Author Topic: S&B Cases. WOW  (Read 1162 times)

Offline nicky

S&B Cases. WOW
« on: December 08, 2017, 08:08:56 PM »
I have read many times that S&B cases where difficult to seat primers in. But since it seems that most of you load 9mm with them I thought that using the 45 cases may be different. Boy was I wrong.

Couldn't believe how much pressure it took to seat a primer below flush. I was afraid that I might crack the primer sled again on my 550.

Using Federal primers I had about 3 primers out of a 100 that were just mangled. I think I was lucky.

I have some S&B primers that will try and see if they fit any better.

My guess is that these cases where once fired since it seems that the range I go to sells them most of the time. So I am also going to reload my spent cases again to see if the primer pocket opens up enough so the primers are easier to seat.

Am I wasting my time with them? Probably. But there is nothing like seeing for yourself.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: S&B Cases. WOW
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 09:15:42 PM »
Might try something like the RCBS primer pocket swager.  You only have to run the it into the primer pocket once, after that it's good to go.

http://rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparation/Accessories/Primer-Pocket-Swager-Combo-2.aspx
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 09:30:10 PM »
I load a lot of S&B cases in .38 Special and .45 acp.  We have a Cabela's about 70 miles east of us, and it seems a lot of people by ammo when they shop there, since none of the local stores carry S&B.

It's usually the sharp edge on the primer pocket that gives people heartache when priming S&B cases on a press.  I use the RCBS a Lyman Ram Prime units and this eliminates the problem.  The key is to go gently when the primer is first entering the pocket, and then finish seating with normal force.  I'm one of those people who happens to like snug primer pockets.

If you have a bunch of them, do as M1A4ME says and swage them.  You can also lightly remove the sharp edge of the pocket with a chamfer tool.  Neither is necessary with the Ram Prime, though.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline snakeye

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 12:26:01 AM »
I agree with ReloaderFred although I use a Lee ram prime to prime my 9mm and 40SW brass and have never had an issue using Win, CCI, Tula or S&B primers on S&B cases

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:47:45 AM »
I have just enough S&B's in my collection to make me say "what was that ?" when I find one during a load session. I see people on other web sites complain, and say they cull them out. I don't see the purpose myself. It's good brass, so use 'em.
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 08:53:41 PM »
I sort by head-stamp and S&B is one of my favorites. Priming on HDY LnL progressive with positive feel for primer going in. Primer pocket staying tight longer than some other brass. No second question by feel if you miss the primer or not. Some other brass as gets looser don't offer that positive feedback.
On 9mm S&B brass had to hit them once with reamer to clean the sealant on the first use. 45ACP were not sealed and worked great from the start.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:55:59 PM by Boris_LA »

Offline crankyoldlady

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »
S&B cases are not worth the hassle to me.  I toss them.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 01:13:03 AM »
S&B are wonderful cases to trade in to the recyclers.

Offline painter

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
I don't see many at my club. I just run them with the mixed brass through my rockchucker and don't worry.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Wobbly

• Administrator
  • Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »
S&B cases are not worth the hassle to me.  I toss them.

S&B are wonderful cases to trade in to the recyclers.

You know you could trade those or gift them to novice reloaders via the Brass Exchange thread...

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=84184.msg622988#msg622988

:o
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:35:37 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'Starting Load' we rely.

Offline crankyoldlady

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »
I put them in the recycle container at my club.  Other reloaders are welcome to help themselves.

In the past I have swaged them and used the RCBS ram priming tool.  But that added two steps and the purchase of two additional tools.  Guess I am lazy in my old age.

Offline noway

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 07:40:31 PM »
I shoot 9mm S&B new and reload the cases. Never had a problem seating primers (use a Lee handheld priming tool).

Much preferred to Blazer and FC.

Just prepped and primed 300 cases yesterday. Biggest issue was military brass, followed by FC, but nothing my press couldn't easily handle.

I will gladly take anyone's 'tight' brass of their hands...  :D

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:06:07 AM by noway »

Offline Bret

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 05:21:54 PM »
I keep my cases sorted by headstamp (actually, lot most of the time).  I've found that if I use Remington or S&B primers in the S&B cases, they'll prime just fine.

anything