Author Topic: How Easy (or Hard) Is It To Remove The Rear Sight On The SP-01?  (Read 8895 times)

Offline falconman515

Getting my first CZ ever in a few weeks, The SP-01 and I am wanting to put on the CJW Dawson F/O Sight Set.

Seems as if the front is fairly easy with just a roll pin holding that in, But ...

How Hard Is It To Remove The Rear Sight???

I've installed rear sights int he past and some (like the Beretta APX) were "Horrific" to remove!!!

Just wondering how bad these are?

Ans also just so I know are they to be removed from one side of the frame to the other (looking front he rear)?

Thanks so much for the info.
CZ 75 SP-01

Offline copemech

Re: How Easy (or Hard) Is It To Remove The Rear Sight On The SP-01?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 11:36:15 PM »
Seems they vary a lot as some are a piece of cake and others can be a real pig!

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 02:19:38 AM »
Fairly easy. Remove the set screw first. Fix the slide in the padded vice. Looking from the back tap it out from right to the left with brass punch. Or use the sight pusher if you have one.

Offline katsu

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 02:30:34 AM »
There are some really hard to watch videos on YouTube of people banging the heck out of their CZs with a mallet and a nylon punch. It's also a lot harder to get the new one in centered with a hammer.

A cheap sight pusher on Amazon will last you long enough if you're using it correctly. Also nice for those of us living where we can't mount a vice!
The fleet:
CZ 75 P-01
CZ 75b SA
S&W 19-3
S&W/Aero AR-15
Remington 870 Wingmaster
M1 Garand

Offline muncie21

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 06:41:03 AM »
Do yourself a favor and get a sight pusher. 
Here's the one that I used when I replaced the sights on my SP01 and my TS.  Best $40 I've spent on gun related tools yet :)

Offline Usmo

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 08:51:50 AM »
I also use a sight pusher. This makes the process really easy with no marring of the slide.

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 10:29:22 AM »
Get a sight pusher. If you've replaced sights in the past and are planning on replacing these, smart money says you're going to be doing it again. A sight pusher is a wise investment, especially given how cheap they are now - they used to start at $100.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
+another for pusher. No muss, no fuss, no vice and no messed up sight or gun.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 10:29:55 PM »
Also, if you're installing tritium sights, I have heard of people breaking the tritium vials trying to drift particularly recalcitrant sights in.

Offline Continental Op

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 10:59:45 PM »
I agree that a sight pusher is better than a punch and hammer, but they're expensive.  I removed the rear sight from my BD by using a drill press vise.  It's not easy.  I figured out that if I removed the face on the vise jaw, I could use the hole from the screw that held it on as a void to accept the rear sight as I pushed it out.  I used a small brass padlock as an extension from the opposite vise jaw to push the sight out.  I hope that makes sense.  Wish I had pictures.

Offline falconman515

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 11:15:31 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies. I will indeed be using a basic Amazon sight pusher.

Just wanted to know how hard they jamb that thing in at CZ!

My Beretta APX was like a rock and my P320 was much easier along with my POQ.

Just wondering with a sight pusher if it was an easy out and in?

And the front sight is just a pin and that?s all right?
CZ 75 SP-01

Offline Joe Allen

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 11:45:54 PM »
A sight pusher has a great deal of mechanical advantage, which can be increased even further on some sight pushers, by using a wrench.

The front sight goes in longitudinally, remove the roll pin and knock it out with a rubber hammer or a nylon punch. The new front sight may need to be drilled for the roll pin. The roll pin is crucial: even if the front sight is so hard to drive in that you can't imagine it ever coming out - the roll pin also secures the barrel bushing.

Offline falconman515

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2017, 01:57:00 AM »
A sight pusher has a great deal of mechanical advantage, which can be increased even further on some sight pushers, by using a wrench.

The front sight goes in longitudinally, remove the roll pin and knock it out with a rubber hammer or a nylon punch. The new front sight may need to be drilled for the roll pin. The roll pin is crucial: even if the front sight is so hard to drive in that you can't imagine it ever coming out - the roll pin also secures the barrel bushing.

Good to know, I was aware by watching the videos that it served both purposes also holding the bushing  ... ya I was gonna order an extra roll pin (just in case) when I ordered the Dawson sight set from Cajun Gun Works ... I may also ask what size bit should be used to drill if needed and order what they got if they carry one made to do that.

Sounds like the install should go pretty easy with a pusher if I am lucky. Guess I'll find out next month when the SP-01 arrives.
CZ 75 SP-01

Offline katsu

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
One thing, make sure you take that set screw out of the rear - people have broken cheaper sight pushers because they didn't. I understand it's because cheaper ones are cast.

But none of us mentioned breaking one, they're pretty good if you use them correctly!
The fleet:
CZ 75 P-01
CZ 75b SA
S&W 19-3
S&W/Aero AR-15
Remington 870 Wingmaster
M1 Garand

Offline Winkel

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 08:21:39 PM »
Do yourself a favor and get a sight pusher. 
Here's the one that I used when I replaced the sights on my SP01 and my TS.  Best $40 I've spent on gun related tools yet :)

That's a nice looking unit.  I always drift mine with a punch but when I have to make adjustments, I always end up chasing the rear sight back and forth.  I try to measure it's location with a caliper to see if it moved or how much before I reassemble and head outside to give it a test run but I should invest in one of these.
Like others have said, if you're installing tritium sights, you probably don't want to bang on them.
To get the old rear out, I always put a drop of oil in the space between the sight and slide.  Once things get moving, the oil helps keep the moving.

anything