Author Topic: CZ 75 Pre B Restoration... Sorta  (Read 728 times)

Offline Earl Keese

Re: CZ 75 Pre B Restoration... Sorta
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »
Just wondering, why did you cut the beavertail so high that you get hammer bite? Was the plan to swap in a round hammer? Not a criticism, just curious about your plan.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 09:18:28 PM »
Just wondering, why did you cut the beavertail so high that you get hammer bite? Was the plan to swap in a round hammer? Not a criticism, just curious about your plan.

To be honest.... I didn't think my work on the hammer hooks was going to produce that good of results. So, I didn't plan my beavertail accordingly. Plus, my grip has progressed with practice in the last month or so. I wasn't able to build as solid of a grip previously that produced my hand pressing up on the beavertail like that. It was a combination of two good things coming together unexpectedly that produced this issue.

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline John1125

• Leaving a carbon footprint one round at a time .
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 09:30:27 PM »

Scarlett ,

Just cut of the tail of that hammer , problem solved .

Now as to the front sight , mine looked almost identical to that , I peened the ding back into place and worked it smooth with a file , in doing that you will loose a little of the width of the sight which was a good thing for me anyway . Work both sides obviously to an even width.

I also thought about the bushing as you have and talked to CGW about new front sight and bushing but as you said it does cost to go that route .

Keep up the good work ,

Kirk
Life is too short to live with a sorry trigger............

You shoot 250,000 rounds figuring out your mistakes , you shoot the  next 250,000  trying to correct them........

CZ75B
PreB 75
Transitional 75 X 2

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 09:35:23 PM »
Thanks for explaining, I figured it was something along those lines. On mine, I just break the lower edge on the beavertail and the discomfort is gone. I'd like to undercut the trigger guard like you did, but my grip is high enough with the beavertail as is - any higher and I'd be risking hammer bite. I'm afraid if I undercut the guard without doing the same to the beavertail, it won't feel/point right. It would be ideal to add metal and extend the beavertail.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 10:30:29 PM »

Scarlett ,

Just cut of the tail of that hammer , problem solved .

Now as to the front sight , mine looked almost identical to that , I peened the ding back into place and worked it smooth with a file , in doing that you will loose a little of the width of the sight which was a good thing for me anyway . Work both sides obviously to an even width.

I also thought about the bushing as you have and talked to CGW about new front sight and bushing but as you said it does cost to go that route .

Keep up the good work ,

Kirk

Sounds like the best plan for the hammer.

What did you peen it with? I can imagine a few ways but its a always worth asking those of you who have done it and already have experience. I don't mind making it thinner, it'll help me get a more refined sight picture.

I do want to save up for the tools to crown the barrel. That'll be a month or two away though... Figured that would be worth doing before a new barrel or the machine work for the bushing.

Have you ever put in those old school style 1911 sights that are like these Pre B front sights? 70 series I think they are called (not so versed in the 1911's sadly). I saw a member get one of those and fit it to work for a Pre B. When I saw that post  I thought about getting a CGW bushing and drilling a hole for the front sight and using the 1911 style sight to pin it all together. Does that make any sense?

Thanks for explaining, I figured it was something along those lines. On mine, I just break the lower edge on the beavertail and the discomfort is gone. I'd like to undercut the trigger guard like you did, but my grip is high enough with the beavertail as is - any higher and I'd be risking hammer bite. I'm afraid if I undercut the guard without doing the same to the beavertail, it won't feel/point right. It would be ideal to add metal and extend the beavertail.

If you use the CZC Competition hammers they don't drop back far and you could likely get away with a beavertail and undercut like mine. I think the CGW Race Hammers would drop back and bite with a beavertail like mine.

I agree, adding metal would be most ideal. I love the beavertail of the SP-01, and I fear trying a Shadow 2 because it looks pretty epic. The grip on my Pre B competes with my SP-01 now. It's different, and even better in a few ways. I have noticed I can't get the frame of my CZ 75 B Compact the same as the pre B. The Pre B had more metal so I could get the grip feeling thinner. It's hard to explain...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline John1125

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 07:29:03 AM »
I have not replaced any with the sights you are talking about . I always have them milled for novak  dovetail front and rear, that way the options are almost endless.

I have seen where they have been replaced and its not all that easy , it takes a peening tool and there would be a lot more room to work on a 1911 since the bushing would be out , it would be really tough to do on the CZ platform , although I suppose some have done it.

Kirk

You shoot 250,000 rounds figuring out your mistakes , you shoot the  next 250,000  trying to correct them........

CZ75B
PreB 75
Transitional 75 X 2

Offline knittle

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 08:08:39 AM »
Nice work. Makes me re think what I want to do for my next gun. I have been wanting to give this a try for refinishing something in the future.
https://molyresin.com/ 

Offline John1125

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 09:35:09 PM »

What did you peen it with? I can imagine a few ways but its a always worth asking those of you who have done it and already have experience. I don't mind making it thinner, it'll help me get a more refined sight picture.

If I recall , I got it positioned on the anvil of my vise and used a larger punch to drift or as the old timers say "massage it " back into shape.

Kirk

CZ75B
PreB 75
Transitional 75 X 2

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 10:03:44 PM »
Nice work. Makes me re think what I want to do for my next gun. I have been wanting to give this a try for refinishing something in the future.
https://molyresin.com/
That's interesting stuff. I love running moly in my grease and oil. I have used CGW moly grease as a base, but I have a bunch of pure moly too. It is excellent and I've heard about ways moly can be bonded to surfaces. I'll have to read a little more on this mixture.

If I recall , I got it positioned on the anvil of my vise and used a larger punch to drift or as the old timers say "massage it " back into shape.

Kirk
Excellent, that was my guess! Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 02:02:43 AM »
Hit the range today and ran rounds through my Pre B Restoration pistol. I was still bent on figuring out if the fliers are me or the pistol. In the video I shoot the Pre-B 3rd. It gets the most time since they are slow strings of fire. There are two fliers and I am positive they were NOT me this time. Hmm...

2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 08:21:42 AM »
I sometimes get a hole in the target that can be 5" or more from the rest of them.

I'm pretty good at calling bad shots.  The sights just aren't where they should be when the gun fires.  I can see it (the front sight on the target - or not on the target).  Sometimes, I'm looking for that hole and not seeing it with the rest of them and I let the pistol down, stand there and look and then see it (not where I would have expected it to be).  I know the front sight wanders around on the paper.  I can see it.  I'm not happy about it.  I need to practice, here at home, just holding the pistol up and aiming at a target.  Build up my arms/shoulders to help some with that wander of the front sight around the target.

My pistols (except for a couple) are new CZ's.  They shouldn't be worn out, or very sloppy (some will be sloppier than others, but not shake it and hear it rattle like a WW2 1911A1 would rattle in the mid 70's when I was shooting them in the US Army.

I wonder, sometimes, if it is ammo related.  I have begun to segregate by head stamp for most of my reloading.  Can't tell yet if that helps much.

Scarlett Pistol, have you ever thought about becoming a pistol instructor?  Several years ago I was involved in Appleseed.  One of the things I noticed about helping others learn to shoot their rifles better was that sometimes I'd see a fault in someone else and suddenly realize I made that same mistake.  Little stuff adds up.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.