Author Topic: Grip question CZ SP 01  (Read 1820 times)

Offline SW CQB 45

Grip question CZ SP 01
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:38:03 AM »
I am new to CZ and shooting my SP 01 in a match for the second time.

I am using the factory rubber grips and I have oversized hands/fingers.

I can bust through the fingers of 2XL thin leather gloves. I am not able to put any support hand touching the grip frame as my primary fingers cover the majority of the grip and so my support hands grips the top of my primary hand.

In a match today (100 degree temp), when I went to do my first mag change......my fingers felt stuck to the rubber panel when I tried to reposition the grip to depress the mag release.

I like the way the rubber panels grip but it slowed me down as it took extra second(s) to get my hand unstuck.

Is there any big hand CZ SP 01 (or similar) shooters out there and your preference on grip.

I don't want to start spending $75+ on a guess.

I like Pachmyers on my 1911 but the CZ rubber has a lot more stickiness than Pacs.

I like the read on LOK palm swells but know nothing about them.

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 12:40:06 AM by SW CQB 45 »
The plaque for the alternates is in the ladies room.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Grip question CZ SP 01
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:48:31 AM »
I can't say what will work for your hand size,  but the LOK Bogies with the palm swell are not "sticky" in out 100+ degree weather in South Texas.  I had to switch back to the LOK flat grips with my short finger reach.  The texture is aggressive and actually feels almost soft to me.  There is notch cut for the mag release. I shot a match today and was soaking wet with sweat.

Wait for someone with big hands to reply,  but I like them after years of using thin aluminum grips with grip tape.  No tape is needed with these---for me. 

Offline SW CQB 45

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 01:00:16 AM »
thanks 1SOW, I will wait but just to confirm the grips you use..

LOK Bogies ?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 01:12:41 AM »
Yes.

Offline sirgilligan

• Gun Log SPC
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »
I have long fingers but they are skinny. For a quick fix put some of the plastic ones that come on a regular 75 model. I don't have mine out of the safe right now but I imagine that would work for the hot day issue. If they do fit I bet someone on here has a bunch of them from when they put on custom grips.

Offline SW CQB 45

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:13:20 AM »
the more I think about my fingers sticking......

I had a very solid grip and it may have caught me off guard because I shift the gun in my hand on mag changes (whether 19.. or Gl... or whatever) and I did the same here, but it felt stuck to my hand.

It did not happen again after that first time and since this is only my third time shooting CZ (twice with my SP01)....it may be something I will get used to using factory rubber.

My gun came with VZs, while they felt ok......the rubbers felt better to me and I sold them to a CZ co-worker.

I still want to know preference grips for BIG HANDS.

if I see a set of plastics.....I may grab them just to try!

thanks

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 09:30:45 PM »
 For  me,  the plastics that came with my 75B were slippery.  It' what started my search for grips a long time back.
Everyone is different.

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »
    Bought a set of the LOK, palm swell G-10's last week. $75 but worth it.

I have large hands, I wore size 12 flight gloves in the Military and I'd push my middle finger through them in a few months. The LOK grips fit me very well on my 75B.  I'd suggest giving them a try. You could always sell them here pretty easily.

Offline SW CQB 45

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 07:20:58 PM »
Thanks FN. appreciate the info

Offline jabate01

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »
I have seen Hogue wrap around grips that have the finger groves along the front strap. They don't cost that much and that will make the frame feel thicker.
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Genin

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 02:47:13 PM »
I had the wrap around grips on my SP-01 but I was doing hand transitions and sure enough my hand would get stuck on occasion when doing hand switching and when doing reloads (I do social finger reloads because I'm a lefty). I switched to LOK Palm Swell Bogies and love them. I have XL hands and grip the pistol hard.

Offline optimator

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 01:20:21 PM »
Email LOK. They will make a set of Bogies up to 1/16" oversized. No additional charge either.