Author Topic: Shadow2,TSO,Limited minor/major  (Read 1414 times)

Offline sdlrodeo

Shadow2,TSO,Limited minor/major
« on: December 12, 2017, 04:11:55 PM »
Ok,

Here’s my dilemma, I have an SP01 Shadow Target for Production Division, an SP01 Shadow (was target) with a milled slide and Delta Point Pro for Carry Optics, and a SIG MPX for Pistol Caliber Carbine. All are tuned to run the same 147grn 9mm minor power factor load. Easy peazy reloading.

I also have a tricked out STI Edge .40 for Limited Major USPSA. Let me tell you, the weight and trigger on a decently tuned 2011 style blaster is pretty darned sweet!!!

SOOOOOO,
Is .40 major worth it or should I just go to all 9mm minor power factor for everything? I could get away with shooting the Shadow Target in production AND limited minor, and the Milled Shadow for Carry Optics. BUT, it seems a Shadow 2 might be a good choice as well.

IF .40 major IS worth it, should I get rid of the STI and get a TSO in .40?

What to do?

Offline eastman

Re: Shadow2,TSO,Limited minor/major
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »
just buy a TSO in .40 (don't sell anything) and have both? sounds like a win to me
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:52:44 AM »
Definitely like where your mind is at.

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 03:51:59 AM »
Thanks for the board change Grendel. Didn’t really know where I should start it.

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
Yes, 40 major is worth it.  I've been running a TSO 40 for the last two seasons and it's 100% reliable.  Limited is even more about speed than accuracy.  That said, I got beat at Iowa Sectionals by a guy running a SP-01 in 9mm!

Race holsters are easier to find for 2011's (there's only two options I know of for TSO's).

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 10:00:21 AM »
Yes, 40 major is worth it.  I've been running a TSO 40 for the last two seasons and it's 100% reliable.  Limited is even more about speed than accuracy.  That said, I got beat at Iowa Sectionals by a guy running a SP-01 in 9mm!

Race holsters are easier to find for 2011's (there's only two options I know of for TSO's).

That is a good point. What holsters do you know of?

Offline IronicTwitch

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 01:05:13 PM »
From what I've heard, the DAA Alpha X is the best ($225)
https://www.doublealpha.biz/alpha-x-holster

Also, DAA RaceMaster Magnetic ($199)
https://www.doublealpha.biz/race-master-holster

I'm using a Ghost The One (with a SP-01 block).  I think I was one of the first people with a TSO and there were few options when I was looking.  It works and is solid when locked BUT there is a small wiggle that over time removes paint from the trigger guard.  There might be some instructions on how to shim it/fit it better but it's too late for me now. ($145)
https://www.ghostholsterdirect.com/shop/ghost-holster-the-one/

Alternative to race holster, Red Hill Tactical can do a kydex holster with space for the thumb rest.  For me, it's not ideal since you can see the trigger (from the shooters side of the holster).  I had one for a while before switching to the Ghost.

If anyone knows of others (Guga Ribas maybe?), please let us know!

BE Forum - same topic: http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/249876-what-holster-for-a-ts/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:11:14 PM by IronicTwitch »

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 01:31:38 PM »
Great info. Thank you very much!!!

Offline dave33

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 04:57:07 PM »
Maybe decide what division you want to focus on, and decide if you want to be overly concerned with the results.  If just shooting for fun and not really concerned with the score sheet at the end of the day shoot what you have.  But, major points are way better than minor points in limited unless you happen to be able to shoot all A's. 

But, it never hurts to buy more guns. O0 O0 O0

Offline tenchu74

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 06:30:51 AM »
Maybe decide what division you want to focus on, and decide if you want to be overly concerned with the results.  If just shooting for fun and not really concerned with the score sheet at the end of the day shoot what you have.  But, major points are way better than minor points in limited unless you happen to be able to shoot all A's. 

This.

