Author Topic: Mec Gar CZ 75 Mags ... Will a 17 round basepad work on the 19 round mags?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline falconman515

I am new to the forum and just ordered my first ever CZ pistol (SP-01) I was told the mags will work in the SP-01 as well correct?

I am looking to order a few Mec Gar magazines and my question is ....

If I buy the 19 round +2 magazines can I remove the +2 baseplate and put a standard 17 rounder Mec Gar baseplate on the 19 round magazine???

Are the mags and spring exactly the same on both but the 19 just the extended +2 base pad? My main concern was if the 19 round "Spring" may be longer and be to much tension with a basic 17 round flat plate to then fit 17 rounds in the 19 round mag.

I like to have the option for either so I am thinking about buying 3 19's and just buying the $5 regular flat 17 round Mec Gar baseplate to use the mags in either capacity.

Thanks so much for the help on this! ;)

-Chris
CZ 75 SP-01

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Yes,  the Mec-Gars fit the full size 75 CZs.
The SPO1 mags hold 19 like the Mec-Gar +2s do.
The only replacement spring for the 17 & 19 round Mec-Gars are the same size and strength  as far as I know.
The only difference in the CZ and  MG mag springs are the shape of the end loops of the MGs are shaped to fit the base plate.  I'm told the CZ springs will work in the MGs.
  The CZ springs can be purchased with "extra strength" +5%/+10%.  The MG springs are not available with "extra strength".
  Curious why you would want to change " back" to 17 rds with the +2 mags.  They run faultlessly in the SPO1. :-\

The Guardian

The 17 rd base plates will work on the +2 19 rd Mecgar mags........it is the same magazine, I know this from experience, going the other direction  ;)

The Guardian

In fact they both use the same spring.......just FYI

Offline falconman515

Thanks so much for the replies. I'll just grab the 19's and order some separate 17 basepads.
CZ 75 SP-01

Offline Joe Allen

But do the 19s have the internal floorplate to retain the baseplate?

Offline falconman515

But do the 19s have the internal floorplate to retain the baseplate?

Hmmmm ... anyone know? Didn?t think of that.

I was just gonna ordering the 17 base pad was all, is the floor plate in the 19 there? And the same as the 17???

CZ 75 SP-01

Offline Joe Allen

Just grabbed one out of the range bag. The 19, as pointed out, is the same tube, spring, and follower as the 17, but has the Mec Gar +2 base plate that is secured with a "L" shaped piece  that is external to the back of the mag tube:

There's nothing to secure the 17 round baseplate - unless it comes with one, I think you'll be out of luck. Probably just as cheap to buy an assortment of 17 and 19 round mags to suit your needs.

Offline falconman515

Just grabbed one out of the range bag. The 19, as pointed out, is the same tube, spring, and follower as the 17, but has the Mec Gar +2 base plate that is secured with a "L" shaped piece  that is external to the back of the mag tube:

There's nothing to secure the 17 round baseplate - unless it comes with one, I think you'll be out of luck. Probably just as cheap to buy an assortment of 17 and 19 round mags to suit your needs.

So if you remove the +2 and that L shaped piece the then there will be no base plate to slide the flat 17 rounder base pad onto I would guess right? The 17 does not use that external base plate. Dang
CZ 75 SP-01

Offline Joe Allen

Yep. That's how it stands.

Offline falconman515

Re: Mec Gar CZ 75 Mags ... Will a 17 round basepad work on the 19 round mags?
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 01:53:03 AM »
So basically to make this works and convert 19's to 17's I would also need the 17 base plate inside the mag along with the 17 base pad of course correct?
CZ 75 SP-01

Offline Louiczana

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 09:09:39 PM »
Correct

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JLla84

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 12:43:48 PM »
Not to hijack this thread but, reverse it... if I want to make the shadow 2 17 round mags into 19s like the ones you can buy, i just need to find the mecgar +2s right?
Visit my IG for USPSA and other shooting videos!
https://www.instagram.com/jlla84/

CZ Shadow 2 Cajunized
CZ P10c Cajunized
CZ Cajun PCR
CZ Scorpion K SBR
Sig P365XL RX
M&P Shield

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
Yep.

Offline JLla84

Visit my IG for USPSA and other shooting videos!
https://www.instagram.com/jlla84/

CZ Shadow 2 Cajunized
CZ P10c Cajunized
CZ Cajun PCR
CZ Scorpion K SBR
Sig P365XL RX
M&P Shield