Author Topic: Look what Bubba did to my sights!  (Read 969 times)

Offline newageroman

Look what Bubba did to my sights!
« on: December 19, 2017, 07:07:57 PM »
OMG! WTF!
Just trying stuff out. I think I might go with the green triangle in front and reds in rear. Next round will be much more highly polished/finished. I'm going to try for an undercut and serrations on the next run too. Also have to work out the POI calculations.

Pros: CHEAP! Should be good for fast action shooting, Swapable inserts about $1/ea . Rides right on the slide so super low bore axis. I will most likely mill down the extra metal from the top of the sights.
Cons: UGLY! Won't impress hot shooter type chicks.

Input/opinions welcomed...

Before:

Offline Morbid1X

Re: Look what Bubba did to my sights!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 12:30:05 AM »
Bubbas hi viz

Offline Blackwatch

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:01:14 AM »
Also on the plus side, since front sight is pinned, both sights can be replaced down the road. Quite a creative solution for hi-viz.

Offline newageroman

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 09:27:08 AM »
Update. I was worried about the inserts staying put, but this past weekend the front sight had no issues moving around (I didn't have the rear at the time).
Bubba finished up the rear and made the holes a little too big so the inserts floated around a bit. I tried tapping them into the sight so they would grab, the that only minorly worked. Then I just turned the thing upside down and torched the thin ends with a lighter. They curled up and look horrible, but they 'sealed' into the sights now and still gather plenty of light. I'm gonna try a fresh pair tonight using a soldering iron to heat the sights directly and set the inserts.

Offline flattusmaximus78

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 02:29:15 PM »
What is the goal here?

Offline Continental Op

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 10:22:20 PM »
Umm...  A for effort?  I guess.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 07:59:49 AM »
Cool.  Do those rods come in plaid?

Offline Vinny

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 08:56:11 AM »
Inspirational.....Now you've got me thinking about replacing those old burnt out tritium night sights with large Cubic Zirconia diamonds.  O0
"Without Fear, there can be no Courage"
"Carpe Diem"

Offline newageroman

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 09:23:06 AM »
Are all of the images showing up for you guys? I only see the first one. I know I put the others(4 or 5 more) up too though.

Some improvements will be made on the next run. I will say that they are WAY better than stock, much faster and easier to pick up quickly. Durability and POI might be a concern, but not bad for $3 and some mill/drill work.

Offline Vinny

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 09:55:38 AM »
Are all of the images showing up for you guys? I only see the first one. I know I put the others(4 or 5 more) up too though.

Some improvements will be made on the next run. I will say that they are WAY better than stock, much faster and easier to pick up quickly. Durability and POI might be a concern, but not bad for $3 and some mill/drill work.

Yes, I can see all images OK.  I like the concept. May we ask source of the FO inserts??
"Carpe Diem"

Offline newageroman

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »
They support guy sent me a direct link to the shotgun bead replacements - I don't have that link on hand right now, but a google search turned up even better:

http://www.hivizsights.com/product-category/products/replacement-litepipes/

Looks like from this page ^^^ you can order any type of replacements (handgun, rifle, shotgun)
enjoy...

Offline Vinny

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 11:10:08 AM »
They support guy sent me a direct link to the shotgun bead replacements - I don't have that link on hand right now, but a google search turned up even better:

http://www.hivizsights.com/product-category/products/replacement-litepipes/

Looks like from this page ^^^ you can order any type of replacements (handgun, rifle, shotgun)
enjoy...

Thanks NewAgeRoman! looks like a great resource for FO litepipes. -Vinny
"Carpe Diem"

Offline Willie Repeat

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 01:55:43 PM »
Would certainly turn some heads at the range. Neat idea

Offline Marauderx

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 04:44:20 PM »
I think it is kinda cool- I like thinking way outside the box. I like to drill the dot on the front sight about 1.5 mm, put a smidgen of white paint in it, and pack it with GLOWINC.com sight paint.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »
You don't want hi-viz fiber optic rears.  You want to keep focus on front sight, and hi-viz rears will pull focus to the rear sight involuntarily.  That's exactly what you don't want for fast action shooting.  ;)

Also... hideous.  ;)