Author Topic: Finish on new Phantom barrels?  (Read 341 times)

Offline kean57

Finish on new Phantom barrels?
« on: December 30, 2017, 02:26:46 PM »
Hello, All, and an early Happy New Year!
      I just picked up a new SP-01 Phantom (made in July of 2017); the barrel has what looks like a black oxide/black polycoat finish on it, and has some deep scratches running the last inch or so toward the muzzle, running  parallel to the bore line. There are also a few, fainter scratches on the top of the barrel chamber. also parallel to the bore. I'ver never seen a new barrel with scratches like this, and my last Phantom (made in 2011) had a different barrel finish (carburized?) Just curious if anyone knows what finish CZ is putting on these barrels, and if the scratching off of the black finish in parallel lines is normal on a brand-new gun (other than the five rounds fired at the factory, of course).
     Thanks for your time, and curious to learn from your collective knowledge,

kean57 (Jim)

The Guardian

Re: Finish on new Phantom barrels?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »
If just scratches I wouldn’t think much of it......even stainless barrels get them but they aren’t as visable as on the black steel barrels. Most likely just rubbing on the bushing as the slide cycles.  If your finger-nail gets caught on them, that may me another issue that may need looked at.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 07:27:18 PM »
Normal.
All the older 75s had that black heat treatment coating.  The wear lines you see are from passing through the bbl bushing.  Some used to polish the visible parts of bbl for bling. :)
  It's also  visible on newer bbls as a polished look radiating back from the bushing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:13:03 PM by 1SOW »

Offline 30-30

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »
my barrels on both of my Phantoms have considerable wear on them, no big deal, great auto's my favorite CZ choice.
WENT BACK TO GLOCK