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 07:49:35 AM »
The argument of focusing on one gun has a lot of merit. But my year end goals are slightly different and won’t allow for that.

I have been shooting production for several years. Due to marriage, kid, moving, kid, moving again, and othe life events I’ve not been able to put as much effort as I’d like into the sport. I may never go pro but I’m sitting scratching at the Master class in Production.
I decided to branch out this year in hopes that I can get a slot for the 9 days of nationals. My thinking is this:
Option A: shoot ALL CZ. Sp01 for both CO and Prod and either SP01 minor or TSO major for LTD. possibly a shadow 2 to replace the SP01 for Prod and LTd minor.

Option B: Shoot ALL different guns MPX for PCC, Sp01 (or S2) Prod, and 2011 for LTD Major.

Right now I’m sitting around B/Aish in PCC/CO/LTD.
I don’t know if I’ll get a slot but I’m going to try.

This is the reason I’m not

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 01:03:35 PM »
IMO, Ltd minor, especially at Nationals, is a good way to leave a lot of points out there. The extra capacity of 9mm minor in Limited is just not worth the points loss, unlike SS division where the +2 rounds in minor can make a difference over shooting major depending on the stage. 

Given your options and potential to shoot all 3 nationals next year in FL, I would focus on your option B and spend the next 10 months shooting your SP-01 or S2 in Production.  Shoot a few matches now and then with your PCC and 2011 to maintain proficiency, but focus on Prod as your baseline.   

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »
IMO, Ltd minor, especially at Nationals, is a good way to leave a lot of points out there. The extra capacity of 9mm minor in Limited is just not worth the points loss, unlike SS division where the +2 rounds in minor can make a difference over shooting major depending on the stage. 

Given your options and potential to shoot all 3 nationals next year in FL, I would focus on your option B and spend the next 10 months shooting your SP-01 or S2 in Production.  Shoot a few matches now and then with your PCC and 2011 to maintain proficiency, but focus on Prod as your baseline.   

Thanks for taking the time to layout where Minir comes into play. You make valid points with regards to points and mag capacity. I can start with 24 rounds in my SP01 but you’re right I don’t know if that makes that much of a difference with maybe one reload.

The reason I liked option A is because of the similarity of shooting platforms across the board. I can still do option A with LtD Maj with a TSO. Again, keeping it in The CZ Family.

Option B I already have the equipment for. Option A Maj would likely require picking up a TSO. Not that that is a bad thing.

a friend is going to lend me a TSO for a test drive. I plan on making the decision and locking down a strategy by the end of January.

Offline sdlrodeo

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »
Well I spent some time at the range with both. A borrowed TSO and my edge.

I’m sold on shooting Major LtD.

Immediately I noticed the difference in grips. I really liked the profile of the TSO and my strong hand fit perfectly. Nice high grip, super low bore axis feel. BUT my support hand felt really cramped and started pushing up on the safety despite me pushing down on it with my thumb.

The edge in comparison felt a little big front to back but there was plenty of room for my support hand.
I was slightly faster with the TSO with splits were around .19-.21 as compared to .21-.23 splits with the edge. I contribute that to a few things. The TSO has had a lot of tuning work put into it for the optimal spring/ammo pairing. Also I just expanded the pre/post trigger travel of the edge and was using Atlanta Arms long major ammo so it hasn’t been finely tuned. That and I haven’t practiced with either very much.

So I’ve decided to lock in a plan to shoot the 2011. But I think I’m going to either get an evo grip and/or an Atlas Titan for the season for LTD.

Now to sort out the CO v PCC. I think that will depend on my classification.

Offline 2morechains

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
So Option B?  Enjoy the journey! 

I usually focus on one division for a while and that division usually has something to do with an upcoming major match.  But this year’s concept of 3 back to back Nationals in the same 9 days...that throws a twist in there. 

Last year I mostly shot PCC since its debut.  Before then it was SS and Production, and before that it was Limited.  I’m now back to shooting Limited with a 6” 2011 for a bit.