootoff" training software. I've been training with it during dry fire almost exclusively and it has been a real eye opener. I thought my DA pull was nice and steady. The laser doesn't lie!!!  It has helped significantly improve my game and help save money on live ammo. I went from Sharpshooter to Expert this year.  In fact, I've come close or beaten Rob Leatham on a few IDPA stages. I have proof.  ;D ;D ;D

So I highly encourage someone looking to improve their gun skills to pick up a laser trainer AND train with it.

Good Luck

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »

Earlier this year, I picked up one of those laser training cartridges and using it with "Shootoff" training software. I've been training with it during dry fire almost exclusively and it has been a real eye opener. I thought my DA pull was nice and steady. The laser doesn't lie!!!  It has helped significantly improve my game and help save money on live ammo. I went from Sharpshooter to Expert this year.  In fact, I've come close or beaten Rob Leatham on a few IDPA stages. I have proof.  ;D ;D ;D

So I highly encourage someone looking to improve their gun skills to pick up a laser trainer AND train with it.

Good Luck

What model firearm are you using and does your laser/training system provide blowback?

Offline benq

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »

Good Luck

What model firearm are you using and does your laser/training system provide blowback?

I'm using it in all my CZs : P07, P09, SP01 and RAMI. The laser is a Laseryte 9mm cartridge.  It was an openbox on Amazon.com for $69. It has no blowback system.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »
Thanks. I?d agree that is a great tool for draw/first shot but it Seems like that could build bad habits because you can?t transition to SA as you would.

Another question, how long does the laser stay on? I ask because I have the laser trainer that goes in the barrel and activates by sound. It stays on less than a second but long enough that a ?sweep? of the target while it goes off will still provide a hit.

anything