Author Topic: Broke my range cherry today.  (Read 1056 times)

Offline gwvt

Broke my range cherry today.
« on: December 22, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »
I've been shooting for a long time but before today I'd never been to a commercial range. I'd always gone shooting in the woods, desert, mountains or my own land, depending on where I was living. I moved down to Florida and actually had been putting off going to a range for a few months, which is a long time to go without shooting! Today I went with my brother and nephew to a county-run range (Strickland Shooting Range) and paid 100 bucks for a year's membership. It's a pretty nice place with 25 and 50 yd rifle spots and 15 and 7 yd for pistols. I brought my VZ2008 folder, my 75BD Police and my Ruger Mark III 22/45 Target and went through a whole lot of rounds. We traded around so I got to try my brother's WASR AK and my nephew's AR (S&W? not sure) among other things. I also had a guy recognize that my VZ was a VZ and even got the name right, which was impressive, since people generally think it's some kind of AK. It's paper targets only there so I still miss shooting steel and other reactive targets but I'm hoping to find a place to do that in the future. I know it's not an exciting report but hey, I knew you guys would understand.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Broke my range cherry today.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 09:58:58 PM »
It is exciting to find a good place to shoot with family and friends. 
Glad you found it.  Merry Christmas.

Offline gwvt

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:54:31 PM »
Merry Christmas to you as well!

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 11:56:16 PM »
Now that you've tasted the drug again...it will grow on you, and grow, demanding to be fed with powder and lead, steel and wood, the only addiction to which no cure is needed. :D

Offline gwvt

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
Oh believe me, I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms the whole time! I just had to adjust to the idea of shooting paper only and having someone monitoring me, even though I'm as safety conscious as anyone. The ROs there were very welcoming, though.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 10:13:25 PM »
That is why I love my range, maintained well, but free and unmonitored. Shoot whatever you like as long as you clean it up and it doesn't explode. Tannerite has a tendency to set the desert on fire, bad juju.

Offline gwvt

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 10:27:42 PM »
Yeah, I need to find a place like that, free or not. I just want to be able to shoot my own steel targets and draw from a holster. I'm looking into a couple other places. Having more options for shooting is one of the few things I miss about living in VT.

Offline TR14

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
Having a range to go to along with a remote place shoot is nice. If the wife and daughter go shooting with me we almost always will end up at the range. If my son and I go without them almost always end up in the desert. We like the freedom of shooting steel and being able draw from holster and do things at our own pace.