Author Topic: Kadet fit on another frame oddities.  (Read 691 times)

Offline sberres

Kadet fit on another frame oddities.
« on: December 13, 2017, 10:28:35 PM »
I thought this a bit strange...
I recently refinished a pre-b and my Kadet fit and functions just fine with it. Mags fit without issue, it's all good. I picked up another pre-b as a second project recently. It's been stripped for refurbishment but I just happened to toss the Kadet slide on and it didn't want to fit. Ok, except that if I remove the slide from the Kadet the barrel is what is hanging up. Again, ok, but it's only hanging up at the entry point. If I lift it and drop the lug just slightly behind the normal start point it's fine but then can't be pulled forward. So, it can't be properly assembled since this won't work with the slide in place.
  Now, it's really no big deal if the Kadet won't fit this lower and I don't think I'll file the barrel lug piece to do so. It fits the omega and another fine the way it is. Just wondering if anyone else has seen something similar?  I just thought it weird.
Best,
SB

The Guardian

Re: Kadet fit on another frame oddities.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:43:32 PM »
I've had similar issues, works fine on this frame, not another and yet different issues on a third...don't think you are unique, its actually fairly common.  Why? your guess is as good as anyone elses  ::)  You will see many varied "issues" that Kadet owners experience if you scan this part of the forum.  Another thing that is unusual is that folks put up with these variations in function because the Kadet's are a lot of fun once they get dialed in  :)

Offline sberres

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:36:18 PM »
That they are, tons of fun, that is. Made even easier knowing that a mag dump runs about .55-.60 cents!  I just thought that this particular fitup was a little peculiar. The front lugs are fine. Only the barrel lug is stopped dead at it initial contact point. But it's fine just behind that point. And I can't see anything in the little barrel lug slot that looks like it's been peened or otherwise deformed right at the front of the slot. Just weird.
No matter, really. This 'poor' condition pre-b is in much better shape than the last one and I think it's going to turn out really nicely. Think I'll need to wait till next spring to do the rust bluing, though. Way too cold for that sort of magic to work right now!
Best,
SB

The Guardian

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:57:19 PM »
As strange as this may sound.........I find that when folks say they didn't have issues of some kind with a Kadet, that's really the oddity  ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 06:59:29 PM by The Guardian »

Offline painter

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
The tolerances on the early pistols were all over the place.

If you look at the fitting instructions for the Kadet there is an area on the barrel lug that may be hitting on the sides of the frame.

By lifting the barrel you might be getting past the tight spot.

Worth a look.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline sberres

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 11:47:58 AM »
That is correct. The file-to-fit area on the barrel lug is catching on the channel that it is supposed to slip into. I had to adjust this slightly to fit the first gun I mounted it to. Like I said, I won't adjust the Kadet any further to fit this one.
  I just found it strange that the Kadet, on this frame, stops dead right at that point. Just past it (if I left the barrel), it's free to move again to the slide stop hole. If I try to pull it forward as if I were removing the Kadet normally it hits that same point and stops dead hard. Not sort of wedging in, but a dead stop.
  As I said, the Kadet doesn't have to ride this one. It fits snugly on a couple of others so I'll leave it at that. As long as this one fits it's normal bbl ok there's really no worry.
  That aside, I've been browsing a lot of old posts in the Kadet area and it seems an awful lot of users detest the Remington Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets while swearing by Federal bulk and Champion. I can't seem to get Champions to run worth a darn; double feeding, stuck cases, poor ejection. While the aforementioned cheap Rem seem to run quite well and with decent accuracy. Not match grade, but quarter'ish sized groups at 10 yds, offhand.  RGBs are definitely dirty buggers, tho!

Best,
SB

Offline painter

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »
That's why I don't use them. The bullets are often loose in thew cases, and not concentric.

I've had good luck with CCI SV, and better, ammo.
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline cntrydawwwg

Kadet fit on another frame oddities.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 08:09:20 PM »
My Kadet doesn’t like Match Champions either, but eats Thunderbolts. Also American Eagles feed with zero issues.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:18:45 PM by cntrydawwwg »
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline steel

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 04:08:20 PM »
I have had no issues with CCI standard velocity or Mini Mags.  Federal Match Targets have been problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline redlightrich

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 08:32:19 AM »
I have also found CZ frame tolerances to vary quite a bit. I have decided to purchase dedicated kits, so I have a "no compromise" fit to each frame. The situation you have is very common. I have learned this the hard way. I would say even more so with Pre B models, although I don't own one, this is what I have read many times.

In regards to ammo, Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack 36g hp have a shorter OAL than some other ammo. I too find that it works ok, but is very, very dirty. If I shoot it, I make sure it is at the end of my shooting session so I don't get failures on the rest of the ammo.
Thunderbolts? For me they lead a barrel in short order. As a matter of fact, for me, I never have leading, unless I shoot that ammo. Thankfully, some Hoppes and a brush, and it comes out, in sheets.  YMMV, I say leave that ammo where it belongs, on the store shelf, especially when there are great choices available.

Merry Christmas

Rich

Offline sberres

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »
Last time out I put 250-300 rds of T'bolt through it specifically to check how difficult to clean or how much lead level would be involved. It really didn't seem too bad, I thought. In fact, I was surprised by how clean the barrel looked!  I had sent a few RGBs through it but more at random than by design. Unfortunately these have been my most economical options of late but both have run very well for me. I'm just glad these cheapos run so well despite their well documented drawbacks.
Best,
SB

Offline Pilot1

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 03:11:04 PM »
I originally bought my Gen 1 Kadet Kit to go on my 75B, and 75D PCR.  It fit perfectly on both guns with no modifications.  A few years ago I bought a NIB 1991 made 75 Pre-B.  The Kadet mags will NOT fit in the Pre-B, and I don't want to mod the gun to accept the mags as I have two other gun to shoot with the Kadet.  However, the new Mec-Gar 9MM mags designed for the 75B WILL fit in my Pre-B.    ;D

Offline sberres

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
Guess I've just been lucky so far with the pre-B's that I've obtained. The first came with a 15 rd mag that functioned but wouldn't remain in place in either firing or manually operating the slide. It accepted current 16 rounders and the Kadet mags without issue. I gave up on the 15 rounder and just got it some 16 rd mec-gars.
The 2nd one came with a 16 rd and had no prob with either the current ones or the Kadets.
Best,
SB

Offline Walt Sherrill

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 09:36:36 AM »
The only pre-B I tried my Kadet Kit on (and I've had a number of pre-Bs over the years) had a hammer that was too wide to fit in the notch at the rear of the slide.  The hammer couldn't contact the the firing pin.  Fit on the frame wasn't an issue.    (This was an early pre-B, before they started making minor changes to the design.)   My Kadet Kit worked so well on my 85 Combat, I never bothered to use it on other frames.  (The Kit fit and worked on other CZ I've owned, but I just preferred using the 85 Combat, which had some tuning and a slightly different sear.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:31:46 AM by Walt Sherrill »