Author Topic: Canik Stingray Barrel  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Roy805

Canik Stingray Barrel
« on: December 17, 2017, 12:36:09 PM »
Looks like I?m going to have an uphill battle to find a replacement barrel for my canik Stingray. However I have two things on my side: first I?m committed to finding one and second is that I am relentless. I haven?t even fired this thing yet but love the feel and look of it. Sooo I?m gonna find one somehow or another.

I?ve received some help from a fellow forum member (DF Hammack) whose verified that the p100 barrel is very similar to the point that his measurements of the two barrels were within 3 thousandths of each other but the p100 barrel was longer and thus wouldn?t drop in. I don?t have a problem getting the barrel cut, or purchasing some tools to do it myself, however before I roll the dice with that I?d like to do some more verification.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?

Offline Practical Shooter

• Legio Patria Nostra
Re: Canik Stingray Barrel
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 04:47:21 PM »
Here in the Canik site, the Stingray-C barrel is 3.74"
http://www.canikarms.com/series/stingray-series/stingray

On the CZ site, the P01 barrel is 3.75" (same as the CZ75 compact and PCR). Those barrels "might" fit and should be easier to find in an after market store. But length is not the only variable.
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-9mm-black-alloy-14-rd-mags/

Offline Roy805

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 10:03:02 PM »
The P01 barrel is close but I don?t think it?ll work because while the barrel length is the same there are some variances in the hood and locking lug dimensions between the two. The variances are in ways that can?t be worked or filed down since the material isn?t there to file. I may be mistaken but based on the measurements I received they are different.

Offline DF_Hammack

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 10:27:26 PM »
Here in the Canik site, the Stingray-C barrel is 3.74"
http://www.canikarms.com/series/stingray-series/stingray

On the CZ site, the P01 barrel is 3.75" (same as the CZ75 compact and PCR). Those barrels "might" fit and should be easier to find in an after market store. But length is not the only variable.
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01-9mm-black-alloy-14-rd-mags/

I actually measured the barrel from my brother's Stingray C. It measured 3-1/2 inches. The barrel from my P100 is 3.7 inches and was too long to fit the Stingray C slide. All breech block dimensions were within tolerance and my P100 barrel fit the Stingray frame.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:29:04 PM by DF_Hammack »
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American - Congressman Tenche Coxe, 1788

Offline Roy805

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 11:45:00 AM »
Just a follow up.

I went ahead and purchased the p100 barrel and as DF pointed out everything is precisely the same. While it takes some minimal coercion I was able to get it to drop in. I may do some minor filing so it drops in easier though.

Once it warms up a bit here I?ll test fire to ensure all is good then go from there.

Will post some pics when I get a chance.

Thanks DF for the evaluation!

Offline Roy805

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hypo

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:56:37 AM »
I like that look. 
Hopefully it will cycle reliably and be accurate.

Offline DF_Hammack

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:11:01 AM »
Glad it worked for you, Roy. Do include a range report on it. I didn't try to shoe horn the barrel in since it wasn't my gun. I figured I might get it in, and then not be able to get it out.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:13:50 AM by DF_Hammack »
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American - Congressman Tenche Coxe, 1788

Offline Roy805

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 11:41:24 AM »
Will do. If all goes well I?ll be in for a total of 267 for this firecracker which has me pretty excited.

Offline Roy805

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
Went to the range today and pu about 76 rounds through it with no issues at all! I love the feel of the gun overal and will be doing some mods in the upcoming future.

I would say that it shoots pretty precise as the groupings were relatively consistent, but the accuracy is about 3 inches high. This seems to be a common occurrence with these guns and I believe the can be remedied with new sights.

DA trigger is extremely hard which is no secret so I?ll be looking to lighten it.

i believe my shopping list in the near future will include:

Magazines
Sights
Trigger
Grips

Offline DF_Hammack

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 02:55:08 PM »
Roy, Just curious... What is the primary mission for this gun? Also, at what range were you shooting?
BTW, if that gun was never shot very much, the trigger will break in a good bit. You can do that with rounds down range, dry fire, or if you're impatient, or thorough, a polish job on the trigger might just work wonders.
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Offline Roy805

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 03:57:04 PM »
Originally I bought it as a challenge and the purchase price was pretty low. The guy I?ve used locally for a few transfers showed me a few of his custom jobs and mentioned that the Caniks were great guns based on the CZ design. So when I saw this piece for sale with the broken barrel I figured I?d give it a go.

Ultimately I think this will be my primary range gun and a tinker toy to customize.

I was shooting at approximately 7-10 yards. I think this has quite a few rounds through it looking at the wear marks in the slide. Although I believe I do need to add the polish job to my to do list.

Offline DF_Hammack

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 06:00:57 PM »
Try it at 15 yards, and maybe 25 yards. I know that sounds like long range for a compact, but it sounds like that might be where it is sighted. I haven't noticed any difficulty with my POA/POI at 10 yards. I will caution you that the recoil seems to jar the screws loose from the rear sight. My brother lost two before secured them, finally, with Blue LocTite. They are not a standard screw, or at least he couldn't find them locally, so it may take a while to get replacements. If you have any problem finding a front sight for it, as a last resort, you could build up the front with silver solder and steel wire, and the sight it in, filing a bit off at a time. The alternative might be to just learn the hold under, but that might throw your training off with other guns.
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Offline nitzer

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 11:26:22 PM »
Sights will be a royal PITA to find.  You can check out this thread on mine and my quest for a rear sight because mine was shooting high also.  I ended up getting one from Century, but it was like pulling teeth and they replaced mine under warranty.  I doubt they would just sell a rear...

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=67740.msg482929#msg482929

Offline Roy805

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 12:19:28 PM »
Hey Nitzer

I went ahead and purchased the CGW spring kit and TRS from them as well which has helped the trigger pull. When I did this, they mentioned they are anticipating getting new sites from Dawson sometime in Jan or Feb ?18 that they sent off a slide for figment. Not sure if it was a stingray slide or some other canik but hopeful that it?ll fit. Otherwise I?m going to have to find something else that?ll fit or can be fitted. To the dovetails.

Thanks for the link to your post, that?ll surely be helpful if the CGW sites don?t fit.